Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Click

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 10:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Click

While on a 60+ mile day of riding Saturday, I developed a click. It's usually at the bottom of my right pedal stroke, and as long as I am JRA casually (cruising about 10mph on the flats), it is every pedal stroke. If I coast or even pedal lighter, it goes away. If I mash it, it goes away, and then comes back after a few light revs, can come back to a different part of the pedal stroke, but eventually migrates back to bottom/right.

It has advanced to sometimes be a double-click. Usually my solution to a new noise is to put my earbuds in, but this is loud enough I still hear it over my podcasts.

I captured it on a video during my commute this morning. The part where it goes away is because I PUT THE HAMMER DOWN (I think I may have reached 15mph)

Do I just need a new bottom bracket? Current is a UN-whatever square taper.

Last edited by RubeRad; 05-09-22 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-09-22, 10:35 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
I just got back from a ride that I noticed a click on every pedal stroke. Sounded a lot like that click a brooks saddle makes and took me forever to figure out. Anyway, I got home, started cleaning up my chain and actually got those tools out that fit down in the sprockets etc and really started cleaning. I must have neglected to do this for quite a while because it looked like very black mud in my derailleur, got the drive train all cleaned up actually shiny. As I was cleaning my pedals, I noticed my air pump handle had come loose and had extended into the bottom part of my pedal. Yep, that was the click, my air pump.
Old 05-09-22, 10:48 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I try to rule everything else out before pulling the BB. Noises travel in weird ways.

Check/lube/tighten pedal threads, chainring bolts, crankarm bolts, NDS BB cup, seatpost binder and cradle bolts, stem and handlebar bolts. Check for front derailleur cable end or shoelaces hitting the crank arm.

If none of these are the culprit, pull the BB, clean and lube the threads and re-install. If it persists, replace it.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-09-22, 11:00 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by making
I just got back from a ride that I noticed a click on every pedal stroke. Sounded a lot like that click a brooks saddle makes and took me forever to figure out. Anyway, I got home, started cleaning up my chain and actually got those tools out that fit down in the sprockets etc and really started cleaning. I must have neglected to do this for quite a while because it looked like very black mud in my derailleur, got the drive train all cleaned up actually shiny. As I was cleaning my pedals, I noticed my air pump handle had come loose and had extended into the bottom part of my pedal. Yep, that was the click, my air pump.
Tell me more about that -- I do have a Brooks.
Old 05-09-22, 11:06 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Rolla
I try to rule everything else out before pulling the BB. Noises travel in weird ways.

Check/lube/tighten pedal threads, chainring bolts, crankarm bolts, NDS BB cup, seatpost binder and cradle bolts, stem and handlebar bolts. Check for front derailleur cable end or shoelaces hitting the crank arm.

If none of these are the culprit, pull the BB, clean and lube the threads and re-install. If it persists, replace it.
Trying to 'feel' where the click is coming from in my feet, I get the impression it is the BB/chainring area. If it were the pedals it seems like I'd feel it stronger in my feet, if it was the saddle, it seems like I'd feel it in my butt. But you are definitely right, noises travel in weird ways!!

A few weeks back I was able to diagnose a pedal-synced noise on my MTB turned out to be a granola bar wrapper crinkling in my pocket. Another sound I keep having to re-figure out is ice rattling in my water bottle.

I did make sure a few weeks ago the chainring bolts were tight, I can check them again.

I should check stem and handlebar though. On that ride, after we broke for lunch I got on the bike and my drop bars pitched down! No problems on the 30mi before lunch, but suddenly my stem bolts were super loose! It was so suddenly bizarre I think it's most likely somebody pranked me
Old 05-09-22, 11:58 AM
making
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RubeRad
Tell me more about that -- I do have a Brooks.
When you have not put that brooks dressing on the leather after a while it starts to click. I at first thought it was the BB, then the pedals or even my shoes, ever revolution on my right side. Some one on this forum told me to put that dressing on my seat and make sure I did the bottom of seat and some type of lube on the metal parts. I did and the click was gone forever. Drove me nuts. Still am.
Old 05-09-22, 12:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

wow I will look into that. I got the brooks used, on a bike I bought, I've never done anything with it. I have a jar of sno-seal I could apply, and I can try to figure out if there are metal parts clicking
Old 05-09-22, 12:30 PM
making
Super Moderator

wow I will look into that. I got the brooks used, on a bike I bought, I've never done anything with it. I have a jar of sno-seal I could apply, and I can try to figure out if there are metal parts clicking
They call is Proofide and it is silly expensive. But a little can lasts a long time.
Old 05-09-22, 12:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
BB is the first place everyone suspects for noises. Very likely few BB's were the actual issue for any.

