Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Bike Advice

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Bike Advice

Old 02-04-22, 09:05 AM
Doagner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tandem Bike Advice

My wife, child, and I are considering a tandem to ride together. I would like to know what the pros and cons are for a good tandem. Also, I need advice on buying a tandem.
Thanks
Old 02-04-22, 11:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Are you thinking of a triplet then? That definitely focuses your options. I don't know anything about triplets, but I would think that anyone that does and would like to help you will need to know: age of the child, yours and DW's dimensions, and of course what kind of riding will be expected. I don't believe triplets are terribly common. Almost certain they are all semi to fully custom and there is probably not a lot of variation in an overall high quality product paradigm between competitor manufacturers.
Old 02-04-22, 09:50 PM
JoeShellharbour

Bikes: Giant Fast road Solo, Giant MTB Solo, Cannondale Road Tandem with E front wheel

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
When my wife and I decided we would like a tandem we looked around to find a tandem riding group.
We found a group that rode sighted Captains with vision impared and other dissabled stokers.
I have been riding with them now for 4 years and have had the oportunity to ride a variety of tandems and have a variety of stokers.
When I felt confident as a captain my wife rode with other captains then me and we purchased our Cannondale tandem as the best available (out of a few on offer) and we have had many years of enjoyable riding.
As my wifes mobility has worsend I have fitted a motorised front wheel to make up for her loss of power and now we can go any ries over any hill around our area.
So if possible try befor you buy and get some experience
Regards
Joe
Old 02-05-22, 07:35 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
We started tandem riding when our kids were very young and went through kids in a trailer, kid on back with stoker cranks kid behind on trail-a-bike. A lot of factors so there is no easy answer to your question.
Advice on buying a tandem - find something inexpensive ti give it a try and see what works, and what doesn't. Then you'll be better able to figure out what you really need.
Old 02-05-22, 09:37 PM
NRissy
Bike-train

Bikes: Santana Encore Tandem, Trek 3900, Marin MTB, Marin Road bike.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
First question, have you ever ridden a tandem with your wife? My wife and I did a couple of years ago. our local park & rec center had a tandem cruiser you could rent for the day. It is better to rent a tandem for $100 and realize you and your wife should never ride together than spend $1000 buying and then finding it out. We discovered that buying a tandem for her to ride was a waste of money. Although, for me and my sons; that's another story!

I have owned my tandem for about a year. I joined a tandem group on Facebook and put out my request with this nice picture of my boys and set up at the time.

2020 set up

I soon had a couple of people trying to sell me their old tandems; I found a guy who really wanted my family to have his tandem; so I bought it. I got a child stoker kit added to it and last summer my boys and I really enjoyed our bike!

2021 bike set up-first ride!

When the weather gets nice, the 3.5 year old goes from the trailer to the trail-a-bike (wee-ride co-pilot) and that will be my set up for the 2022 summer.

Summer 2023 my youngest will be old enough to go some miles in the trailer. He's a little too young to be in it much this summer.
So next summer both pictures get combined! Tandem, trail-a-bike, trailer set up will be in full swing! 7 year old on tandem, 4 year old on trail-a bike, and two year old in trailer!

It will be a blast!
Old 04-28-22, 09:19 PM
Doagner

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestion guys!!
Old 06-29-22, 10:33 AM
mkane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
size matters
Old 07-06-22, 01:35 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Buy used. We have bought 3 tandems so far: a Santana Sovereign, an Ibis, and a Cannondale. Found them all on CL and paid $600-$700 for each. Of course your location matters, and if you are looking for a triple, that's pretty limiting. Just be sure about the size, as mentioned upthread.
Old 07-06-22, 02:37 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by mkane
size matters
Really? I don't know. We'd be SOL if we believed that. Our daily driver comes (came) in one size only. Co-Motions super popular 'Periscope' only comes in one size that I am aware of. Triplets? Sizes? I don't think so. Our Burley Samba and Raleigh Coupe did come in sizes ... correction, were manufactured in three sizes, but we bought the SIZE that was available. ANY size can be made to fit ANY reasonable dimension of rider with suitable adjustments or substitutions to the seat posts, stems, or other interfaces to the frame geometry. The result will be rideable. With singles I don't quibble when this advice is offered, but even with my singles, when I see a hot deal I buy it! I know I can make it fit me after the sale. Tandems are so hard to find used that holding out for a particular size combination just isn't worth the missed opportunities. FWIW.
Old 07-10-22, 05:48 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Co-Motions super popular 'Periscope' only comes in one size that I am aware of.
Co-Motion lists 3 frame sizes for the Periscope on their web page. Even if they didn’t, it’s built in such a way that it’s more like an adjustable crescent wrench than a fixed size.

Fit is critical for some people, less so for others. With few exceptions there isn’t a frame that makes my 5’2” friend fit the same bike that my 6’4” friend rides for much more than a ride around the block. Fortunately I’m in your camp, close is usually close enough for me, even on a long ride, but I know the same isn’t always true for others.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 07-12-22, 08:22 AM
mkane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fir matters unless you're just tooling around. Want to do some time in the saddle, size matters as does fit.
Old 07-15-22, 02:49 PM
Leisesturm

Fit matters. Size ≠ Fit.