Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-17, 06:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
... see that every pose is different! This dude actually put all these on?!
No wonder we understand each other.
Old 10-04-17, 07:59 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Talked to a hiring manager at Trek yesterday..just got an email from their recruiter this morning asking me when I can come to Waterloo for an in person interview!
Old 10-04-17, 08:30 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Woohoo - discount Treks for the 33.
Old 10-04-17, 11:58 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My power meter pod snapped during my ride. I guess when your wattage goes so high the electronics just blow up. On the positive side not using a power meter burns 50% more calories, so its McDonald's tonight!

I overnighted a replacement and got these excerpts in the email:

Delivery Method
Next Business Day

and in fine print on the bottom....

Delivery Message
Most deliveries will arrive within 11-16 business days of order receipt however, it can sometimes take longer. If your order does not arrive within this timeframe, please be patient as shipping times are an estimate and may vary based on your location.

What year is this 2004? Anyway I called Garmin and its being shipped.
Old 10-04-17, 12:37 PM
Doge

Going down to Vista to pick up the newest n+1 family member.
Old 10-04-17, 12:48 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Odd name for an Amazon pickup center. You must really not want the wife knowing about that large order of camo singlets.
Old 10-04-17, 04:30 PM
Doge

Needs some re-taping, some small tuning (wheels) and I think she'll be about 16 lbs.
Junior has good MASI feelings.
EmilycxMASI.jpg
Old 10-04-17, 04:46 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Odd name for an Amazon pickup center. You must really not want the wife knowing about that large order of camo singlets.
they aren't signlets. they are tops and bottoms so you can mix and match. singlet is just the best look.
Old 10-04-17, 06:30 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Oct 17th is my interview, driving up on the 16th and Trek is paying for me to stay here...

Old 10-04-17, 06:57 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Hotel Big ******.

I cant say good luck enough.
Old 10-04-17, 07:42 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Needs some re-taping, some small tuning (wheels) and I think she'll be about 16 lbs.
Junior has good MASI feelings.
Attachment 583364
16# for a CX bike with disc brakes is pretty darn light!
Old 10-04-17, 08:15 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by tetonrider
16# for a CX bike with disc brakes is pretty darn light!
As <12 is for the road. I like light.
A bit why I'm anti disc for road. It is nice stuff, if you like using brakes. I get 2x expected life on my car brakes cause I don't use them much. Big fat me and junior don't use them on bikes, so not needed, but as everyone has discs in cx, we just copy. Easy wheel, seat and small part weight savings.

Turns out is it this bike - not model - that bike. The one in the photo shoot.
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gea...st-look-50793/

Last edited by Doge; 10-04-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-04-17, 08:42 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Oct 17th is my interview, driving up on the 16th and Trek is paying for me to stay here...
Makes me want to buy Trek. Hoping for the best, but regardless, enjoy the journey.
Old 10-04-17, 09:10 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As <12 is for the road. I like light.
A bit why I'm anti disc for road. It is nice stuff, if you like using brakes. I get 2x expected life on my car brakes cause I don't use them much. Big fat me and junior don't use them on bikes, so not needed, but as everyone has discs in cx, we just copy. Easy wheel, seat and small part weight savings.

Turns out is it this bike - not model - that bike. The one in the photo shoot.
The 2018 Masi CXRC is dipped in unicorn's blood - BikeRadar USA
The Shimano hydraulic brifters are HEAVY -- even the di2 ones. It's immediately apparent when you take them out of the box; they feel like bricks.

Also, frames and forks are a bit beefier to accommodate the discs.

I'm not at all a fan on the road for racing (unnecessary IMO); for cross and off-road applications, i find discs to be a bit better. Also, instead of grinding dirt/mud/grit into your expensive carbon rim, you wear down the rotor. You don't lose braking ability *during* a CX race. Not as light, but I think this is one area that can enable a rider to go faster.

I don't know if I ever got my cross bikes under 17.00 (with pedals), even though the are 1x. I use pretty solid bars & stem (PRO Vibe), and I know the paint job on my frames is +100, 150g; they are Di2 bikes, which I also think makes quite a bit of sense for off-road applications/mud. I'd even suggest going with an XTR RD (clutch), though that's another weight penalty + a little friction.