Do you feel the noise as well as hear it? If so, then I'd suspect the pedal. But usually that's just before the bottom of the stroke and not at the bottom of the stroke. Change pedals and you can quickly find out yay or nay. Cleaning, re-lubing and adjusting the pedal spindle bearings fixes it if you have pedals that can be re-built.

I'd check all your chain ring bolts. That made a funny somewhat clicking noise for me once.

Might just be the normal out of true chain rings sometimes get and your chain is bumping the side of the front DR cage. Do you have trim on your shifters and do you know how to use it?

Saddles as mentioned are a good thing to check. Seat post might rock in the seat tube too if extended too high. That's usually a squeak though.

And once, after about three months of casually looking for a click that sounded like it was in the BB, I found it to be the metal zipper tag from a bag under my saddle banging on the brake caliper when I started putting power into the pedals.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to fix things until the noise has shown you exactly what it is from. You can spend a lot of money chasing noise. It is unlikely to cost you any more to fix the problem once it actually is a problem.
Old 05-09-22, 12:36 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't think this is the source of your noise, but I always drip a little lubricant or melted Proofide wherever the rivets connect the saddle to the frame.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-09-22, 01:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you feel the noise as well as hear it? If so, then I'd suspect the pedal. But usually that's just before the bottom of the stroke and not at the bottom of the stroke. Change pedals and you can quickly find out yay or nay. Cleaning, re-lubing and adjusting the pedal spindle bearings fixes it if you have pedals that can be re-built.
I can feel it, but not strong enough for me to get the impression that it's the pedal. But I can def test a pedal swap, see if it goes away.

Might just be the normal out of true chain rings sometimes get and your chain is bumping the side of the front DR cage. Do you have trim on your shifters and do you know how to use it?
Good thought, I do have a rather wonky little ring, and there was a time early in my BF history that I had trim and didn't know how to use it. But my current situation is my FD got mangled so I threw it away. I have a friction FD shifter up on my brake (Retroshift/Gevenalle) that is connected to nothing. I only ever use the 34T ring anyways, so I'm fine leaving the 50T there just as a bashguard.

And once, after about three months of casually looking for a click that sounded like it was in the BB, I found it to be the metal zipper tag from a bag under my saddle banging on the brake caliper when I started putting power into the pedals.
lol it's so often something dumb like that! I'll check, but I don't think so. Right now my seat bag is vinyl-strapped to my seat rails, and since the velcro strap around the seat post broke, I'm using an old shoelace to keep it from swinging. The loose dangly aglets are way in the back, in open air, and I'm sure could never click that loud anyways. I can double-check though.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to fix things until the noise has shown you exactly what it is from. You can spend a lot of money chasing noise. It is unlikely to cost you any more to fix the problem once it actually is a problem.
Oh I'm really good at not spending money, and not being in a hurry. (See FD, above)
Old 05-09-22, 01:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by making
They call is Proofide and it is silly expensive. But a little can lasts a long time.
Yup, that's why I bought sno-seal instead
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-10-22, 12:20 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

last night I had time to flip the bike and drip some chain lube around Brooks frame metal contact areas, and double-check chainring bolts were tight (they were). No change to the Click.

Not riding tomorrow, but might be able to rustle up some other pedals for a test swap on Thu.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-11-22, 03:09 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Make sure your cassette lockring is torqued down to spec.
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 05-11-22, 03:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It could well be loose, but wouldn't that make a noise that is dependent on what cog I'm on, not always synced to pedal stroke?
Old 05-11-22, 04:25 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Yeah, just trying to suggest the easy things first.
Old 05-12-22, 08:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
It could well be loose, but wouldn't that make a noise that is dependent on what cog I'm on, not always synced to pedal stroke?
No, if the cassette is loose, then any movement resulting from it being loose will likely be synced to your pedal stroke.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-12-22, 08:45 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I changed out a BB a while back only to find it was a pedal. A bit difficult because you don't have a spare set, but if I were a gamblin' man........
Old 05-12-22, 09:36 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I do, I just have to take them off another bike. Just adds another couple minutes to the swap. Plan to do that today actually
Old 06-06-22, 10:23 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

It was the pedal(s). Took me about a month to get around to testing a swap, but I noticed right away the swapped-in pedals feel smoother, and no noise.

Rotating the spindle of the noisy pedal by hand, I can't feel any clicking or crunching, just smooth (but greasy/thick) friction. I guess it has to be under the right load or something.
Likes For RubeRad: