Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can a peloton legally force you off the road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Can a peloton legally force you off the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-07, 08:47 AM
Shemp

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Gary Fisher Sugar2, Trek Madone 5.2SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to play the devil's advocate, let's say the peloton (why is this misspelled so frequently on a cycling forum?) comes up on this first-time rider faster than he could have expected as a first-time racer. If safely getting off the road means hitting the brakes or slowing with the pack on his tail, isn't that even more dangerous?

As for the comments about one's pride getting in the way, I'll take another stand as devil's advocate. This is amateur racing. Everyone paid the same entry fee, and as much as the new guy is riding for pride, the top finishers aren't riding for much more than that.
Old 06-18-07, 08:53 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Getting out of the way is one thing...stopping and/or getting off the course is another. Does anyone see auto racers stop and get off the course when being lapped? A slow rider is just another of many obstacles one faces in any race...or any ride - and 'professionals' will deal with it in the same manner, without complaint. If the riders in the peloton don't have the handling skills to do so safely, perhaps they are riding at a speed above their competence level and might consider going back a cat or two to ride at speeds they can handle.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-18-07, 09:00 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Getting out of the way is one thing...stopping and/or getting off the course is another. Does anyone see auto racers stop and get off the course when being lapped? A slow rider is just another of many obstacles one faces in any race...or any ride - and 'professionals' will deal with it in the same manner, without complaint. If the riders in the peloton don't have the handling skills to do so safely, perhaps they are riding at a speed above their competence level and might consider going back a cat or two to ride at speeds they can handle.
Get back in your Fred Trailer CC, we'll call you when it's time to shoot your scene.
Old 06-18-07, 09:02 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spry
Time to grow a set.
Now there's an adult comment.
Old 06-18-07, 09:06 AM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never been in a cycle race . . . so I am totally clueless with the specfics. I have run many a running race and this weekend will be my first Tri (different rules in the bike leg compared to a cycle race) . . . but I really have an issue with the 'race is over for you at this point' comments. Granted, I am into endurance sports (I was just a distance runner for a while) and my POV is 99% of the people involved are only racing themselves. The race is not over for me when someone else wins or passes me.

I cannot see how stopping and dismounting would in any way be safer or nicer than getting as far right and keeping a straight line would be. That seems like a recipe for a crash. Also, if it is a loop, how many times do you want him to get off his bike?

Now, if this is some higher level race this might not be the case. I admit, I am clueless here . . . I am used to open races . . . people with much different skills.

If I am wrong or need a clue, instead of just saying so or slamming me, inform me please.
Old 06-18-07, 09:08 AM
Bobby Lex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WCroadie
Like many have already said, you should have gotten off the road/out of their way, they are still racing, your race, for all [intents and purposes] is over....Technically, you did not have to get off the road, but it is the correct thing to do.
+1.

The scenario of a dropped solo rider plugging away @18mph being overtaken by charging peleton @28mph could end very badly.

Bob

P.S. It is irrelevant whether there was "room" to pass or not. You are assuming that the entire line of racers to the left will make room to allow the line of racers on the right to go around the slower rider. If just one of them decides to hold his line and not give way, the guys on the right are screwed. In that event, it would take hours to untangle the carbon, metal, fabric, and flesh.
Old 06-18-07, 09:11 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Get back in your Fred Trailer CC, we'll call you when it's time to shoot your scene.
Why, your ole lady miss me, gramps?
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-18-07, 09:12 AM
ChristopherM

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Don't let the racing snobs intimidate you ... go and ride your own race. Enjoy!
+1
Old 06-18-07, 09:16 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by indygreg
I have never been in a cycle race . . . so I am totally clueless with the specfics. I have run many a running race and this weekend will be my first Tri (different rules in the bike leg compared to a cycle race) . . . but I really have an issue with the 'race is over for you at this point' comments. Granted, I am into endurance sports (I was just a distance runner for a while) and my POV is 99% of the people involved are only racing themselves. The race is not over for me when someone else wins or passes me.
It's the diffence between running races, or even the bike leg of a triathlon, and a mass start bike race. For the most part when you're dropped from the pack, the dynamics of the race are such that you can't possibly catch up, and at that point you're no longer really racing, but just finishing out your training ride.

Originally Posted by Indygreg
I cannot see how stopping and dismounting would in any way be safer or nicer than getting as far right and keeping a straight line would be. That seems like a recipe for a crash. Also, if it is a loop, how many times do you want him to get off his bike?
As for a "loop" that would be a criterium race. In a criterium, the officials make a decision whether to pull riders that are out of contention based upon the course and the situation. In the lower category races, the officials try to let people finish if its safe to do so, but they'll pull riders that are getting lapped to avoid safety issues, and usually will pull them in the last 5 laps anyway.

In the higher categories, the riders out of contention just pull themsleves.
Old 06-18-07, 09:17 AM
dcbikeguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why, your ole lady miss me, gramps?
This thread is FINALLY getting interesting.
Old 06-18-07, 09:20 AM
rdk
Not Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 (my opinion is worth nothing, but this sounds sensible to me)

If a peloton can't pass a slower rider, then it obviously can't cope with windy roads, or roads that change width. I do agree though if it was the last few hundred metres of a bunch sprint it might be different.