Realize that if your boy races in the mud, the N/W profile of that single ring will not keep the chain on the bike. A clutch RD is good as a minimum -- or inner catcher + outer guide. Or at least recognize it's a risk.

Narrow-wide rings aren't the only thing one needs in the mud to keep the chain on, unfortunately.
Old 10-04-17, 09:37 PM
Doge

The Shimano hydraulic brifters are HEAVY -- even the di2 ones. It's immediately apparent when you take them out of the box; they feel like bricks.

Also, frames and forks are a bit beefier to accommodate the discs.

I'm not at all a fan on the road for racing (unnecessary IMO); for cross and off-road applications, i find discs to be a bit better. Also, instead of grinding dirt/mud/grit into your expensive carbon rim, you wear down the rotor. You don't lose braking ability *during* a CX race. Not as light, but I think this is one area that can enable a rider to go faster.

I don't know if I ever got my cross bikes under 17.00 (with pedals), even though the are 1x. I use pretty solid bars & stem (PRO Vibe), and I know the paint job on my frames is +100, 150g; they are Di2 bikes, which I also think makes quite a bit of sense for off-road applications/mud. I'd even suggest going with an XTR RD (clutch), though that's another weight penalty + a little friction.

Realize that if your boy races in the mud, the N/W profile of that single ring will not keep the chain on the bike. A clutch RD is good as a minimum -- or inner catcher + outer guide. Or at least recognize it's a risk.

Narrow-wide rings aren't the only thing one needs in the mud to keep the chain on, unfortunately.
Do you know if they wet the course at nationals/Reno? Tire choices, again, but looks like he'll have both. We now have 6 wheel sets in the works. The clutched RD sounds important. Not Di2, now. Kinda bummed.

I'm in for less than what I could sell it all for in march. So I want to see how it goes. Unlike road racing, 50th or 100th is no big deal in Reno. It feels like Strava...just for fun and nothing matters except trips and fun. I'm sure that is a lie at some level, but I'm going with it. Based on demonstrated ability new toys will be bought, or not MASI had a picture of him in the lobby, so made this easy. And he truly loves them.
Old 10-04-17, 10:45 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if they wet the course at nationals/Reno?
I'd tend to doubt it but don't know for sure.

Originally Posted by doge
Tire choices, again, but looks like he'll have both. We now have 6 wheel sets in the works. The clutched RD sounds important. Not Di2, now. Kinda bummed.
Di2 is super nice for cross. Any situation where you might have mud/dirt but still need perfect shifts is a sweet-spot.

6 wheel sets? Personally, I'd say invest in the 2nd frame instead of 2-3 of those wheel sets. Running a more aggressive tire won't materially hurt him in dry conditions/grass, but running a less aggressive tire will be a serious hindrance in wet/mud, esp for a rider like him coming from the road / without major MTB skills.

I'm in for less than what I could sell it all for in march.
That's cool!

So I want to see how it goes. Unlike road racing, 50th or 100th is no big deal in Reno. It feels like Strava...just for fun and nothing matters except trips and fun. I'm sure that is a lie at some level, but I'm going with it. Based on demonstrated ability new toys will be bought, or not MASI had a picture of him in the lobby, so made this easy. And he truly loves them.
They couldn't kick a 2nd frame and fewer wheels? I truly feel that will be a MUCH, much bigger deal, esp if it is wet/muddy.
Old 10-04-17, 10:51 PM
tetonrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS I just looked up my spreadsheet for my SW Crux build: 17.2#.

I happen to be building a Tarmac now, and the frame itself (both 56cm) is 400g heavier. The fork is nearly 200g heavier. The brake calipers don't weigh that much more than road calipers (+50g per side), while the brifters are nearly 300g heavier.

Compared to a set of 404 tubulars with decent road tires, 303 disc tubulars with nice FMBs are +600g.

All told, that's about +1.6kg, or 3.5# heavier -- less a bit for a FD and small chainring (~150g).

