Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bar End Shifter 'er No? That is the question.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bar End Shifter 'er No? That is the question.

Old 10-29-18, 05:34 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
First off, I love bar end shifters. All of my main bikes have them. The Suntour barcons are as good as everyone says. Even so, I stumbled on some old shimano bar end shifters that are, in my opinion, far superior. The feel like retrofriction shifters to me.

not my photo:

Old 10-29-18, 05:37 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Back in the day lots of us raced with bar end shifters. My 1964 Legnano came new with them. I loved them then, and I love them now.

Then ...

... and now.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-29-18 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 05:46 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PilotFishBob
I know all about fiction bar end shifters, I've reached for them when switching from one of my bikes with bar ends to one with DT shifters. Yep, I feel a bit stupid every time...
+1 I have brifters, bar ends and downtube shifters. I feel really stupid when it takes three tries to find the shifters.

One big advantage for the bar ends is riding with mitts when its below freezing. Downtubes work OK but there's no shifting both with one hand and its a bit of a fumble. Brifters are hopeless. Bar ends are no problem, don't even know you've got the mitts on.
Old 10-29-18, 05:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
First off, I love bar end shifters. All of my main bikes have them. The Suntour barcons are as good as everyone says. Even so, I stumbled on some old shimano bar end shifters that are, in my opinion, far superior. The feel like retrofriction shifters to me.

not my photo:

That would be the L600 First Gen Dura Ace. They have a counterspring. Smooth as butta! I have 5 or 6 pairs of them.
Old 10-29-18, 06:14 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
Whilst we’re on the topic, has anyone else noticed if routing bar-end shifter cables under the bar wrap affects shifting smoothness? They tend to undergo a pretty tight bend near the stem as they exit the wrapped portion.

Although I’m more bothered by [brake] cables encroaching the space above handlebars than shifter cables hovering below the bars, it *is* nice when the entire area is cleaner and hidden under the wrap.
Old 10-29-18, 06:30 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Whilst we’re on the topic, has anyone else noticed if routing bar-end shifter cables under the bar wrap affects shifting smoothness? They tend to undergo a pretty tight bend near the stem as they exit the wrapped portion.

Although I’m more bothered by [brake] cables encroaching the space above handlebars than shifter cables hovering below the bars, it *is* nice when the entire area is cleaner and hidden under the wrap.
I have two bikes with bar end cables routed under the bar tape. Never felt any issues with shifting them. I have never ridden a bike with the lower bar cable exit, I just think it looks awkward and untidy. On the blue Legnano above, besides the factory routing beneath the bar tape, I had Campy aero brake levers too. That was a really clean uncluttered set up, especially with the handle bar mounted bottle cage. When Eroica mandated top exit cables, I changed back to the stock top exit Universal levers shown above. Aeros are now Eroica legal, but I already used them on my Peugeot.🤨
Old 10-29-18, 06:34 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
In a different vein...and at the risk of being labeled a nonconformist...I absolutely love my indexed Shimano bar ends, as well as the mustache bars!

Old 10-29-18, 06:44 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 197 Posts
Another vote for the more modern Shimano bar ends - the Suntour ratcheting units are nice, but the little bend in the Shimano lever is ergonomically superior. I use mine in friction mode, with the cables all the way under the bartape so I can use pogies on this bike when it gets cold.

Old 10-29-18, 06:47 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter. Modern 11-speed indexed drivetrains are more sensitive to bad behaviors in cable&housing than old-school friction setups, and they leave the wrap the same way.
Old 10-29-18, 06:59 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Originally Posted by HTupolev
It doesn't seem to matter. Modern 11-speed indexed drivetrains are more sensitive to bad behaviors in cable&housing than old-school friction setups, and they leave the wrap the same way.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 10-29-18, 07:01 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Thank you for all the responses! I did not think I would get so many! I do like the look of the cables under the tape. I have some mustache bars too that I am keen to try, maybe I will try them together!

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 10-29-18, 07:03 PM
crandress 

Bikes: 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1953 Terrot

I will start with the ones I have and look for some C&V Suntours to try as well! Now which bike to try them on...

Crapmaster Emeritus
Old 10-29-18, 07:14 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Regarding the Suntour/Shimano question, I’ve always considered Shimano setups more sterile. The indexing is crisp, but seems to be rigid and relies on forgiveness from the hg cassette. Friction mode feels even worse, requiring lots of trimming. I think they are definitely designed to work better indexed, and with Shimano components. I must say, however, that reliability has always been excellent.

Suntour’s accushift, at least on my complete XC 9000 setup, works flawlessly in both modes. There is a ‘springiness’ that always seems to bring the lever far enough to switch cogs, but brings it back to perfect alignment after shifting— no trimming needed. However, this takes a bit longer to first setup whenever I replace cables.

Friction with ratcheting has always given me great confidence in use. This applies to all older Suntour barcons I own.
Old 10-29-18, 07:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Use enough housing that you can X them in front of the head tube. Run them both through an O-ring/retainer. It will hold them in place. Do the same for the brake housing.

Last edited by seypat; 10-29-18 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 07:58 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My first encounter with barcons was waaaay back in '76 on my college roommate's bike. I felt that the barcons were a marked improvement to either stem- or downtube shifters -- Never having to take one's hands off the bars to shift! Just slide the hand back a bit and shift with either the heel of the hand to push down, or hooking a pinky under it to pull up to shift. Brilliant!

