Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a new Cranckset and Cassette

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-17-07, 04:22 AM
fabriciom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I currently have a Campagnolo Centaur 53-39 cranckset with a 12-25 cassette. For some reason when I change to the disk with 25 teeth it starts rubbing up against the front derailer. Also if I try to change from my 53 disk to the 39 while on the 25 it does not hook on right, it stays floating on the top of the 39 disk. I have no idea exactly what the problem is. According to some people I have a bad configuration with that cassette. So I wanted to fist get a better cranckset and if the cassette configuration is incorrect also fix that. What do you guys think?

-Thanks
Old 06-17-07, 04:33 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There is absolutely no reason a 53x39 and a 12-25 won't work perfectly together.

For some reason when I change to the disk with 25 teeth it starts rubbing up against the front derailer
If the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur in the 53x25 combo, than that's normal. Don't use that gear. If it's rubbing in the 39x25 combo, then the limit screws of your derailleur need to be adjusted an eensie bit.

if I try to change from my 53 disk to the 39 while on the 25 it does not hook on right, it stays floating on the top of the 39 disk
I don't know what you mean by "floating", but shifting from a 53x25 to a 39x25 is going to be difficult to get perfectly smooth; that's a major change in chain tension and chainline for the derailleurs to suddenly suck up. From your comments above (about the 39x25 rubbing on the FD), it's possible that adjusting the limit screws will give the FD just enough extra "push" to get it on?
Old 06-17-07, 04:57 AM
fabriciom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinF
There is absolutely no reason a 53x39 and a 12-25 won't work perfectly together.

If the chain is rubbing on the front derailleur in the 53x25 combo, than that's normal. Don't use that gear. If it's rubbing in the 39x25 combo, then the limit screws of your derailleur need to be adjusted an eensie bit.

I don't know what you mean by "floating", but shifting from a 53x25 to a 39x25 is going to be difficult to get perfectly smooth; that's a major change in chain tension and chainline for the derailleurs to suddenly suck up. From your comments above (about the 39x25 rubbing on the FD), it's possible that adjusting the limit screws will give the FD just enough extra "push" to get it on?
Hey Kevin thanks for the response, what would you recommend as a good upgrade for my cranckset? Something from FSA or upgrade to a Campagnolo Record Cranckset?
Old 06-17-07, 05:06 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fabriciom
Hey Kevin thanks for the response, what would you recommend as a good upgrade for my cranckset? Something from FSA or upgrade to a Campagnolo Record Cranckset?
I have a Daytona 10 sp, same as Centaur. The same thing happens to mine. It's me not the group. No upgrade will help. It would happen to a Shimano also. The group isn't designed to shift from 53/25 to 39/25. You shouldn't be in that combination anyhow. You should have been in your 39 chainring before you ever got to 53/25.

Don't waste your money on new parts. Use the group the way it was designed to be used. Centaur works as well as Record for half the money. Good luck

Tim
Old 06-17-07, 05:44 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your rear derailleur needs adjustment. Check both the limit stops and the cable tension.