Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

On Go The Studs, Winter Commuting and Riding Season Have Begun

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 08:47 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tonight marks for me that winter riding has officially begun. I mounted the studs onto my commuter this evening. It has been snowing off an on all week, however I have been pushing it with the slicks, as most days the snow will melt away during the day. I think it is here to stay now until April 2008.

I hope everyone enjoys a good season of Cold Weather Riding! Be safe and warm

The Studs down from the rafters and mounted.

This was from a ride last night with regular knobbies.
Old 11-18-07, 09:10 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep. It's getting closer. Even though highs were in the 70's today, we have our first forecast for snow this week, and the temps are finally going to get cold. My studded tires hang mounted up all year in the garage. I just need to pull them down and slap them on the bike.
Old 11-19-07, 06:53 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ It has been threatening to snow here lots. We have been getting it, but then it melts somewhat during the day, then turns to bumpy ice rink like conditions in the evening and morning.

This was from my ride home tonight. Sorry for the picture quality, however I wanted to be sure I was in control while taking shots. It sort of captures what's to come...

Heading up Broadway Bridge

On the bridge, it's not as icy or rutted as it was coming down it this morning

Still on the bridge with full flash

Last edited by ViperZ; 11-19-07 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 06:50 AM
KrisA

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Studs went on for a 2 hour training ride on black ice on Sunday, off on Monday as the roads are now dry. I just can't stand riding my studs on dry pavement. Winter is here though, I've given up on any more mountain bike rides for the year. Oh well, next year I've got a 2008 Rocky Mountain Element70 to look forward to...
Old 11-20-07, 08:09 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMG!!! YOU GUYS ARE SOOOOO LUCKY!!!! It might snow here this afternoon, but not stick. I don't have my Nokians any more, hope to need some soon.
Old 11-20-07, 12:31 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisA
Studs went on for a 2 hour training ride on black ice on Sunday, off on Monday as the roads are now dry. I just can't stand riding my studs on dry pavement. Winter is here though, I've given up on any more mountain bike rides for the year. Oh well, next year I've got a 2008 Rocky Mountain Element70 to look forward to...
Awesome on the new Element! I love that bike already

It was a icy commute this morning
Old 11-20-07, 12:36 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naisme
OMG!!! YOU GUYS ARE SOOOOO LUCKY!!!! It might snow here this afternoon, but not stick. I don't have my Nokians any more, hope to need some soon.
That's a great attitude... Hats off to you!

I remember heading out for a back country hiking/camping trip to the Rockies in October, some co-workers ask, "Aren't you worried about it being cold and snowy?" The response from one of my fellow hikers was "We can only hope"

Last edited by ViperZ; 11-20-07 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-21-07, 03:23 PM
filtersweep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice photos--- what camera are you using?

I have an extra wheel set with some Nokian Extremes--- just waiting for snow that will never come. We have had very thick frost covering everything, so I am off the road bike and commuting on the mountain bike. I love the cold weather---- much fewer fellow commuters clogging up the locker room at work.
Old 11-21-07, 05:42 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First ride in the snow this season - it went fine, although it will take time to get used to the weight of studded tires. My legs are going to be HUGE by the end of winter...
Old 11-21-07, 06:54 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe
First ride in the snow this season - it went fine, although it will take time to get used to the weight of studded tires. My legs are going to be HUGE by the end of winter...
Ditto, my snow bike feels like a tank. Good to know you are building more than just character though
Old 11-21-07, 07:49 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First studded tire of the season today. It was a huge difference going from 23mm Fortezza Tri Comps at 120 psi to 2.0" Nokian Extremes at 40 psi. I was sickly slow today.
Old 11-21-07, 08:07 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ
That's a great attitude... Hats off to you!

I remember heading out for a back country hiking/camping trip to the Rockies in October, some co-workers ask, "Aren't you worried about it being cold and snowy?" The response from one of my fellow hikers was "We can only hope"

I miss the snow and ice too, it's going to be 60F + on Thanksgiving day.

Good thing about riding Baileys trike so much. My snow bike does not feel slow !!!
Old 11-21-07, 09:14 PM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tequila Joe
First studded tire of the season today. It was a huge difference going from 23mm Fortezza Tri Comps at 120 psi to 2.0" Nokian Extremes at 40 psi. I was sickly slow today.
Fo shizzo my hizzo! I didn't bother to change the gearing on the SS - I'm now running a 77" gear compared to 74" with 23C tires. The first really big dump we have is going to involve a walk of shame - I can feel it already...
Old 11-23-07, 07:06 AM
jimmibudd
flaccid member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no real snow here yet.... in winterpeg.... cold, but dry streets...
i overhauled my winter beater (a 91 cannondale mtb) it has been converted to a SS, had bearings replaced, new cables, pads... added the studs and cleaned it up... it sits ther looking at my like a guilty puppy, wanting to be ridden....
i can't wait for the hardpacked snow... love the sound of the studs on hardpack.... hate it on concrete!

jB
Old 11-26-07, 10:44 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
Nice photos--- what camera are you using?

