Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Training modifications for disc concerns

Old 09-26-21, 11:48 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Training modifications for disc concerns

My training for the Trans Am Bike Race consisted of a couple hours of intervals 4-5 days a week, with long distance 1-2x/week. Now with an L5-S1 disc concern, the interval training, at least how I approached it 3 years ago, seems to aggravate the back to no end. So I need a different plan. I’ve learned that just doing the long distance doesn’t result in improvement I’d like. Thinking weights maybe? Anybody have the same struggles?
Old 09-26-21, 12:12 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Sounds like you are doing way too much interval training, back problem or not.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 09-26-21, 02:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
How much HIIT can you do with your back the way it is? I think twice a week is enough. Maybe only once a week.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-26-21, 03:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
You need a good physical therapist to help you develop a good core strength training plan. Hopefully a PT that can look at an X ray and figure out what will help and what won't. Ask the PT if you can safely do weight training for leg strength and the safest way to do it.

I got a lot of help from a good PT a year and a half ago, she specialized in spine issues.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-27-21, 02:39 AM
gif4445

Eliminating, reducing or modifying the interval regime is in order for sure. I’ve worked closely with my PT in the past with great results, but this back issue has flipped the script. A stretching and strengthening regime that accompanied the cycling/spinning 3 yo, now has components that piss off the back, so all of that has to be questioned. Hard intervals and some core exercises piss off the back. I still do 100-150 miles back to back even with compromised fitness, but I need to get that fitness back. I will for sure meet with my a PT and craft a plan, but wanted to see what worked/didn’t work for others.
Old 09-27-21, 08:17 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Sounds like you've got some idiosyncratic issues, so there's only so far advice from us in the peanut gallery can be trusted. Agree that 4-5 interval workouts is too many—or they're too low intensity to be helpful.

Have you had a bike fitting? It sounds like your problem is bigger than a fitting will solve, but it might help.
Old 09-29-21, 04:09 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by adamrice
Sounds like you've got some idiosyncratic issues, so there's only so far advice from us in the peanut gallery can be trusted. Agree that 4-5 interval workouts is too many—or they're too low intensity to be helpful.

Have you had a bike fitting? It sounds like your problem is bigger than a fitting will solve, but it might help.
I have had multiple fittings in the last couple years. The latest has lead to the installation of 145mm cranks to reduce the hip rock. I think it has helped, but isn’t the magic bullet.

While I’m using what I can from the medical community, I don’t discount what I can learn from others who have had a similar journey. I’m learning on the fly here. Recently I went on a 5 day 600 mile tour. I wanted to see how my body would react to long distance, but slower, low impact cycling. My back reaction was interesting. The first 80 miles I had slight sciatic pain down the left leg(normal for me the last several months)then for some reason, it switched to the right leg. And then it was gone for the duration of the ride. By day 4 I had a tightness/pain in the lower back when I stood. Fairly Ok on the bike or laying down. Solved this by stopping at a convenience store, grabbing a bag of ice and laying on it for 10 minutes. Then upon leaving put 3 s baggies of ice in my back jersey pockets. So in the end the ride helped my back immensely. On a side note, allergies can kick my butt on rides, and I battled congestion and such for most days. The day I got home, I lost my sense of taste and smell. Covid. I’m vaxed. Went on the Drs. Meds, which included HCQ. Doc said during a long convo, that HCQ also has some arthritis benefits. After a slightly tough first day, I’ve felt the best I’ve felt in a long time. I quarantined, but as a farmer I could still work. Very productive days. Now I’m wondering now what I do with this latest experience? More long slow rides? HCQ regiment? More info to sort through.
Old 09-29-21, 05:15 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I did that race. I do not have lumbar spine issues but do have C2-C7 all hosed up, so, I understand how pain impacts training. As an aside, I crashed on my upright 3 weeks ago breaking my greater trochanter (hip), 4 ribs, shoulder, humerus midway, and shattered my elbow. Interestingly, none of those hurt as much as neurological pain, so, I probably get the effect of your sciatic pain.

I did TABR with no special training. I was just a randonneur. My training was always polarized. Mostly long steady distances with no more than one interval session in 5 rides or once per week if I was tired. The interval session was 6 x 5 minutes VO2 Max up and down the same hill at 350-380 watts, depending on fitness.

My objective on TABR was modest. I entered 2-3 weeks before the start. I planned to do 300km per day and finish in 25 days with limited night riding and never riding in dangerous conditions (nights on bad roads or in blinding rain). I had a lot of problems on the ride but did finish in 29 days.

