Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Kick stand for loaded bike

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-04-22, 08:38 PM
derail3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

I have a Bike Friday NWT with a single leg kick stand. It works ok with lightly loaded rear Panniers. But as soon as I put front Panniers on it falls over most of the time.

Does anyone have experience using a double legged kick stand with a fully loaded four Pannier setup? If it is a good experience what brand and model was it.
Old 04-04-22, 10:11 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
I have this:

It weighs a lot, but can hold up 100 kg. Just make sure it is compatible.
Old 04-05-22, 01:26 AM
Grishnak

Bikes: Ridgeback Steel Tourer,Recumbent SWB,Steel Road,,Raleigh Twenty,Elephant Bike,Pashley Pronto TNT.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pletscher folding stand. Folds a bit neater.
Likes For Grishnak:
Old 04-05-22, 07:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
With a Bike Friday, I would have no clue what would work.

Click stand might be your only option, that is a foldable pole that you can use to lean the bike against it.

I do not have a clickstand but I made something similar from a tent pole to use on my folder, it folds up short enough to fit in my handlebar bag. I use an elastic to lock my front wheel from turning.

A better photo of my front "parking brake" with an elastic, below from a different bike, these are pony tail hair elastics.

Old 04-06-22, 05:18 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
With a Bike Friday, I would have no clue what would work.

Click stand might be your only option, that is a foldable pole that you can use to lean the bike against it.

I do not have a clickstand but I made something similar from a tent pole to use on my folder, it folds up short enough to fit in my handlebar bag. I use an elastic to lock my front wheel from turning.

A better photo of my front "parking brake" with an elastic, below from a different bike, these are pony tail hair elastics.
I also prefer the “clickstand” concept which puts the bracing point well above the loaded bike’s center of gravity. On rough ground (as at camp sites) it is much more confidence inspiring. And it does not crush the chain stays. I also custom made mine which engages the bike’s top tube, above most of the weight.

Pony tail elastics do work well for parking brake function, as do slices of old inner tube. Hair elastics must be quite popular as you can find them all over trails, more plentiful than Gu and protein bar wrappers.
Old 04-06-22, 05:21 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I'll just throw this out there. In all my years and miles of touring, I've never stopped somewhere that I didn't have something to lean it up against - a tree, a picnic table, the side of a building, something. Never once. Standing your bike up in the middle of nowhere is for picture-taking purposes only. Do you really need a kickstand?
Old 04-06-22, 06:58 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I'll just throw this out there. In all my years and miles of touring, I've never stopped somewhere that I didn't have something to lean it up against - a tree, a picnic table, the side of a building, something. Never once. Standing your bike up in the middle of nowhere is for picture-taking purposes only. Do you really need a kickstand?
Yeah, I admit that I wanted to take a photo where there was nothing to lean the bike against.

There were a few poles on the sides of the road to tell the snow plow drivers where the road was, but they were not strong enough to hold up a bike.

Old 04-06-22, 08:13 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Particularly with front panniers, you may just need to hold the bike up until it settles. If you park on ground with a slight slope, or in the wind, the bike will be more stable pointing downhill or downwind. And with a slightly steeper grade (for example, to control rain runoff in a parking lot) the bike will swing itself around, often rolling forward, until the kickstand folds up.

Of course, sometimes with a strong, gusty wind at right angles to the slope of the ground, you won't be able to find a stable position. Just lay the bike down if that happens!
Old 04-06-22, 10:29 AM
Tourist in MSN

In post number 4 above I showed my "parking brake" where I apply a brake to the front wheel so it won't roll.

I often have to set that "brake" with my single leg kickstand too (Greenfield mounted near rear left dropout), if the ground is not flat and if the front wheel can roll, sometimes the bike rolls so that the rear wheel will roll forward, and when that happens the kickstand can fold upwards so that the bike falls over.

Some people on this forum have also used velcro or some other strap to strap the front wheel to the downtube to prevent a bike from rolling.