Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A very lucky find - (almost) unmolested quirky 33 year old Cinelli

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A very lucky find - (almost) unmolested quirky 33 year old Cinelli

Old 05-19-22, 11:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...I dimly recall reading something about these in some dingy corner of the internet, about the contract builder, but I can't find it. Which is no big deal, because contract built frames that are not credited are sort of par for the course from this period in Italy.

If you look here, you'll see that for about the first ten years he owned the company, Colombo was trying to steer it in the direction of more American market share. I think this frame is from about the end of that, when he finally decided the real future of the company lay in going for a more high end, exclusive nature, and all the art philosophy started showing up in their advertising. Anyway, there's nothing at all second rate about Cromor tubing, IMO. I have several frames made from it, and I can't really say it makes a difference in the way they feel or handle on the road. They just cost a little less to make and buy at the time. Yours has a nice mix of components, but if it doesn't really fit you, I wouldn't think twice about stripping them off and selling on the frame.

Frames that almost, but don't quite fit you are vexatious things to have around.

^^^sometime around 1979 or 1980. Note the variety in the product line.
Old 05-19-22, 12:46 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Beautiful Bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're a lucky man!!
Old 05-19-22, 01:15 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I dimly recall reading something about these in some dingy corner of the internet, about the contract builder, but I can't find it. Which is no big deal, because contract built frames that are not credited are sort of par for the course from this period in Italy.

If you look here, you'll see that for about the first ten years he owned the company, Colombo was trying to steer it in the direction of more American market share. I think this frame is from about the end of that, when he finally decided the real future of the company lay in going for a more high end, exclusive nature, and all the art philosophy started showing up in their advertising.
^^^sometime around 1979 or 1980. Note the variety in the product line.
Fantastic link and TIL, thanks. I didn't even know they made BMX frames. Never seen one of those in the wild...
Old 05-19-22, 02:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Fantastic link and TIL, thanks. I didn't even know they made BMX frames. Never seen one of those in the wild...
...IKR ? I have yet to see my first Cinelli mountain bike in person, yet I'm told they were made in quantity for a number of years.
Old 05-20-22, 12:32 AM
microcord

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Oh yeah, you scored. Don't know much about the bike itself, but it displays the typical Cinelli craftsmanship of that era, especially in the lugwork and the stay and fork tips. That's a beautiful bike and I'm sure will ride like a dream.
I've got one myself and I do like the ride, what's left of the periwinkle blue colour, and the ample clearance for 28 mm tyres.

I'm not competent to judge the craftsmanship; but I'm mightily unimpressed by
  • the varying glossiness of what remains of the periwinkle blue
  • the proneness to flake off of said remains
  • the zig-zags and black splodges (both of which look to me like the lamest attempts to be "artistic" or "exciting" or both) that disfigure the periwinkle blue
  • the dull slogan along the top tube (my own was worn off and painted over by a previous owner, I'm glad to say)
  • the rust-inviting top-tube holes for the brake cable (a crap solution to a non-existent problem)

I'm also not qualified to compare one tubeset and another, but I think I've read that Cromor was used for frames for heavier riders. If so, that might somehow square with the keep-fit slogan along the top tube.

To me, it's a bike that cries out for good Suntour parts. As these can be expensive or elusive where I happen to be, I settled for new Japanese parts. I like the result. Perhaps one day I'll have the frame powdercoated in periwinkle blue; and I might even get a proper headbadge and think of some wittier Latin to go along the top tube.
Likes For microcord:
Old 05-20-22, 06:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Originally Posted by microcord
I've got one myself and I do like the ride, what's left of the periwinkle blue colour, and the ample clearance for 28 mm tyres.

I'm not competent to judge the craftsmanship; but I'm mightily unimpressed by
  • the varying glossiness of what remains of the periwinkle blue
  • the proneness to flake off of said remains
  • the zig-zags and black splodges (both of which look to me like the lamest attempts to be "artistic" or "exciting" or both) that disfigure the periwinkle blue
  • the dull slogan along the top tube (my own was worn off and painted over by a previous owner, I'm glad to say)
  • the rust-inviting top-tube holes for the brake cable (a crap solution to a non-existent problem)

I'm also not qualified to compare one tubeset and another, but I think I've read that Cromor was used for frames for heavier riders. If so, that might somehow square with the keep-fit slogan along the top tube.

To me, it's a bike that cries out for good Suntour parts. As these can be expensive or elusive where I happen to be, I settled for new Japanese parts. I like the result. Perhaps one day I'll have the frame powdercoated in periwinkle blue; and I might even get a proper headbadge and think of some wittier Latin to go along the top tube.
Probably best to sell the frame to someone who would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-22, 07:15 AM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Probably best to sell the frame to someone who would appreciate it.
Oh I do appreciate it, despite its shortcomings. It and I have been on some memorable adventures. (Shibu pass, for one.)
Likes For microcord:
Old 05-20-22, 07:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,905 Times in 1,765 Posts
Oh I do appreciate it
Hard to tell, when all you do is list its shortcomings and threaten to dress it in Suntour.
Old 05-20-22, 07:27 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 327 Posts
As much as I love this frame, I have to agree with this. Every time I replaced cables over the years, the top tube cable has always emerged rust-covered, and I’ve never stored it outdoors or ridden in a downpour. I’m very much not a fan of internal cable routing for steel frames.