I was coached for a period of time by a top endurance racer and coach. He would have killed me if I did 4-5 interval sessions per week, each a couple hours. In fact, he would get pissed seeing my power too high on climbs on easy days and told me to either use the trainer or drive to flatter roads. The longest "interval" sessions that I have ever done is 6 x 20 min but at only 88- 90% of FTP.

Once your FTP is at your "best", I think long rides in zone 2 have more value than most appreciate. I really only need one hard interval session per week. The ability to burn fat is very important on these events. You will run out of food for reasons beyond your control. Doing 4-5 HIIT sessions fueled by glycogen doesn't help. It is also my experience that HIIT creates a lot of inflammation, which your back probably does not appreciate.

If you have not had an MRI, get one. Most lumbar nerve impingements can be remedied fairly easily.
Old 09-30-21, 04:47 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did that race. I do not have lumbar spine issues but do have C2-C7 all hosed up, so, I understand how pain impacts training. As an aside, I crashed on my upright 3 weeks ago breaking my greater trochanter (hip), 4 ribs, shoulder, humerus midway, and shattered my elbow. Interestingly, none of those hurt as much as neurological pain, so, I probably get the effect of your sciatic pain.

I did TABR with no special training. I was just a randonneur. My training was always polarized. Mostly long steady distances with no more than one interval session in 5 rides or once per week if I was tired. The interval session was 6 x 5 minutes VO2 Max up and down the same hill at 350-380 watts, depending on fitness.

My objective on TABR was modest. I entered 2-3 weeks before the start. I planned to do 300km per day and finish in 25 days with limited night riding and never riding in dangerous conditions (nights on bad roads or in blinding rain). I had a lot of problems on the ride but did finish in 29 days.

I was coached for a period of time by a top endurance racer and coach. He would have killed me if I did 4-5 interval sessions per week, each a couple hours. In fact, he would get pissed seeing my power too high on climbs on easy days and told me to either use the trainer or drive to flatter roads. The longest "interval" sessions that I have ever done is 6 x 20 min but at only 88- 90% of FTP.

Once your FTP is at your "best", I think long rides in zone 2 have more value than most appreciate. I really only need one hard interval session per week. The ability to burn fat is very important on these events. You will run out of food for reasons beyond your control. Doing 4-5 HIIT sessions fueled by glycogen doesn't help. It is also my experience that HIIT creates a lot of inflammation, which your back probably does not appreciate.

If you have not had an MRI, get one. Most lumbar nerve impingements can be remedied fairly easily.
Thanks so much for your input and so sorry about your crash. Hoping you heal up quickly. Like you and others have suggested, the interval sessions are not smart, especially now. I'm working on putting together a smarter plan. One that will keep me on the bike. My spine Dr. told me I can get an MRI if I want, so I'm looking at doing that after the crop is harvested. What year did you do the TABR?
Old 09-30-21, 05:34 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by gif4445
Thanks so much for your input and so sorry about your crash. Hoping you heal up quickly. Like you and others have suggested, the interval sessions are not smart, especially now. I'm working on putting together a smarter plan. One that will keep me on the bike. My spine Dr. told me I can get an MRI if I want, so I'm looking at doing that after the crop is harvested. What year did you do the TABR?
I know a lot of people who have had the symptoms that you have and some have had relatively minor surgeries to rectify. It has been about 4-5 years since I did it. Typically, if an MRI shows nerve impingement from say spurs or a disc, they will start you with PT for some weeks and if that does not help, then, they might put surgery on the table. As a farmer, I suspect you lift heavy stuff and that tweaks the lower back. Myself, I now ride a recumbent because the reclined position takes pressure off the nerves. If I could have surgery to resolve my cervical spine issues, I would do it in a heartbeat. Anyway, it does not hurt to get the MRI and then get several opinions, assuming you have insurance. GL
Old 09-30-21, 08:17 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
I have had multiple fittings in the last couple years. The latest has lead to the installation of 145mm cranks to reduce the hip rock. I think it has helped, but isn’t the magic bullet.
I'm no expert (don't even play one on the internet), but isn't hip rocking an indication your saddle is too high?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-03-21, 05:46 AM
GhostRider62

this a bit of a hail mary but on long rides, i have found and confirmed reading steve hogg's site that agressive pulling back on the pedal stroke will tire the hip flexors aka psoas muscles, the pain masquerades as lower back pain.

Old 10-18-21, 06:00 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm no expert (don't even play one on the internet), but isn't hip rocking an indication your saddle is too high?
I don't think you are entirely wrong here, but that was looked at, along with the diameter of the pedal stroke. Going to 145's is designed to help get me back into the game by reducing that diameter. Hopefully I can make this work and eventually get back to the 165's or at least something longer than what I have. The 145's are great on the flats, but if I have to take on numerous hills, my achilles acts up. Always something.