Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding with compression socks/tights?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 09:16 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

The older I get, the more I appreciate compression socks after a long ride. I have subs long rides coming up in the next few years - - an Everest in 2021 and PBP in 2023, if all goes well.

Does anyone have thoughts on wearing compression socks or tights DURING a ride? I'll be riding 24-plus hours in a row in both cases, so I'm guessing I should give it a rest every
​​​​ few hours?
Old 05-05-20, 08:27 AM
easy49

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do and I see other riders wearing them too sometimes. For me it's not optional due to circulation issues. I wear high compression knee high socks from the time I get up in the morning till bedtime. Hard to find sporty looking ones in the compression I need. Garneau had some that are discontinued.
Old 05-05-20, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I generally think compression a bad thing while riding. I want my blood to have free access to my leg muscles. Socks are about the only thing I wear that are a tad more than snug enough to move with my body and not rub.

Compression stuff might be useful for muscles that were strained or injured until they heal. All IMO of course.
Old 05-05-20, 01:03 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
FWIW pro riders entire getup is 'compression' and the general consensus is that compression garments facilitate
active endeavors and do not restrict blood flow and improve performance. I do have some compression knee
high non-medical grade socks I wear in the 45°F to 60°F range for warmth. I also have some sun sleeves that are
compression that are tight for 15' then I don't notice any more.
Would I wear compression shirts/jersey/bibs/shorts: no, but that is personal preference only and I have so much
cycle specific clothing from my acquisitive phase '96-'05 that I will never use it up.

Last edited by sch; 05-05-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-05-20, 01:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Do you know for certain it is compression? And how much? While many marketing terminology uses compression in their descriptions, it seems the desirable fit that I read about from so called experienced sources is generally described as form fitting and snug enough to move with you. Admittedly I'd be hard pressed to find sources to show you though, but that's what I've gleaned from articles I've read over the years.

I feel that I do much better in a cycling shorts and anything on my legs if it's only snug enough to move with me. Not compress me.
Old 05-05-20, 05:48 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I often wear my compression socks while riding. I've got various ones, from ones that only cover half my foot and go up to the end of my calves and look like pantyhose-type material and are meant to be worn under something else, up to full-coverage socks that go from the toes up to nearly my knees, and can be worn alone as normal socks.

I've got circulation issues from varicose veins in my legs that make this a good idea. I don't always wear them, but I should, and if I don't and sit down all day at my computer I'll often notice some swelling in my feet and ankles by the end of the day. If I wear them I don't. The nearly knee-high ones aren't as comfortable to wear as just normal socks, but for a long ride I just put them on anyway and get on with it. I don't feel it's hampered anything. Pedaling a bike does seem to keep the fluids pumping well enough to avoid the fluid pooling in the feet/ankle area, but I know if I wear the compression socks it'll keep it that way.

Where I really notice the swelling is either after being seated for hours on end, or if I'm on my feet all day. If I stand up and walk around from time to time it's less of an issue. When I fly in an airliner I always wear them, because that's just DVT waiting to happen, and thanks but no thanks to that.

Anyhow, not everyone needs compression socks, but if you need them you need them, and I see no reason not to wear them. It's not like most folks with varicose veins or other circulation problems are competing in UCI-sanctioned events where they'd be banned. I'll be wearing mine more often than not.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-05-20, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My wife has the foot-swelling issue and wears compression socks that come to just below the knee during the day, except when she's riding. She tried it and it made her feet cramp, probably lack of circulation, lactate buildup, whatever. For sure they're good after a ride and when flying. There have been some studies done with compression garments for recovery, result was maybe 10% improvement. Some ultra-runners wear them, but I've never seen them on a cyclist other than my wife trying them a couple times.
Old 05-05-20, 10:53 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
NO PHYSICAL ISSUES but I ride with Compression Calf Sleeves. 20 hours -- 307 miles -- age 66 and no issues of cramping or tiredness. Also worn during 5Ks to Marathons AND biking/marathon in my IRONMAN events.
Old 05-07-20, 04:55 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup, I've worn various length and snugness (?) compression hose for bike rides and even all-day use when my legs are bothering me. Subjectively, yeah, they seem to help. By "help" I mean "feels good."

People differ over whether it translates to improved performance. I can't say I've been consistently faster or stronger with compression hose. But it "feels good," and for me that makes it worthwhile on some longer rides.

Same with shorts and bibs. I can wear medium or small in most shorts and bibs and usually prefer the compression of the small, although they tend to run shorter in the leg length, about midway between my knee and hip rather than closer to the knee according to current trends. My shorts and bibs lengths tend to fit like 1960s-'70s cycling shorts. Subjectively, the compression seems to help my thighs on harder workout rides -- less muscle burning, fewer cramps.

My only problem with compression is my little toes are extremely sensitive to loss of circulation from pressure on the tops of my feet from socks or shoes that are too tight. So I have to be sure the socks, shoes and insoles/inserts are compatible. Usually I find out about 30 minutes into a ride when my little toes start stinging, then get numb.
Old 05-10-20, 07:47 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Thanks, all. I just did 45 miles with 4000 feet of climbing on Zwift, wearing a lightweight compression sock on the leg that gives me trouble. Worked like a champ, and no soreness in the one bulgy vein that normally gets me! I'm going to look into the sleeves OldTryGuy uses. Any links to product you like would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-20, 11:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
Thanks, all. I just did 45 miles with 4000 feet of climbing on Zwift, wearing a lightweight compression sock on the leg that gives me trouble. Worked like a champ, and no soreness in the one bulgy vein that normally gets me! I'm going to look into the sleeves OldTryGuy uses. Any links to product you like would be appreciated.
I have worn these for 5K to Marathons, biking and marathon in 2 Ironman Florida triathlons and tens of thousands of biking miles. Machine wash and hang dry. Started to show wear last year so extremely happy and only calf length since feet require nothing. Tried with feet and DID NOT LIKE.

ZENSAH >>> https://www.zensah.com/products/compression-leg-sleeves
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-11-20, 11:31 AM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I don't wear my compression socks while riding as I believe that the muscle action is enough to pump my blood sufficiently. I do wear them when working in the office, driving the car for long periods, or flying.
Anyway, after writing that, I asked myself whether I was right... so I did a couple minutes research. There are lots of articles touting the use of compression garments while exercising... from people selling compression garments. I did find, however, a serious study: Compression Garments and Exercise: No Influence of Pressure Applied from NIH.
Likes For MadKaw:
Old 05-11-20, 11:31 AM
cormacf

Thanks! Ordered!