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think the answer to this question has to be somewhat situational.
Scenario 1) Wide, straight road, relatively small pack, overtaking you at not a great speed differential, I wouldn't see a whole lot of need to do anytihng other than ride a straight line on the far right.

Scenario 2) Large pack, bunched across the lane, curvey narrow road, flying in the last kilometer to set up the sprint, the clear answer would be get the heck out of the way.
Old 06-18-07, 09:20 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Old 06-18-07, 09:24 AM
voltman
It is fantastic.

Bikes: 05 Specialized Allez Elite; 06 Fuji Team Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
If that's the answer to, are you a moron? Then yes that would be the correct answer.
No need to call the OP a moron.
Old 06-18-07, 09:30 AM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*sigh*

I've been on both sides of the story. Be considerate. If you're off the back, you're not going to win, so don't make their race more difficult.

In Texas, they inform riders that if they are off the back, they are to yield/get out of the way for other fields.
Old 06-18-07, 09:31 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by indygreg

Now, if this is some higher level race this might not be the case. I admit, I am clueless here . . . I am used to open races . . . people with much different skills.

If I am wrong or need a clue, instead of just saying so or slamming me, inform me please.
I too have done many running races, that's a totally different thing, comparing running races and tri's to road/crit racing is like comparing apples to oranges.

Again, I am not being an elitist or a snob but for those of you who have never been a road race you don't really have an idea of what it's like. It's totally different then a large group ride, etc. Some fields can be 100+ riders and a slower rider not getting out of the way can be a disaster, not because the 100+ guys can't handle a bike.

At the Union Grove race my field caught the masters 50+ field and guess what, they had to stop and get out of the way, while we passed them, pride and all.

It's a judgment call, if the pack is 15 riders, then yes they should be able to pass you easily without incident but I've raced with as many as 125 racers and the first few laps the pack was together.

Yes you should get off the road as many times as a pack is going to catch you, it's the appropriate and safe thing to do. I once got dropped in a crit, after I realized I would not catch back on and the main field would soon catch me, I pulled out. Yes I paid as much as the rest to race that day and the whole road was closed, but my race was over so I packed up my pride and went home. Why put other at risk just cause you had the right to be there?
Old 06-18-07, 09:34 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdk
+1 (my opinion is worth nothing, but this sounds sensible to me)

If a peloton can't pass a slower rider, then it obviously can't cope with windy roads, or roads that change width.
incorrect
Old 06-18-07, 09:35 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
IMHO the best thing to do would be stop and get off the road for a few seconds.
He likely would have had to slow and stop BEFORE getting off the road, in which case I got a fiddy saying he would have gotten even more sh*t about stopping in the road. Why should he risk a flat (possibly losing control and sending his bike back into the road) because you want an extra 2 feet of roadway?
Old 06-18-07, 09:36 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd be curious to know how many folks responding have actually raced in a 100-plus rider pack on a narrow road with the yellow line rule in effect and come across a slower rider, especially if you're pinned on the white line.

I have my guesses.
Old 06-18-07, 09:38 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
100 people? At a race?

You're talking about all Categories combined, and counting both spectators too, right? Do pregnant women count as one or two?
Old 06-18-07, 09:40 AM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100 people at a race is normal for Texas. That's per field, with at least 3-4 fields that size.

With packs that big, trust me, a person does get in the way. That's not me being elitist, but they really are a hindrance to the pack.
Old 06-18-07, 09:40 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ElJamoquio
100 people? At a race?

You're talking about all Categories combined, and counting both spectators too, right?
ElJamoquio, you need to come down here for a couple weeks. All the flatness of Michigan but with actual bike racing going on.
Old 06-18-07, 09:49 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrPete
I'd be curious to know how many folks responding have actually raced in a 100-plus rider pack on a narrow road with the yellow line rule in effect and come across a slower rider, especially if you're pinned on the white line.
I have my guess too and it's ZERO.

Per the USA Cycling rule book.
The maximum field limit in any youth race or a race exclusively for category 5 men or Category 4 women shall be 50 riders. The maximum field for a field that includes category 5 men with other categories shall be 75. For other events, if no field limit is given in the official race announcement, a field limit of 100 shall be used.

https://www.usacycling.org/forms/RdTrkCx_rulebook.pdf
Old 06-18-07, 09:52 AM
UT_Dude
Texas Fight!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soooo.... Everyone's a Cat 5?
Old 06-18-07, 09:52 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

That doesn't preclude higher than 100-person events...
Old 06-18-07, 09:53 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Originally Posted by DrPete
ElJamoquio, you need to come down here for a couple weeks. All the flatness of Michigan but with actual bike racing going on.
Sounds like fun. I might actually be making a trip to Baltimore in a few weeks, but I don't know if there will be room for cycling in the itinerary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.