Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

My updated Instructable for a DIY Halogen Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-09, 06:48 PM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

just wanted to share my updated DIY light. I started out using left over R/C racing pack batteries but I think they were pretty dead and so I left the project for a while. Then I started commuting again- 14miles. The route is mostly country roads and I felt I would much more comfortable with more light.

So I got two new 7.2v 2000mah batteries. I changed the connectors on them to banana-esque terminals so that they could be linked series for 14.4V. I found a water bottle that would hold both batteries but I still need to make a hole for the battery wires to protrude. I've also still only got a flood pattern bulb which is a nuisance- will be changing that shortly to a narrow beam (spot or something).

This thing is bright though! Check out my shoddy phone pictures on the Instructables website for an idea----->

https://www.instructables.com/id/Home...ight/?ALLSTEPS
Old 01-31-09, 09:35 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about adding an NTC thermistor inside the light housing for a simple soft-start to protect the bulbs?
Old 02-01-09, 05:12 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I haven't actually,

I was thinking about that but I was unsure of how to get the soft start. So its a NTC Thermistor? Soldered in series with the circuit? I have a few electronics stores around so I could probably get the component

Sam
Old 02-01-09, 09:00 AM
ellerbro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The light looks good. I love DIY stuff. One issue caught my eye though. I wouldn't use phone connectors for power because positive/negative can briefly short together when inserting/removing them. Their current rating may also be inadequate. I'd use barrel connectors (DC power connectors), for example:

Plug
Jack

I might have to use your PVC pipe approach for a DIY rear light I'm working on. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-02-09, 10:01 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samsmeg
No I haven't actually,

I was thinking about that but I was unsure of how to get the soft start. So its a NTC Thermistor? Soldered in series with the circuit? I have a few electronics stores around so I could probably get the component
That's right - they're rated by their room temperature resistance, say 5 ohms, which then drops to maybe 0.05 ohms or something when they're hot. It's not going to be as effective as a real electronically controlled softstart, but for a bike light though, at around $0.50 ea they seem like a good solution. Here's a website for one brand: surge-gard