Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giro IONOS Helmet? Anyone have one?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 10:56 AM
mrbubl
Fun in the tub, no ring!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have (and wear) an ATMOS and wonder if and why the new IONOS is worth 35% in price than the ATMOS. What does it do that the ATMOS doesn't.
Old 09-01-07, 11:01 AM
Stray Cat
wussy

Bikes: Scott CR1, Trek 2200, Gary Fisher Tassajara, PedalForce ZX3 (coming)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vents better, 10% lighter, and newer. I don't really see it worth the money over the atmos. (I have one as well.)

Only reason I got an Atmos: it was $125. Wouldn't pay another $100 on top for a little better helmet.
Old 09-01-07, 11:19 AM
Idioteque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i dont know but im sure as hell its a rip off, hell even atmos looks like it is made way too sloppy for a 150 asking price. get a pneumo for 75 and not notice any difference :\
Old 09-01-07, 05:27 PM
LIUser22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im sticking with my atmos, plus it matches my bike
Old 09-01-07, 06:18 PM
AP1EKWAN
NOT the unsub

Bikes: 2nd job killed them, but they're coming back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably not "worth" it, but I picked one up pretty cheap at my LBS. It's alright, but would not buy it at or near full retail. My atmos is still working good for me, but was recommended to replace it after 5 or so years.
I just felt like a kid in a candy store when they were unpacking it out of the box.
Old 09-01-07, 06:41 PM
ExMachina
Senior, Senior Member

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Awe hell...yeah, I'd buy an Ionos.

I don't have a good reason other than cycling is "my hobby"...but frankly, I don't like any of the color schemes that Giro has come out with for the Ionos.
Old 09-01-07, 07:06 PM
AP1EKWAN
NOT the unsub

Bikes: 2nd job killed them, but they're coming back

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something lighter would be the new S-works D2 lid, hands down. It retails a little less also.
Old 07-16-08, 09:57 PM
straightPUKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my Ionos on Monday at my LBS for %20 off. It's very light and gives great ventilation. It feels great riding with it during the summertime.
Old 07-16-08, 11:29 PM
coppercook62

Bikes: Crumpton SL Crumpton Type 5 Berk on order

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke my atmos so I bought a Ionos on ebay, didn't feel like paying full price. When I put it on it fit my head like a glove. It felt way more confortable than my atmos. Maybe I have a wierd shaped head or something. I don't know if its worth the extra money at full retail, but if it broke I would replace it.
Old 07-17-08, 12:27 AM
balsingh
Student

Bikes: Trek 2300, Trek 6500, Old Puegot Course, Specialized Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coppercook62
I broke my atmos so I bought a Ionos on ebay, didn't feel like paying full price. When I put it on it fit my head like a glove. It felt way more confortable than my atmos. Maybe I have a wierd shaped head or something. I don't know if its worth the extra money at full retail, but if it broke I would replace it.
I did exactly the same thing. Plus the crystal blue/white matches my team kit. It's really great. Light and extremely well-ventilating. Although expensive for me, my head deserved a treat. My previous Atmos saved me, as my crash resulted in luckily w/ only concussion and broken bones. I like helmets.

Reread OP: The Atmos and Ionos do exactly the same thing, save your head. Style, weight, and ventilating are the only changes. I like my Ionos but find it hard distinguish between the too.
Old 07-17-08, 02:31 AM
wannaride
Toughen the pluck up!

Bikes: 1990 KHS Sled; 2004 Specialized Sirrus Pro; 2005 Cannondale Saeco Replica

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Atmos but wanted a new helmet in a mostly white color to beat the sun and heat and found a good deal on an Ionos ($179). I like them both and when they are on my head find it hard to tell them apart. I think that the Atmos actually fits me a bit better but the Ionos is lighter. There is definitely a different profile for both and if I were going to crash I'd rather be wearing the Ionos.
Old 07-17-08, 05:18 AM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They fit totally different as well. The Ionos feels like it's built on the same head mold as the Bell Sweep. It's a very round feeling and squeezed the crap out of my forehead. I rode the Ionos one time and took it back. I swapped it for an Atmos and have never looked back.
The Atmos fits like the Pneumo.
Old 07-17-08, 05:47 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The atmos is slightly tighter at the temples than the pneumo, something I found out when I retired the pneumo and used the atmos for commuting.

From using all 3, aside from fit and larger vents, there's nothing that the iono has that the atmos, or pneumo, or a comparatively cheap $60 doesn't have.

The specialized s-works helmet that I use on my road bike for longer rides, on the other hand, does have 2 pretty unique features that none of the other helmets, no matter how expensive, has. The retention feature has a strap on the front that holds my head better than any of the other helmets and lifts the actual foam part off my forehead. The front of the helmet itself also has vents where the forehead is, to evaporate sweat that otherwise would be dripping into my eyes. That feature works really well. Previously, I would have sweat pouring down my face from my atmos within about 2 hours or so. With the s-works I've been out for 8 hours without that problem.
Old 07-17-08, 06:44 AM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Atmos is a helmet I'd like ot get . Maybe this winter when they go on winter closeout.

Rightnow, I picked upa cheaper LG Avant from NAshbar. It loks ok, but the vents aren't as plentiful. My guess is it will be a bit warmer on 100F days.

