Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

is there a way to make make your lungs bigger?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 02:35 AM
registered usar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think my weakness right now are my lungs. i don't have asthma or anything but lungs don't match my heart or leg muscle capacity. i do not smoke....i think i got shortchanged with lung genes or something

is there some kinda of device or machine i can buy that can hopefully build up my lung capacity. hmmm. just now the thought of researching what those swimmers who hold their breath and try to dive as deep as they can do seems like a good place to start. i need some sleep now though. surpise me with responses when i wake up
Old 06-17-07, 03:07 AM
VT to CA
Roman Killer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, there are devices you push breath into that are supposed to increase lung strength/capacity...

They basically look like inhalers, but instead of a canister of medicine on top, there's a clear plastic tube with little ball in it. You're supposed to do exercises where you keep the ball levitated by blowing for a certain amount of time...

Don't know how well they work... but I think doctor's prescribe them for people recovering from lung surgery and other lung trauma?... anyone know if this is correct? If I'm right about that, I would assume they must be effective...
Old 06-17-07, 03:16 AM
blackjack51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's called training.....

I have read somewhere that slow, deep breathing helps however. That and altitude training. Both, i guess, are effectively the same thing in which you are training your body to become more effective at utilising the oxygen that is inhaled.

Last edited by blackjack51; 06-17-07 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-17-07, 03:27 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I didn't think it was possible to physically increase the size of your lungs, but it is possible to increase their efficiency (via training).
Old 06-17-07, 04:02 AM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In 3-4 years of solid training, you will/should hit your VO2max potential....so after you hit that, you're pretty much just working on your lactate threshold. Having a high lactate threshold is more important than having a high VO2max anyway....
Old 06-17-07, 04:05 AM
austinspinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
In 3-4 years of solid training, you will/should hit your VO2max potential....so after you hit that, you're pretty much just working on your lactate threshold. Having a high lactate threshold is more important than having a high VO2max anyway....

Hmmmmm, while Lance had a great but by no means record setting VO2 max, his lactate production levels were freakishly low any human. You could be onto something here...
Old 06-17-07, 05:30 AM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-17-07, 05:41 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have tried inhaling and never exhaling?
Old 06-17-07, 06:20 AM
lvleph
Should be out Riding

Bikes: Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by registered usar
i think my weakness right now are my lungs. i don't have asthma or anything but lungs don't match my heart or leg muscle capacity. i do not smoke....i think i got shortchanged with lung genes or something

is there some kinda of device or machine i can buy that can hopefully build up my lung capacity. hmmm.
just now the thought of researching what those swimmers who hold their breath and try to dive as deep as they can do seems like a good place to start. i need some sleep now though. surpise me with responses when i wake up
They use Yoga and meditation. I love free diving and one of my goals is to be able to hold my breath for 8+ minutes.
Old 06-17-07, 09:31 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by registered usar

is there some kinda of device or machine i can buy that can hopefully build up my lung capacity. hmmm. just now the thought of researching what those swimmers who hold their breath and try to dive as deep as they can do seems like a good place to start. i need some sleep now though. surpise me with responses when i wake up
What makes you think that your limit is your lungs? What sort of things are going on?

If you're running at a high cadence (or a cadence that is higher than you can ride efficiently) - for example - that can leave you out of breath.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 06-17-07, 09:34 PM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sing whne I shouldn't when I'm riding. If I'm climbing a big hill, I like trying to sing a verse without gasping.
Old 06-17-07, 09:36 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
No, you can't make your lungs bigger. You can improve oxygen delivery (DO2) and consumption (VO2Max) and the amount of power your legs can generate on the bike, but if you're fully grown there's nothing you can do to increase the size of your lungs.
Old 06-17-07, 10:05 PM
2Tired2Shift
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
No, you can't make your lungs bigger. You can improve oxygen delivery (DO2) and consumption (VO2Max) and the amount of power your legs can generate on the bike, but if you're fully grown there's nothing you can do to increase the size of your lungs.
Not to argue with an MD, but I've read several articles about deep single-depth diving that stated the divers do exercises to increase their lung capacity. May not be what the real effect is, though.
Old 06-17-07, 10:46 PM
huytheskigod

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0; Motobecane Le Champion; Pedal Force RS; IRO BFGB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
swim.
Old 06-17-07, 10:53 PM
fit24hrs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trust me, you don't want to increase total lung capacity. That's emphysema. X-rays of folks with emphysema have HUGE ballooned out lungs. The physiology is quite complicated but imagine being able to inhale but not exhale. That's how their lungs get like that. As for advice, try "turning your breathing upsidedown." I read book about this a long time ago. Focefully exhale as you train and let the recoil of your ribcage draw air. Works well for me when I remember to do it.
Old 06-17-07, 10:56 PM
Rocke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave, my friend and coach had me when we were spinning or moderate climbing, inhale and stop (hold it just for a moment) then exhale before the next breath. He and his father’s theory was that it trained the body to be better at exchange. I improved vastly riding with him, but also increased distance, cadence, intervals, etc. Riding at altitude will vastly increase exchange rate and increase red cells to boot.
Old 06-17-07, 11:11 PM
Squint
base training heretic

Bikes: Cervelo P3C, many Litespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a large overpressure event might do it, such as being a bit too close to a fuel-air explosive when it detonates.
Old 06-18-07, 12:12 AM
andrew.wetdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Technically smokers will have larger lung campacity. Back in "high" school, I had the largest lung capicty in the biology class. The teacher though I was a swimmer, but I just had one too many laps on the bong.
Old 06-18-07, 04:30 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yogic breathing techniques help you to "train" how much of your lung you actually use to to take in O2. This helps build stamina - see below:

Old 06-18-07, 05:45 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Shift
Not to argue with an MD, but I've read several articles about deep single-depth diving that stated the divers do exercises to increase their lung capacity. May not be what the real effect is, though.
There are a lot of markers of pulmonary function, and many are trainable/changeable. "Lung capacity" is a blanket term that is frequently used but seldom actually means what is medically referred to as total lung capacity (TLC).
Old 06-18-07, 08:40 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used yoga for free diving and it helped. There was a lot of "dead air" in my lungs that wasn't being exchanged during normal breathing.

This all worked well for me when taking long sustained breaths, such as pre diving, but not sure I notice any effect on a bike of running. It has improved my scuba air consumption but general fitness also helps there so seems inconclusive.
Old 06-18-07, 08:46 AM
mleess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my college years and for a while after, I did a lot of training inhaling on a 2-foot plastic tube, followed by holding my breath as long as possible. Always worked well for me.
Old 06-18-07, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
What makes you think the limiter is your lungs? I'm assuming that you're actually saying that you get short of breath before your muscles fatigue. If that's what you mean its highly unlikely that genetically small lungs is the problem.

The answer is training.

There also is a cadence issue. The old saw actually contains some wisdom: If your lungs hurt raise the gear, lower the cadence; if your legs hurt, lower the gear raise the cadence.

If your legs feel fresh but your too winded to push harder it may be you're riding too low of gear. However, in common practice most people ride too low of cadence.
Old 06-18-07, 08:58 AM
Greg180
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mleess
In my college years and for a while after, I did a lot of training inhaling on a 2-foot plastic tube, followed by holding my breath as long as possible. Always worked well for me.
You can increase your lung capacity doing Bong Hits?
Old 06-18-07, 09:43 AM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg180
You can increase your lung capacity doing Bong Hits?
At least it feels like it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.