CriticalThought — I would definitely get that cable out and inspect the area.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 06-05-22, 06:51 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Good call panzerwagon !

Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-05-22 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-05-22, 06:59 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

I like seeing the Cinelli logos in the lugs, but I don't recognize the letters on the brake bridge. Anyone know? Looks like something... DEP?

Last edited by CriticalThought; 06-05-22 at 07:03 PM.
Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 06-05-22, 08:26 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
sorry to sidetrack...

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
They do apparently exist, probably all NOS like this one.
​​​​​​
Old 12-04-23, 09:11 PM
CriticalThought

Oh Glory Days!

So it's been a while and other projects have had my focus... but I can't believe this epic picture (puh-leeez no Borat comments!) had THIS glorious frame in it all along.

You can't really fault me for not focusing on the frame/bike in the pic... the rest of the composition is distracting to say the least... in it's asweomeness.

Anyway, I just had to share. I recently bought Lodovico Pignatti Morano's famous "Cinelli Book" and while it has yet to arrive, I noticed this photo when trying to look at previews in my eagerness whist waiting for it to arrive.

This is the first (only?) photo from (presumably) Cinelli that features the epic, one year only, sold as a frameset only, peak of late 80s Miami Vice Nagel style design frame! And it's in the Cinelli Book!!!!!

I just had to share....

Now if I could just find that beautiful lycra onesie to wear when I ride it... all would be right in world.
Old 12-04-23, 09:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Worth it alone for the Delta brakes, assuming you didn’t pay too much, and it fits.
Tim
correcting those Deltas… I am not sure what to suggest, generic pads and holders have been substituted, the dimension from the rim surface to arm is not enough, why the calipers are not aligned with the upper brake body, this will leave you with diminished power when you want it, less mechanical advantage. Maybe parts from other calipers that use the “orbital” pad adjuster washers that take up some distance.

when I first saw these I was thinking Cinelli was channeling Dario Pergoretti.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-05-23, 09:26 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
That looks suspiciously like a Modonico "M" in the serial number.
Old 03-06-24, 10:00 AM
CriticalThought

Fidel Castro Cinelli

Well... surprise surprise.

In an early 1990s Cinelli catalog there are a couple of pages labeled "I fans di Cinelli" and there's my frame, nicely built out... in the hands of Fidel Castro!

I had no idea Fidel was a "fan of Cinelli". Too funny.

I just had to share... I'll see if I can post of a few of the other pics in the Celebrities On Bikes thread.

Old 03-06-24, 10:18 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
I heard that most 90's Cinelli's were built in Giovanni Losa's shop. He was a top-notch builder, but his name seldom appeared on his frames.
Cromor is the same steel as SL, but seamed. Supposedly the seamed tubes are just as good as the seamless, just a little cheaper to make. I had an Olmo with Cromor, it was labeled Matrix, but they got sued by Trek and had to change the name. I thought it rode great.
Old 03-06-24, 12:34 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 55 Posts
I agree with all: This is a GREAT score. Good scouting!

Forgive my intrusion... What am I seeing here? Are these an adjunct to the existing brakes, kind of like the extra levers on vintage Weimann's?

BOTH sets of brake levers work? I've never seen such.

Thanks.

Coop
Old 03-06-24, 12:38 PM
CriticalThought

Originally Posted by SharpByCoop
I agree with all: This is a GREAT score. Good scouting!

Forgive my intrusion... What am I seeing here? Are these an adjunct to the existing brakes, kind of like the extra levers on vintage Weimann's?

BOTH sets of brake levers work? I've never seen such.

Thanks.

Coop
Yep SharpByCoop . That's exactly what they are. They allow the cable to pass through and effectively pull on the housing to apply the brakes without interfering with (anything but the aesthetics of!) the Campy levers.
Old 03-06-24, 01:42 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
this is one of those subordinate models of that era. Still gets the Cinelli branding, kind of a B line frame.
yes, I think these were made by Mondonico. The seat stay attachment is the tell.

still a fairly nice bike but outside of classic period.

I have a set of "real" Delta pads available

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-06-24, 01:53 PM
SharpByCoop 
My Workshop = Happy Place

Bikes: Schwinns, and many others.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
Yep SharpByCoop . That's exactly what they are. They allow the cable to pass through and effectively pull on the housing to apply the brakes without interfering with (anything but the aesthetics of!) the Campy levers.
Thanks for the clarity.

Well, they are brilliant engineering, and they solve a concern for many (including me) however.....

These are FUGLY. Really out of synch with the Euro look.
Likes For SharpByCoop:
Old 03-06-24, 02:30 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 655 Posts
those inline levers prolly made the stopping power available from the Delta brakes ... even worse !

and I think you have Syncho 2 shift levers as well.

interesting mix

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 04-08-24, 09:19 PM
Bikecycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found the same bike but in a different colorway. It’s a salmon/pink instead of the blue. I have been scouring the internet for a while but haven’t actually found that color posted anywhere.

Apparently it was a display in the early 90s and built up in the early 2000s with mavic derailleurs and some shimano parts.

It’s a bit weird but I absolutely love it.
Likes For Bikecycler: