Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Almost Car Free AGAIN!!!!

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 01:54 PM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Bikes: Nishki road bike, Old Sears road bike, Trek 830 Mountain bike, Light Ride folding bike, Mismatched Commuter Bike, and a very cool Porta Cycle Folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right now I am far from being car free. When my husband lost his job, I took on a delivery job. Things progressed and right now have 3 jobs that all require some sort of vehicle. I have been applying for jobs and trying my hardest to find a job close by. There is one job that I have been trying to get since December. They are still trying to figure out if they can hire me and if some of the higher ups really want me. It is almost February and I am still waiting. If I get this job I can ditch my car, and my three jobs for one very nice job. It comes with nice benefits like free bus pass and actual health and dental insurance. Just hoping I can get some crossed fingers or prayers or whatever it is you do, from the Living Car Free Forum!
Old 01-31-10, 04:04 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tieka
...Just hoping I can get some crossed fingers or prayers or whatever it is you do, from the Living Car Free Forum!
We could light up blinkies and have a vigil, I guess. Best of luck getting the job you really want, and congratulations for finding the jobs that are getting you by.
Old 01-31-10, 04:20 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tieka, I hope things work out for you. It would certainly be nice to be able to reduce your dependence on the car, besides all the other benefits (like health insurance... wow!)
Old 01-31-10, 05:58 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I wish more people were like the OP who look for jobs and careers that will enable them to be car free. I suspect the cost of motoring alone consumes most of the income from one of her jobs.

Over the years, I have done exactly what she did and would never even think of looking for a job that requires a car. In my opinion, looking for a job that can be reached by bus or tain normal. In fact, if it cannot be reached with public transportation, I will not work there. Simple as that.
Old 01-31-10, 08:01 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I wish more people were like the OP who look for jobs and careers that will enable them to be car free. I suspect the cost of motoring alone consumes most of the income from one of her jobs.

Over the years, I have done exactly what she did and would never even think of looking for a job that requires a car. In my opinion, looking for a job that can be reached by bus or tain normal. In fact, if it cannot be reached with public transportation, I will not work there. Simple as that.
I have had jobs like that but they went away...outsource, off-shored, whatever. At the time being a home owner and having two children is school kind of limited the choices. You do what you have to do to make it work at that time. I had to go from very car light to on the road to make a living.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-31-10, 08:19 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve

6 months ago I would be thinking "right on," with choosing only jobs that don't need a car. Since my brief, yet severe, illness and brief return to the car (since returned to the rental agency), I have learned not to say "never" with anything anymore. I had to accept that certain periods in my personal life and professional career might push me to actually get behind the wheel. But I am proud to say that I take no pleasure in driving. I really did miss my bikes and now am "reunited" with them. I had to come to accept during my "bike break" that I do live in the United States plus in one of the most hostile places toward bicycles and public transit-Southern California. If you don't believe me, here is a news video on the anti-bicycle feelings sometimes expressed by many motorists in my area.

Los Angeles Local News "Proposal To Protect Bicyclists From Motorists"
By Gene Gleeson-KABC News Los Angeles
https://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=7212899

Short Video On How This Attitude Came To Be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk2xhRCoAEw

Last edited by folder fanatic; 01-31-10 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 05:58 PM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Bikes: Nishki road bike, Old Sears road bike, Trek 830 Mountain bike, Light Ride folding bike, Mismatched Commuter Bike, and a very cool Porta Cycle Folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
We could light up blinkies and have a vigil, I guess. Best of luck getting the job you really want, and congratulations for finding the jobs that are getting you by.
That sounds like a great idea! I don't know if will help, but sounds like fun anyway.
Old 02-05-10, 06:00 PM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No word on the other job yet, but I will be cutting down on some driving soon. Only about 60 miles less a day, but that should feel like a big raise!
Old 02-05-10, 07:51 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I'm still hoping that you'll get the new job.

It also strikes me as absurd that we live in a "developed" nation where:
  • it's difficult for many people to live in a town or city without a private car
  • many working people don't have medical insurance.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-06-10, 09:58 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It also strikes me as absurd that we live in a "developed" nation where:
  • many working people don't have medical insurance.
No ****... that's got to the be conundrum of the century.
Old 02-09-10, 08:12 AM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe it is so hard to get health insurance, and then when you do get it, it doesn't cover much.

I am contemplating opening a bike business early just to get health insurance. I wanted to wait to open it later, after we got some money saved and everything, but we both need health insurance now. I guess I will have a little more time since I finally put in my notice for one of my jobs. It is the best feeling to know that I will have a couple more hours a day to myself
Old 04-12-10, 03:55 PM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe it has taken so long, but the job finally came through! I start on Monday! I can't believe the job is so close to my house and after all this time it they still wanted me. Thanks for the good thoughts and comments I received.
Old 04-12-10, 05:36 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes!
Old 04-13-10, 08:37 AM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woo hoo! That is excellent news!
Old 04-13-10, 11:55 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Congratulations. That has got to feel good.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 04-13-10, 04:38 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That's great news. Are you buying the next round?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-13-10, 07:18 PM
tieka
Not a bike snob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to buy a round... you must live in Colorado though.
Old 04-14-10, 09:56 AM
cyclokitty 
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Congrats on the new nearby job! That's great!!