Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Safety razor

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Safety razor

Old 04-21-22, 11:28 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Someone could read that and conclude they need a LOT of stuff to use a razor with replaceable blades (non-cartridge). From that article you need:
  1. A razor handle that comes with a head
  2. The right blades
  3. A high-fat shaving cream
  4. An aftershave or an aftershave balm, because they help to soothe your skin
  5. A styptic pencil, in case you cut yourself because it stops the bleeding
I posted this photo above in a previous post, repeating it here:

1. One of those blade holders is the one I use at home, one is from my gym bag (35mm plastic film cartridge case as my protective case for it), the other is just another one I have. They are all vintage Gillette 1-9 adjustable razor blade holders. The ones with black handles appear to have a dissimilar metal corrosion issue inside the handle, if you are buying a used one and have a choice, I would lean away from the black ones. That said, the longer handle black one is the one I like to use, the longer handle feels better in my XL glove size hand. I have no idea what these sell for on the used market, I have had these since the 1980s. I did buy them used back then, before I bought these I used Schick brand injector razors.
  2. When I started to have trouble buying double edge blades in stores, I switched to buying Dorco blades in bulk on-line. They are cheap and just as good as the ones I used to buy before that. I have several more years worth in storage, do not remember what they cost.
  3. Shaving creams must have something I am allergic to, every one I have tried gives me a rash. I use soap. At home, use liquid hand soap, at the gym I use a bar of glycerin based soap, for travel I use whatever bar of soap I have for the shower, usually Ivory.
  4. I do not use.
  5. Have never owned one.
I think BobG said it best when he said how much you need to invest in this stuff, below.

For travel, I also use a Bic razor like BobG does, TSA does not confiscate it.
I linked to that post more for the "why is shaving with a double-edged razor better than with a Gillette Mach 13 Razor", not for the other stuff. Like a lot of things, people get obsessive about their hobbies and routines, and it's easy to go down a rabbit hole with this stuff. (See also: Bikes and Bike Touring.)

When I decided to get into "old-school" shaving about ten years ago, I looked at a few blogs and YouTubes. Some people get really serious about this stuff, and spend a lot of time checking out different tools and a lot of money in the process doing it. There are men who think nothing of spending $200 on a shaving brush, a tool whose sole purpose is to lather shaving cream. Sure, that $200 brush can lather up a dollop of cream in milliseconds, but I'm okay spending a few extra seconds using my old brush I got off of Etsy for $10. And "high-fat" shaving cream doesn't need to be expensive--I tend to stick with Prorasso, easily available and usually $10. With that $10 brush I'm able to make a tube last for months, more life than I'd get out of a can of Edge Gel.

And yes, some people make more of a process out of shaving than others. If you're used to "I put some Barbasol on my face and used a disposable", then the advice of pre- and post-shave stuff seems like a lot. But some people like it, and for some people it's their way of getting a good shave. You don't necessarily need all those extras. As for the styptic pen, I've had one for "emergencies". But it burns like a hot pepper, so I rarely use the thing.

And shaving cream/soaps is a personal thing. What works for some may not work for others. It's all a matter of trial and error.
Old 04-21-22, 11:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
You can get travel-sized "wet shave" stuff, just like you can get travel-size shampoo.
I'm guessing that tube of shave cream is 'lather on the face' (or do you use your dangle mug to work the lather?). That being your cycletour shaving kit, as I suggested in post no. 26, it would seem you are repurposing your oatmeal pot for a shaving basin, heating water over the camp stove (reasonable), and using yesterday's t-shirt for a towel (NTTAWWT).

Or maybe I'm just mired in ignorance*. Let's say we're at a Forest Service campsite with a pit toilet and a water spigot. Can someone guide me through their process with accoutrements of wet shaving on a camping cycletour? (For reference, I know about wet blade shaving at home; I alternate between a 1957 Schick Injector Hydro-magic and a 1915 GEM Damaskeene.)

BTW, wet shaving and camping cycletourists, the secret word for today is biodegradable:

*Would not be the first time.

Last edited by tcs; 04-21-22 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-21-22, 12:11 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I'm guessing that tube of shave cream is 'lather on the face' (or do you use your dangle mug to work the lather?). That being your cycletour shaving kit, as I suggested in post no. 26, it would seem you are repurposing your oatmeal pot for a shaving basin, heating water over the camp stove (reasonable), and using yesterday's t-shirt for a towel (NTTAWWT).
You could just put the cream on your face, but I do use the "dangle mug" to lather up. I might use a stove and (not oatmeal) pot to heat water. As for "towel", well, I use a towel. They do make travel towels as well. See photo (pen for scale):

Originally Posted by tcs
Or maybe I'm just mired in ignorance*. Let's say we're at a Forest Service campsite with a pit toilet and a water spigot. Can someone guide me through their process with accoutrements of wet shaving on a camping cycletour? (For reference, I know about wet blade shaving at home; I alternate between a 1957 Schick Injector Hydro-magic and a 1915 GEM Damaskeene.)
Horses for courses.

