Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Just bought a 1995 Univega Sport Tandem...what do you think?

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-31-11, 10:15 PM
jmonsw21
jmonsw21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bike is in great condition with just tids of rust here and there. I think the wheels were brand new (tires as well) and the seats were tearing but those were going to be replaced anyways. I think I got it for an amazing price at $140 ( I probably would've paid up to $300) and I've made a bunch of people ride it with me since I bought it a few days ago. I mostly got it because I rented a tandem in Madrid on a trip this summer with my girlfriend and it was an amazing experience. We had a blast!

Basically my question to everyone is what do you think about the quality of this bike? Can I take it down a hill at 50 mph? I already got rid of the huge 1.95" cross/hyrbrid tires and threw on some 1.25" slicks. What about bars? The ones it currently has are HUGE and are very comfort based but I rather have something much less wide (maybe like 40-44 cm wide (I'm only 5'3" and girlfriend 5'4"). Drop bars? Just want some opinions to help me make up my mind on where to spend money on this bike. I also just ordered a rear rack and was considering throwing on some fenders too. Thanks for the opinions! I'll probably upload more detailed pics as I take them.

Old 08-31-11, 10:16 PM
jmonsw21
jmonsw21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I say a hill I mean a bridge considering I'm in Miami and no longer in the hills of central Italy boo hoo!
Old 09-01-11, 06:02 AM
sneezy

Bikes: '07 Sequoia elite Specialized Hardrock Univega Tandem Sport Schwinn world sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition! We've been riding a 2001 Univega Sports Tandem for 3 years and we are in the Litchfield Hills in Connecticut. It is a heavy sled but it will make you stronger. We have a rear rack and a trunk bag to carry tools and necessary items. We have ridden several charity rides up to 100k. Enjoy the ride, you have a great start!
Old 09-01-11, 09:34 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Wow, what a find, at the price you paid for your tandem, you can do a lot of "upgrading" to reach the $1100 we paid for our Trek T-900! That was our first change out, to thinner hi-pressure tires, we've also changed the stroker bars to "euro trekking bars", added two handlebar water bottle cages. Got a set of the trekking bars on order for the "capt. too". Added a rear rack, lights, computer, etc. If you've got the funds, I'd have a good shop do a "overhaul" to make sure all the bearing, etc. are in good shape, jmho, ymmv. Here in So. Colorado, it's very normal for a afternoon thundershower all summer so yes, we also added fenders asap! Have FUN!

Old 09-01-11, 09:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jmonsw21
Basically my question to everyone is what do you think about the quality of this bike? Can I take it down a hill at 50 mph?
I doubt you'll get that bike up to 50 MPH even down a long hill with those handlebars because you'll catch too much wind. Mrs. Grouch and I once saw 50 MPH coasting down a hill on our much modified Schwinn Twinn but that was before I developed my good sense. I wouldn't attempt that today.

When I had my shop I used to keep 3 tandems in stock - a Santana, a Burley and a Univega or a KHS. It was interesting to ride one right after the other. I discovered that most of the difference is in the frames. As you move up the price bracket, the bikes became more solid and stable feeling. By itself, the Univega felt fine but, immediately after riding the Santana,the Univega felt noodly to the point of being scary.
Old 09-05-11, 05:21 AM
jmonsw21
jmonsw21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the opinions. I put some old meh drop bars on it and through the brakes and shifters that were on it onto the drops. Needless to say it looks unorthodox and rather hideous but it's a quick solution to not being a parachute. Ill either throw brifters in it or regular road brakes with bar end shifters... Hmmm.
My girlfriend complained to me about the fit (I put flat bars on the back) and said she felt too hunched over. I'm probably going to need to get her a stem which rises up. Will any site like nashbar/performance have that stuff or are there specialty sites I should check out?
Thanks again for all of the responses, glad to finally be part of the tandem world!
Old 09-05-11, 08:06 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Maybe a more modest riser bar than the stock one would work for the stoker.
Are you sure that plain flat bars wouldn't be an improvement for the captain, compared to the stock bars? And then the shifters and brake levers would not be hideous.

Tandems East has been recommended by others.
https://www.tandemseast.com/parts/stems.html
Old 01-11-12, 02:59 PM
Midlake Crisis

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
To the original poster -
I am looking at buying an almost identical bike in California. I would love to hear more about your experience with the Univega, and if you would buy it again.
My wife and I are mid 40's, I am in fair condition and enjoy action sports like jet skiing and kayaking, she is not very active due to health issues but can take short rides on the bike no problem. I am looking at the Trek T900 new, but it is 5x the price. . .
Old 01-11-12, 07:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jmonsw21
Will any site like nashbar/performance have that stuff or are there specialty sites I should check out?
I'd suggest Tandems LTD or Tandem's East.
Old 01-14-12, 11:39 AM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bargain!
That's cheaper than renting a tandem for the weekend!
While it's a bit on the heavy side it is a good introductory tandem.
When/if you want something better/lighter, you can get your $$ back on the Univega!
Don't sink a lot of $$ into it.
As for 50 mph . . . you'll never achieve that on a 'downhill' in Florida!
Perdal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 11-10-21, 01:13 PM
can1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
univega tandem for econversion

would I be guessing correctly that a Univega sport will be to flexible a frame for an ebike conversion. plan is recreational riding.
thanks for any opinions