My drivetrain, seat posts, saddle, stem and bars are pretty much the same for road and cross.

A CruX pro is a little heavier... 100, 150g. Part of the difference between the Tarmac and CruX weight difference is that my Tarmac is matte black and the CruX has a super-cool-but-heavy glossy paint job that involves laying down primer and adding clear-coat. Paint jobs on some bikes can add 200g.
Old 10-04-17, 10:56 PM
Doge

6 wheel sets? Personally, I'd say invest in the 2nd frame instead of 2-3 of those wheel sets. Running a more ....

They couldn't kick a 2nd frame and fewer wheels? I truly feel that will be a MUCH, much bigger deal, esp if it is wet/muddy.
He now has 2 bikes without touching them in the ~18 and change range. Just a few things to make both ~17 range. Padding on seats is pretty useless with modern shorts. I'd prefer the weight goes on he bike and off the shorts, but I can't buy that way. I do think the equipment matters, but I also think I can look, question and guess how much. So if he turns a 67th place, or DNFs, I think I could guess what 2lbs lighter and cool stuff would do just watching relative performance. It is certainly not physics, it is the whole thing.
Old 10-04-17, 11:12 PM
Doge

PS I just looked up my spreadsheet for my SW Crux build: 17.2#.

I happen to be building a Tarmac now, and the frame itself (both 56cm) is 400g heavier. The fork is nearly 200g heavier. The brake calipers don't weigh that much more than road calipers (+50g per side), while the brifters are nearly 300g heavier.

Compared to a set of 404 tubulars with decent road tires, 303 disc tubulars with nice FMBs are +600g.

All told, that's about +1.6kg, or 3.5# heavier -- less a bit for a FD and small chainring (~150g).

My drivetrain, seat posts, saddle, stem and bars are pretty much the same for road and cross.

A CruX pro is a little heavier... 100, 150g. Part of the difference between the Tarmac and CruX weight difference is that my Tarmac is matte black and the CruX has a super-cool-but-heavy glossy paint job that involves laying down primer and adding clear-coat. Paint jobs on some bikes can add 200g.
For road - Specialized just uses more material than Haro/Masi. We have the 2015 Venge, had 2014 Tarmac Pro and S-Works 2016. All my builds I had to add weight for UCI - even the pro. But for the MASI road, never UCI raced but under 12 lbs. MASI does not have the engineers that Specialized do. As all these bikes are made within a few miles of each other, I believe the engineering gets around. I'd gladly take a CruX and Di2 and might next year, but starting with this is just fine. Much is delivery time. Bikes are needed in Oct - not Dec. Bike companies need to get their delivery in line with the season. cx is kinda new, but you can't have a bike avail mid season and expect to get the same sales.

FWIW - I'm saying this more as a professional in the mfg/tech marketing space. There is work to be done.
Old 10-05-17, 07:04 AM
topflightpro

Do you know if they wet the course at nationals/Reno?
No. They will not intentionally do anything to alter the terrain. Some years nationals are dry and fast. Some years they start that way, then it rains or snows and turns into a mess. Weather is a major factor in cross.
Old 10-05-17, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Wylde06

Good luck, but that hotel is totally haunted.
Old 10-05-17, 07:07 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Good luck, but that hotel is totally haunted.
In the middle of the night the specter of Gary Fisher appears and waxes your mustache while you sleep.
Old 10-05-17, 07:07 AM
topflightpro

In other news, I finished reading The Grapes of Wrath last night. I think it took me about six months - I read a few "fun" books in between.

I know I was supposed to read it in High School, but I probably just bought the Cliff Notes. It was certainly a long read, and at points very engrossing, at other points, not so much.
Old 10-05-17, 07:28 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's my favorite book, I've read it at least a few times.
Old 10-05-17, 07:41 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by topflightpro
No. They will not intentionally do anything to alter the terrain. Some years nationals are dry and fast. Some years they start that way, then it rains or snows and turns into a mess. Weather is a major factor in cross.
Thanks. I was hoping to get an idea by the weather report. That is good news. I heard some are wet down. That may be MTB, or cross - I forgot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.