What I put in my shaving kit depends on what kind of tour I'll be doing, and how long.
  • Quick overnight or two nighter: I'd leave the kit at home.
  • If I was going to do a tour where I'd be guaranteed a "real bathroom" at least every third day or so, I'd bring some level of my wet shave travel kit: travel razor, shaving cream, brush. Maybe I'd bring some aftershave in a small bottle, maybe I'd just use some Aloe Vera Gel (that's always in my travel kit). I don't usually do the wet shave with a spigot and hot water from the stove, though I have done it in the past.
  • If I was doing a more bikepacking tour, a tour where Forest Service pit toilets would be the norm, or wanted to keep the kit minimal, I'd skip the kit above and bring a razor and either that stuff you depicted above, or possibly some shave oil, like the type Pacific sells: https://www.pacificshaving.com/natur...ing-oil-1-2oz/
Old 04-21-22, 12:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
... Can someone guide me through their process with accoutrements of wet shaving on a camping cycletour? (For reference, I know about wet blade shaving at home; I alternate between a 1957 Schick Injector ...
Basically the same thing I do at home. Get my face wet with my hands. I do not bother to run the water till it is hot, use cold. At home I use liquid hand soap but on a bike tour I use bar soap (usually Ivory) that I also use in the shower, rub the soap on my wet face to get my skin soapy. Then with my left hand (I am right handed) rub the soap around on my wet skin to get better more uniform coverage of soap where I plan to shave. Then with right hand, get the blade wet and shave. Traveling, I use a Bic, they clog up pretty easy with long whiskers or too many, so need to clean that out often.

I usually shave about once a week when traveling. I have a partial beard, so am only shaving part of my face. When you have a partial beard, it is less obvious when the part you shave has not been shaved for several days.

I try really hard to find campgrounds that have showers, and when they have showers they always have sinks. Since I also do sink laundry, I bring my own flat silicone drain stopper because campground sinks usually have no stoppers for me to do laundry.

Equipment: Bic razor, bar of soap (and storage box for soap), and drain stopper.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-21-22, 07:02 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
If I can't take a shower shaving is the next best thing. Shaving is refreshing and gives the illusion of having showered. An itchy two day stubble makes me feel grubby.
that's cool. it's all personal preference. one less thing (for me) to bother with.
first couple days may be itchy, but on a 6-month tour............you (well....I do) get used to it.

i might buy me a 25-cent "bric" knock off at the end of the tour to clean up before the flight home,
or before dealing with corrupt border officials at remote crossings.
depends on the budget at the end............heck, could also splurge for a $1 live barber shave.
Old 04-22-22, 11:56 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Someone asked about shaving cream. I use Arko soap in stick form, and put it in a twist up tube, similar to what deodorant sticks use. . I paid $11 for 12 sticks of Arko back in 2016, and I still have plenty left. It now costs $17 for 12, but it is still a bargain, and it is great shaving soap. I carry an Omega travel brush. It works really well and packs nicely in its own plastic cover/guard. I bought the boar bristle version from Amazon, but they don't have it anymore. Amazon does list the badger version now though, but it is naturally much more expensive. You can also get boxes for disposing razor blades on Amazon. I have one I have been using for four years that is not yet quite full.

I much prefer a double edged safety razor. The shave is better and more comfortable after you learn to use it. I have been using one since I began shaving, so I have that part down. I have tried others, but they require more pressure to work well, and that causes discomfort. With a safety razor you let the razor do the work without added pressure. More comfortable, and no razor rash. No cuts either if you if you use it correctly, i.e. don't add pressure. I haven't cut myself in over seven years. The last time I cut myself was when I was using a cartridge razor again before going back to a safety razor. The safety razor is much more economical too. 100 good blades will cost between $15-$20. I just bough 100 Astra Stainless blades for around $7.20. I have used the Astra Super Platinum blades and liked them. I decided to try the stainless version since many like them better. So far they are okay.
Second those recommendations. I have been using a DE razor for over a decade but my facial hair is more of a nuisance rather than a manly feature. I don't tour with this but I travel a bit. Arko sticks are excellent to fly with since they're neither pressurized nor liquid, and they're compact (you can even cut one in half). Astra blades have been really good to me, but my pack says they're in Russia so they might be hard to get soon. A 100 pack (500 blades) lasts a veeeery long time (possibly a decade). For home use Proraso shaving cream is awesome; it used to be more difficult to find in the US but now it's much easier (Amazon, even seen it at TJMaxx).
Old 04-22-22, 05:42 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Second those recommendations. I have been using a DE razor for over a decade but my facial hair is more of a nuisance rather than a manly feature. I don't tour with this but I travel a bit. Arko sticks are excellent to fly with since they're neither pressurized nor liquid, and they're compact (you can even cut one in half). Astra blades have been really good to me, but my pack says they're in Russia so they might be hard to get soon. A 100 pack (500 blades) lasts a veeeery long time (possibly a decade). For home use Proraso shaving cream is awesome; it used to be more difficult to find in the US but now it's much easier (Amazon, even seen it at TJMaxx).
From what I have read, Astra is a subsidiary of Gillette. I am sure they manufacture them all over.
Old 04-22-22, 06:25 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
A lovely breakfast at camp and its time to get a move on. Break camp, just before taking down the drying cord strung between the trees that goes into an outer pannier pocket, I pull out the Panasonic shaver from the same pocket, do a shave whilst roaming the site looking for any debris, and then off we go. More time enjoying coffee at camp, less time shaving.
Old 04-22-22, 08:42 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
From what I have read, Astra is a subsidiary of Gillette. I am sure they manufacture them all over.
Gillette brand is owned by P&G. My understanding is that most Gillette razor blades (Astra, Nacet, Gillette Blue, etc.) are currently made in St. Petersburg (RU). BIC (French brand, manufactured in Turkey), Feather (Japanese) or Derby (Turkey) usually receive good reviews,
Likes For gauvins:
Old 04-23-22, 06:45 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Gillette brand is owned by P&G. My understanding is that most Gillette razor blades (Astra, Nacet, Gillette Blue, etc.) are currently made in St. Petersburg (RU). BIC (French brand, manufactured in Turkey), Feather (Japanese) or Derby (Turkey) usually receive good reviews,
Yeah, I just looked at both the Astra SS and Astra SP I have, and they were both made in St. Petersburg. I just bought the Astra SS recently from Amazon. Get them while there is stock.