I have an extra wheel set with some Nokian Extremes--- just waiting for snow that will never come. We have had very thick frost covering everything, so I am off the road bike and commuting on the mountain bike. I love the cold weather---- much fewer fellow commuters clogging up the locker room at work.

Thanks, I use a Nikon 5700 and a Canon SD400. Dark Winter cycling does have a special appeal to be sure
Old 11-26-07, 10:50 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes

I miss the snow and ice too, it's going to be 60F + on Thanksgiving day.

Good thing about riding Baileys trike so much. My snow bike does not feel slow !!!
It's a good conditioner

I sure was slogging on the ride into work today. Temperature was -20C, which isn't bad, however I think it was the combination of new snow fall slowing my roll, and the North headwind pushing me back. My regular coast was a slug fest aerobic work out

This is a shot of our River on the way home from work. The Traffic Bridge is Lit Green in Celebration of the Riders wining the Grey Cup

Temp was -23C on the way home. Ice flows are forming in the South Saskatchewan River.

Last edited by ViperZ; 11-27-07 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-27-07, 02:26 AM
maximushq2

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Gt Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ViperZ. I just placed an order for some studded Nokian Tires so I can have some fun this winter too. I used to just give up on biking once the snow and ice got bad, but this year I don't want to stop riding. I also bought some warmer clothing that should get me through the winter including boots, and new pedals etc. I'm gonna use my older GT mountain bike this winter and save my newer bikes from the road salt. The GT, while old, is in perfect running condition so it should hold up ok. Still trying to figure out what kind of fenders I should get. Will the mountain bike fenders that clip in or use quick release hold up in winter?
Old 11-27-07, 06:19 AM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how well they would hold up. I suppose it would depend on your riding conditions and how often you ride. My conditions are more to the extreme, and seeing as I ride everyday, I use bolt on Freddy Fenders.

Old 11-27-07, 08:53 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ
This is a shot of our River on the way home from work. The Traffic Bridge is Lit Green in Celebration of the Riders wining the Grey Cup

Temp was -23C on the way home. Ice flows are forming in the South Saskatchewan River.
Great photo! and people wonder, why ride in the winter time! ?!?
Old 11-27-07, 12:32 PM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We got winter, then lost it, then got it again, then lost everything but some ice and hard snow. Weird year. But I've been getting a lot of riding in and did some upgrades on Fram

Old 11-27-07, 07:19 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Great photo! and people wonder, why ride in the winter time! ?!?
For the crazy solitude And Picture opportunities
Old 11-27-07, 07:21 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
We got winter, then lost it, then got it again, then lost everything but some ice and hard snow. Weird year. But I've been getting a lot of riding in and did some upgrades on Fram
Some years are like that... For the last few years we have not been getting the crazy -40C temps for weeks on end like we always use to get, in turn we just get lots of snow, and a week or so of -36C.

Good Winter Rig!
Old 11-27-07, 07:29 PM
ViperZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has been snowing all day today, as such I expected a slog ride home, but it wasn't too bad. A bit of front time snow planing here and there, but nothing too crazy. It was a nice ride home, and I took a few pictures for comparison form yesterday. These are more snap shots for posterity, sorry for the blurriness of some of them.

Even though the bike is in a covered compound, it still had a light dusting of snow. That Specialized has been there since fall. Somebody has left it unlocked and it was actually tipped over in the middle of the rack. I moved it there out of the way and for safer keeping.

Lights Fired Up, ready to roll

Ride down 4th Avenue, traffic is less at 6:30

Ice Flows have built up since yesterday. The snow in the sky is a nice effect

Self Portrait

The river is already starting to freeze over on the left side

The Rig

Ride Temperature home was -20C
Old 11-27-07, 07:44 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My studs went on this morning. *sniff*
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 11-27-07, 08:51 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Took out my MTB with studded tires for a tune-up commute before the snow and ice comes. Transitioned from road bike with 23c tires. Added 10 or 15 minutes to my 30 minute ride and I was working hard. Yuck.

Seriously thinking about looking for an old hybrid/cross bike and adding drop bars. Probably not this year though. I'm sure my time will improve a tad after I get used to the different riding position, - at least when the roads are good. I might also try one of those "Winter" tires that Conti came out with to see if they roll a bit better without giving up too much on the ice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.