I quickly ordered a set of SunTour barcons from the old Bike Warehouse for all of $9.95 that included the double cable stop and the bare coiled stainless housing and cable set. In the 40+ years since, any newly acquired 'road' bike gets a set as a part of my initial refurb/refit . Since I never adopted the newer riding posture of riding on the hoods, the 'advantage' of brifters isn't for me...

Years ago I tried to route my barcon cables under the bar wrap, but it seemed to put too much drag on the inner cable. Maybe with the newer teflon lined housing and slick inner cables it would work better...

So put me down for a 'Yes!' to barcons!
Old 10-29-18, 08:15 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Old 10-29-18, 08:36 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
In a different vein...and at the risk of being labeled a nonconformist...I absolutely love my indexed Shimano bar ends, as well as the mustache bars!

i agree, the modern Shimano shifters are great. I use mine indexed mostly, but I’m friction mode lately since it’s due for maintenance. Either way, they are really nice shifters.
Old 10-30-18, 02:24 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
In my opinion, Simplex Retrofriction bar end shifters are the best you can find, but they are nearly impossible to find.
I dislike Suntour Barcons and all other friction shifters that click.
Old 10-31-18, 12:29 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Barcons are OK and easier to use than their down tube cousins. However, they are not perfect when compared to Brifters (my opinion). That said, I do run bar end shifters, indexed, on my Jamaica bike, a 1982 Bianchi Touring. I really do like the indexed version of the bar end shifters, finding them to be easier and more positive to use, than the Suntour, Simplex and Campy Barcons that have been fitted to some of my bikes, then and now. Anyway, my favorite bar end shifters, so far and about to see another few months of use in a few days...
Old 10-31-18, 06:03 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts

1973 Super Mondia, Campy Bar Ends were standard
This is the only one of my bikes that has them. I like them , it just takes a little getting used to after many years of reaching for the down tube's. Joe (joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress)
Old 10-31-18, 10:32 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I’m kind of surprised by the amount of people that are not experienced with bar end shifters or Barcons. I have two bikes with Suntour Barcons and one with Shimano indexed 7 speed bar end shifters. Additionally, I have one set of DT shifters (Simplex Retrofrictions) and 3 sets of Suntour Command shifters in use. I do have a set of Ultegra brifters that I’ll get around to using one of these days- But I do prefer the Command Shifters to the other options for drop bars.

The “why” is pretty simple- you have control of the handlebars with both hands while shifting. That means you can shift more often, with more control over the bike and more control over the shift. Whether anyone feels you should not have to look using shifters- the point is that shifting is a skill that needs to be practiced to develop proficiency. But even at the ultimate level of proficiency that can possibly be attained, downtube shifters require you to let go of the handlebar with one hand.

As far as cable routing... I’ve done it a few different ways. The more traditional manner is running the cable/housing out of the bar wrap at the lower bend of the bars, looping it back around to the cable stop on the same side. I’ve also routed the cable/housing to the OPPOSITE side of the downtube. (As referenced by Sheldon Brown as “Criss Cross Cable” routing). The advantage is you get more gentle arcs to the cable. The disadvantage is that you need to cross the cables back under the downtube if you wish to have the right shifter control the rear derailleur. In practice- it’s not a problem at all. The only problem I’ve found is if you have ‘over the top of the BB’ cable routing- it’s more difficult to cross the cables under the downtube because they WILL rub against the bottom of the down tube.

You can also run the cable up along the bars so that it exits the bar wrap up by the stem- this has the advantage of looking “cleaner” as some people like- it also keeps the cables out of the way of any front bags or accessories that may be in the cable arc. You can, again, run the cables to either cable stop and cross as necessary... Again, going to the opposite cable stop makes the arc more gentle. If you do choose to run cables with more extreme bends, you’re best served in using modern coated cables and lubed housing just to reduce as much friction as possible. Heck, you’re best off using that stuff anyway.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-31-18, 10:41 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234

not my photo:

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
In my opinion, Simplex Retrofriction bar end shifters are the best you can find, but they are nearly impossible to find.
I dislike Suntour Barcons and all other friction shifters that click.
I haven’t used Retrofriction bar ends- but I did get a set of the Shimano L600 bar end shifters on recommendation of people here and the description that the action is very “Retrofriction” like.

I love Simplex Retrofriction shifters- there’s something special and smooth about the pawl-less clutch of Retrofrictions- but the Shimano shifters aren’t clutched- they just rely on spring tension in the lever mechanism to counter the derailleur spring. So while there’s no clicking- and it’s “smooth,” the lever don’t have that “clutched” feel that are the signature of the Retrofrictions.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-31-18, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
2 I have are covered; Campag with Campag Rally RD
and the Sun tour with slant panto RD (Campag Euclid) on my loaded touring bike..

Standard 6 speed freewheels or 7 ..

I have a retro spring shimano, in my parts bin, found they're good on the front,
balancing the return spring force of the FD.. so it moves effortlessly.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-01-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 06:59 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 92 Posts
Lots of nice pics of bar-ends, but none yet with ultra-cool white tip covers!

Old 10-31-18, 07:21 PM
crandress 

Originally Posted by 67tony
Lots of nice pics of bar-ends, but none yet with ultra-cool white tip covers!

Nice! Love the leather bottle holders in the back too! Where did you get those??

Crapmaster Emeritus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.