Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a 1985 or so Trek 620 touring bike?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-26-10, 09:21 PM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am rebuilding a Trek 620 and I am missing whatever attached to the bridge between the chain stays to take the front derailleur cable from the groove under the bottom bracket shell. Can anyone describe it to me please? I have worked out an alternative but I'd like to do it like the original. The rest of the bike is NOS replacements of the original parts that i had lying around. (Yea I have one of those basements.) I appreciate the help. Ron
Old 09-27-10, 02:15 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ronp6
I am rebuilding a Trek 620 and I am missing whatever attached to the bridge between the chain stays to take the front derailleur cable from the groove under the bottom bracket shell. Can anyone describe it to me please? I have worked out an alternative but I'd like to do it like the original. The rest of the bike is NOS replacements of the original parts that i had lying around. (Yea I have one of those basements.) I appreciate the help. Ron
I have that exact bike (it's kind of creepy, even though I know Trek must have made thousands of them) and when I got it, the cable just went up through the groove, behind the seat tube and straight to the derailer. It doesn't seem like the best system, but my bikes been ridden for 25 years, and it hasn't done any damage to the frame.
Old 09-27-10, 06:54 AM
ronp6

Bikes: Seven Cycles ID8 & steel Axiom; Bridgestones: MB-1, RB-T, XO-1, '85 Orange Gran Velo; electrics: Bionx, Swytch, Eflow Nitro; Merlin early MB; Raleigh Twenty & a lot of comings and goings

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I was wondering if that would work long term. I wasn't worried about the bottom bracket shell just the cable wear. I have an original Huret front derailleur and it would work OK by not using the cable stop on the derailluer but it really isn't great.

I used a noodle from a V-brake using the hole in the bridge to anchor using a brake stop mounting from an old center pull bike. That allows me to use 5" of cable housing to the derailleur. It shifts perfectly but it is obviously cobbled. I could always drill and tap the bottom bracket for a cable guide. It looks like it will be a great touing bike. Thanks again. Ron
Old 09-27-10, 08:40 AM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.lickbike.com/productpage....=%270572-00%27
Old 09-27-10, 09:47 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by ronp6
My wife's 1983 Trek 620 had the FD cable feed through the BB under cable guide then up directly to the FD, which was a Cyclone MkII for triple. I'm not familiar with what part you may be missing. Are you trying to have a housing between the guide and the FD? In that case, you'll need stops on both ends... PG
Old 09-27-10, 10:06 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If you are trying to fix it up as original, why are you using a Huret derailleur? It should probably be a Suntour or Shimano.

Also, almost all good quality bikes from the era had the cable running directly up from the BB cable guide to the derailleur. Even bikes with cheap front derailleurs with the built in cable stop just had a bare cable running up from the cable guide through the hole in the derailleur cable stop and clamped in place.

Last edited by LarDasse74; 09-27-10 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I keep misspelling 'THE'
Old 09-27-10, 10:10 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
If you are trying to fix it up as original, why are you using a Huret derailleur? It should probably be a Suntour or Shimano.
Early Trek touring bikes had a bit of a love affair with Huret; French parts in general actually. Most Trek bikes came with a Maillard Helicomatic, and and an awful lot had Huret derailers, especially touring bikes( Dup-par).
Old 09-27-10, 10:14 AM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Early Trek touring bikes had a bit of a love affair with Huret; French parts in general actually. Most Trek bikes came with a Maillard Helicomatic, and and an awful lot had Huret derailers, especially touring bikes( Dup-par).
My mistake! Just looked it up on www.vintage-trek.com and you'se all are right.
Old 09-27-10, 11:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
There was no additional piece to guide the cable; the plastic guide under the BB shell was all we used for the front derailleur cable.

N.B. Harry Spehar was the product manager at that time, and as noted he had a fondness for French components, and they were a good value as well.
Old 09-27-10, 11:40 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
There was no additional piece to guide the cable; the plastic guide under the BB shell was all we used for the front derailleur cable.

N.B. Harry Spehar was the product manager at that time, and as noted he had a fondness for French components, and they were a good value as well.
I've always wondered why exactly this was; my first vintage Trek was almost entirely French, down to the Ideale saddle (Which I later realized was aftermarket). It confused me greatly.
Old 09-27-10, 09:51 PM
ronp6

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is only a groove in the bottom of the bottom bracket shell and no plastic guide. If I run the cable to the stock front derailleur it conflicts with the stock cable housing stop. It shifts perfectly with the cable housing solution I used but I may give up on it and just put on an Shimano XT front and rear and 700c rims to make it more reliable. If you have a NOS Sach Huret DOPAR ECO that has been hanging around for 3 years and buy a frame that had one originally it seems like it is meant to be. Thanks for all the input. Ron