Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

How is tape easier or less messy? Or isn't it?

Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 09-06-21, 07:35 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

What's the benefit of tape? When I glue my tires regularly they stay on just fine. It is a bit messy and fussy but it works.

My problem happens when I try to get 2 seasons from glue instead of regluing each year. When I practice all seems fine then I do a race and roll a tire...

Anyway, the instructions for tape say to put down a layer of glue. Then the tape then another layer of glue. So tape doesn't mean any less glue... And since there's glue the fuss will be the same, too.

I do recall that tape is supposed to maybe last 2 years? Is that the upside?
Old 09-23-21, 06:35 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Tape is stronger and will resist the effects of water and time more effectively. Something most people don't get about why pro teams like using tape and/or elaborate gluing methods: the wheels and tires used by pros are subject to much more abuse than a typical amateur. Racing in tons of lots of mud and rain, powerwashing bikes multiple times per race, often with multiple riders on one team using the same wheels across the weekend, will dissolve glue fairly quickly. So tape might make sense for a set of mud tubulars, or for a particularly heavy rider, but it's overkill for most amateur racers. I'd set the over/under on the number of races I'm likely to start this season at 10. Hoping for the over, but anyway - even then, tape is overkill. Not worth the hassle of cleanup when I peel the tires to reglue a year from now.