Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclists are not athletes...?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cyclists are not athletes...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 04:56 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Let me get this straight. You've been wasting your time trying to convince a moron of something for a year? I don't know which of you is dumber.

But this thread is definitely up to BF intellectual standards...
Well said.

Old 07-19-09, 05:00 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
It goes without saying that this is ridiculous. It's these same guys who'll argue that big fat golfers and baseballers are supreme athletes
But the great thing about golf is supremely gifted, in top physical condition, #1 on the planet Tiger Woods missed the cut at the British Open and Tom Watson, at 59 years of age might just win.
Old 07-19-09, 06:09 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hamish200sx
Or you could just use caprisi salad. That's always an option. Let's see who gets that reference.
That episode is hilarious when Michael finds out Toby is back .

NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!
Old 07-19-09, 06:45 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by PipinFan
I'll tell you who is dum here Mr Smart.. let's see ahh is him and you as well...smart %$#@

priceless.
Old 07-19-09, 07:31 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
I have trouble sitting by when we start saying things like endurance and aerobic stamina are what makes cyclists athletes. In terms of endurance requirements, mountain climbing the world class peaks takes an incredible amount of endurance. People actually die, routinely, climbing some of the toughest peaks. Does that make mountain climbers athletes? No, they're just stubborn enough to keep at it until they become a world class climber.

And aerobics . . . you can take any willing slug and put him in an aerobic conditioning program and eventually he'll get there. That's not athleticism . . . that's just dogged conditioning over time. Anybody can do that.

I'm convinced the pro cyclists are athletes, simply because of all they have to be competitive in that sport. But endurance and aerobic stamina alone does not make you an athlete or a pro. There's some other intangible ingredient that is hard to put your finger on in cycling and that you must have to compete. I don't know what it is. I really don't care, because I don't have it.

Basketball, baseball & football are easier sports to distinguish the athletes from the non-athletes. When you have no 'game' in these sports it's clear to everyone looking and even to yourself. Some of you may want to belittle the athleticism of these guys because you yourself sucked when you tried them, but you can't take away the fact that these guys are athletes. That's ridiculous.

Maybe they can't do a century, but you'd fall on your face trying to even foul off a changeup. I bet with some practice most of them could do a century . . . well maybe not Sabathia . . . but there's no doubt that you couldn't hit a fastball with a lifetime of training. If you could, you'd be a baseball player.

So let's not forget. We wannabees -- You and I -- are not athletes because we can cycle good, or because we got aerobic stamina and endurance. If you sucked at the other sports, sorry, you suck at this one too unless you're a pro. There's an ingredient that separates the elite cyclists, the athletes, from us wannabees. When somebody discovers what that is please let me know. Until then you should just enjoy your passion and don't worry about what other people think.
Old 07-19-09, 07:35 AM
n8tron

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell him to descend a mountain road at 60+mph and still say it doesn't require skill.
Old 07-19-09, 07:48 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Nobody cares what those idiots think. Nobody cares what you think. Nobody cares what I think.

STFU and ride your bikes.
3+ pages of fluff and only one answer that is really............correct.

And it's from PCad no less.

I love these threads. I've been here since 2001 and no one has won one of these arguments yet.

Someone new is always willing to try though......

Old 07-19-09, 08:03 AM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think McDonalds will feel the loss if you and your esteemed colleague quit to pursue your athletic goals.
Old 07-19-09, 08:23 AM
YungBurke
Waiting for his CX

Bikes: Jamis Satellite, Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO, Fuji Team singlespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solution: Take his fat, ballpark peanut eating ***** outside, set up non cycling specific obstacle course. Spank him at obstacle course, preferably thrice. Inform him that your primary exercise is cycling. Query what his primary exercise is. You have just shown that cycling requires more athleticism than his brand of "x"
Old 07-19-09, 09:16 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if cycling isn't athletic, how did i nearly have a heart attack today trying to keep up.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-19-09, 09:19 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I've been having a dicussion now for about a year with a co-worker,with all the hype of the Tour de France and so on... he said that Cyclists are not athletes 'cause it does not take much skills to ride a bike... well I've been to the point to kill the guy sometimes,he compares Football, Baseball and Basketball as athletes but cyclist? Nahhhhh, he's getting too much under my skin now... funny 'cause since I'm a free diver he says.well to free dive 60-80 feet while spear fishing is OK but not cycling....