As far as the Atmos being a sloppy build. I can honestly say that refining the build of a styrofoam cup is not exactly an artform that I know of. I just want the dang thing to keep my head from cracking open if I take a spill. That said, I still want an Atmos.
Old 07-17-08, 06:56 AM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by damocles1
They fit totally different as well. The Ionos feels like it's built on the same head mold as the Bell Sweep. It's a very round feeling and squeezed the crap out of my forehead. I rode the Ionos one time and took it back. I swapped it for an Atmos and have never looked back.
The Atmos fits like the Pneumo.
I tried the Ionos as well and couldn't wear it, but I love my Atmos. That's why I always caution people to try them both and not just assume that if they like the Atmos the Ionos must be even better... For my wife, the Ionos fits much better than the Atmos so that's what she got.
Old 07-17-08, 07:03 AM
BHBiker
CERVEL-LIZED!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just like seats and pedals....helmets are a personal choice. Everyon has different head shapes. I tried the Ionos.....it just isn't a good fit and I ended up getting an Atmos. Better fit is the key for me.

cheers!
Old 07-17-08, 07:04 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot
Atmos is a helmet I'd like ot get . Maybe this winter when they go on winter closeout.

Rightnow, I picked upa cheaper LG Avant from NAshbar. It loks ok, but the vents aren't as plentiful. My guess is it will be a bit warmer on 100F days.

As far as the Atmos being a sloppy build. I can honestly say that refining the build of a styrofoam cup is not exactly an artform that I know of. I just want the dang thing to keep my head from cracking open if I take a spill. That said, I still want an Atmos.
If your a medium, you can buy mine. White & silver 2 months old. I hate the way the straps fit.

Richard
Old 07-17-08, 07:09 AM
Jarery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Ionos but it was cheaper than an Atmos due to it being offered at about 1/2 price as sponsorship perk to our cycling club.
Old 07-17-08, 01:45 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have worn Atmos's for many years and have just started wearing an Ionos...

That said, is the Ionos worth more than the Atmos? Hard to say considering I paid about the same for both helmets. The Atmos I paid ~$150 for 2 years ago, and the Ionos I paid similar last month.

Both helmets feel good, to my head. The Ionons feels a bit more solid to my noggin and cradles it a bit more than the Atmos. Given the same size in both helmets, the Ionos is slightly larger in size than the Atmos, which is different than when the Ionos was featured before it's debut. Both ventilate well, but I think the Ionos is slightly cooler feeling with the bigger vents.

The Ionos does not come with the Pod carry case that the Atmos came with (good thing I have a few extras of these), but it does come with a new Bug filter that can be placed in to filter out the huge bug grabbing vents.

To me it's a wash, I like both. I like the way the Atmos looks on my head more, however I like the less stacked profile of the Ionos in the back.

I have crashed 2 Atmos's (broken) where I have suffered minor injuries and concussions both times, however I'm still here to talk about it. My wife loves my Atmos's for that. I have yet to crash a Ionos for comparison, however there is lots of riding yet to be done

2 Atmos left, Ionos right

Last edited by ViperZ; 07-17-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-17-08, 02:50 PM
AshtonEMT
3 - 2 Getting Better.

Bikes: 2008 Giant TCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the bug filter is an insert to partially occlude the vents for winter riding.
Old 07-17-08, 03:01 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jens5
If your a medium, you can buy mine. White & silver 2 months old. I hate the way the straps fit.

Richard
Nope, I have a skinny head. SMALL.
Old 07-17-08, 06:39 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AshtonEMT
I believe the bug filter is an insert to partially occlude the vents for winter riding.
You could very well be right

For me for winter or fall riding, a full skull cap goes under the helmet, so for me it would be more a bug net
Old 07-17-08, 09:36 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stray Cat
Vents better, 10% lighter, and newer. I don't really see it worth the money over the atmos. (I have one as well.)

Only reason I got an Atmos: it was $125. Wouldn't pay another $100 on top for a little better helmet.
Ditto
Old 07-17-08, 09:42 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
The atmos is slightly tighter at the temples than the pneumo, something I found out when I retired the pneumo and used the atmos for commuting.

From using all 3, aside from fit and larger vents, there's nothing that the iono has that the atmos, or pneumo, or a comparatively cheap $60 doesn't have.

The specialized s-works helmet that I use on my road bike for longer rides, on the other hand, does have 2 pretty unique features that none of the other helmets, no matter how expensive, has. The retention feature has a strap on the front that holds my head better than any of the other helmets and lifts the actual foam part off my forehead. The front of the helmet itself also has vents where the forehead is, to evaporate sweat that otherwise would be dripping into my eyes. That feature works really well. Previously, I would have sweat pouring down my face from my atmos within about 2 hours or so. With the s-works I've been out for 8 hours without that problem.
Totally agree with you on the fit around the temples...it feels like it could use a bit more cushioning there...I have to play with it a bit to manage this...while I have heard many people note that sweat rolls down their face with the Atmos, it has never been a problem for me, even in 100+ degree days in Austin area or sticky days in Kansas City...that being said, I like the different look of the S-Works and have thought about getting one...
Old 07-18-08, 04:19 AM
asmallsol
Cat3.*....Cat2

Bikes: A lot.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stray Cat

Nope, my Atmos is 29 grams lighter then my Ionos. Both are mediums. 280g vs 309g so actually the Atmos is about 10% lighter.

What I am pissed off is they no longer have helmet pods. I had heard they had dropped them on the Atmos but still had them with the Ionos. When I bought my Ionos, no helmet pod At least I still have my old one (my atmos doesn't go in there since its crushed. Now its a convo piece)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.