Opinions...
Agree with Response #1. He's a know it all jerk. I'd have a hard time coping with his stupidity.. Like to see him climb Mt Ventoux with it's extreme grade coming out of Vaison.. Fat arse football players, bet they can't./. Still, he's not worth arguing with.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 07-19-09, 09:20 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeride

Ha! Is that the guy who throws at 96mph, or is that another fat guy?
Old 07-19-09, 09:53 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Let me guess, your co-worker is the same person who can't understand why you spent all that money buying a bike from a bike shop when he sees a road bike at WalMart for under $250. It even says 'SHIMANO EQUIPPED" in 1 inch letters on the frame so it must be good.
Old 07-19-09, 10:05 AM
dolfinack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been having a dicussion now for about a year with a co-worker,with all the hype of the Tour de France and so on... he said that Cyclists are not athletes 'cause it does not take much skills to ride a bike... well I've been to the point to kill the guy sometimes,he compares Football, Baseball and Basketball as athletes but cyclist? Nahhhhh, he's getting too much under my skin now... funny 'cause since I'm a free diver he says.well to free dive 60-80 feet while spear fishing is OK but not cycling....

Opinions...
The troll knows... he is baiting you. Ignnore the troll.
Old 07-19-09, 10:09 AM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
Ha! Is that the guy who throws at 96mph, or is that another fat guy?
Yes I am sure that CC Sabathia cares what you think. He only makes 23 million a year for the next 7 years.
Old 07-19-09, 10:33 AM
Zan

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he said that Cyclists are not athletes 'cause it does not take much skills to ride a bike...
Bleh, fine, I'll do what should've been done a while ago.

Athleticism:
Originally Posted by American Heritage Dictionary
#1 Of or befitting athletics or athletes.
#2 Characterized by or involving physical activity or exertion; active: an athletic lifestyle; an athletic child.
#3 Physically strong and well-developed; muscular: an actor with an athletic build.
Athlete:
Originally Posted by American Heritage Dictionary
A person possessing the natural or acquired traits, such as strength, agility, and endurance, that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts.
Cycling:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
1. the act or sport of riding or traveling by bicycle, motorcycle, etc.
2. Also called bicycle race, bicycle racing. Sports. a race on lightweight bicycles with low handlebars, conducted for specified distances or against time on a dirt or board track or over public roads between cities.
So if you believe a cyclist is "physically strong and well developed," he must be "of or befitting ... athletes." Therefore he must possess "the natural or acquired traits ... that are necessary for physical exercise or sports, especially those performed in competitive contexts." No one would doubt that cycling is the "sport of riding or traveling by bicycle." Therefore, to participate in the "sport of riding ... by bicycle," you must possess the "strength, agility, and endurance that [is] necessary for ... sports." This makes you an "Athlete."
Old 07-19-09, 01:23 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just invite him to take a 150 mile ride at 25 mph and see whether or not any athleticism or physical conditioning was involved.
Old 07-19-09, 01:54 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jesspal
Your co-worker probably thinks that pro wrestling is real.
Wait.

It's not?
Old 07-19-09, 02:10 PM
Luddite
Mrs. DataJunkie

Bikes: Asama "Luddite" and Kuwahara MTB from the 90s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I was "not athletic" like real Cyclists...
Old 07-19-09, 02:11 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
what is your employer's policy on brawling at work?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 07-19-09, 05:34 PM
jdon

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bike Kid
Does he ride a bike of some sort? or is he too unskilled?

Steps to Success:

1. If he does, I would invite him on a ride...
That is all you need to do. I have used it on an annoying neighbor and he never commented on cycling again
Old 07-19-09, 06:02 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Opinions...
He is loony.
Old 07-19-09, 06:24 PM
scorch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar talk with a co worker of mine. I think it has to do alot with "attention *****dom". Someone who just wants to test you a little bit, and it goes back to mom and dad and the need for attention. Most likely, people who think this way are the youngest or only child. or have had some experience in their past that makes them think this way.. Just a little psychological idea to this.

But does it really matter what they think? Shrug it off and go ride.
Old 07-19-09, 06:28 PM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So if someone who is an athlete starts cycling he all the sudden is not an athlete?
Old 07-19-09, 07:15 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
You can't judge what you don't know well...

Has he ever been in a race in a pack at 50 kph average with other cyclists cutting your wheel, you step off your saddle to balance your body on the left to move your bike on the right o avoid that braking rear wheel of the rider in front of you, managing the holes while staying tuned for any echapee that could happen and watch your teamates in the pack to get into the front and catch back the 2 guys in front at 2mins or slow the pace of the pack to keep your rider in front permanently in the breakaway?

The answer is NO of course so his judgement is falacious and unaknowledgable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.