Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Digestive issues and cycling question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 11:40 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I recently pretty much doubled my cycling (distance, time on bike and number of times a week) in the last couple of weeks and just recently got a pretty uncomfortable digestion issue which has now turned into a not so fun hemorrhoids issue I feel this has to be all connected to my big increase in cycling. Now i can’t ride which sucks!! Anyone had this happen to you? I have read some articles that longer distance cycling can disrupt your digestive system (being in such an unnatural position for so long). With me, about a week ago I had this happen, this digestive issue. I had that feeling I had to go, but just really couldn't or barely could. So, that then caused my hemorrhoids issue which I have now.
Old 05-10-20, 11:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6186 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Eat more fiber and vegetables when off the bike, drink more fluids both on and off.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-10-20, 11:46 AM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I hope it all comes out right in the end.
Old 05-10-20, 11:48 AM
JustinOldPhart
Junior Samples

Bikes: '74 Eisentraut, '94 Univega Alpina Pro, KLR650, R1200RT

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 27 Posts
Your enema is your friend.

Truly, though, you're not eating right if you feel like ya gotta poo and ya cain't poo. Further, it's not really an 'unnatural 'position.
Old 05-10-20, 03:00 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
Fill one of your water bottles with Kombucha.
Old 05-10-20, 07:18 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I’m Guessing Here

You are dehydrated and the straining to go is what has caused the hemorrhoid issue. Fiber alone is good but not without fluids.
Likes For venturi95:
Old 05-11-20, 08:24 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I recently pretty much doubled my cycling (distance, time on bike and number of times a week) in the last couple of weeks and just recently got a pretty uncomfortable digestion issue which has now turned into a not so fun hemorrhoids issue I feel this has to be all connected to my big increase in cycling. Now i can’t ride which sucks!! Anyone had this happen to you? I have read some articles that longer distance cycling can disrupt your digestive system (being in such an unnatural position for so long). With me, about a week ago I had this happen, this digestive issue. I had that feeling I had to go, but just really couldn't or barely could. So, that then caused my hemorrhoids issue which I have now.
Are you using gels and other types of maltodextrin supplements during your rides? There are known issues with those carbohydrate sources on some individuals. It is not the cycling position that is the problem, it is the food.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 05-12-20, 04:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
There are several books out there by the same author that give ideas for on bike food made from natural ingredients. His name is Allen Lim, I believe. normal food really helped me feel better.
Old 05-12-20, 04:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
It's the sugar that kills mine - I can have four scrambled eggs before a ride and then just a Picky bar and be good for 60-70 miles. If I go through gels I'll be bloated and nauseous and gain weight throughout the summer.
Old 05-12-20, 05:59 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by carminepraha
I have had it happen from eating chocolate Power Bars. Those things are major digestive irritants, and often the cause of endless flatulence.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-12-20, 06:09 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I get an upset stomach and feel sorta sick after a long strenuous sweaty ride if i don't load up on electrolytes beforehand. I am a super salty sweater, and lose a ton of salt & minerals during a harder effort ride, especially in higher temps. My solution is to buy powdered Gatorade mix and eat the mix equivalent of 1/4 gallon of powder before the ride, along with making sure i am well hydrated beforehand. If i don't have the mix on hand, a bit of straight salt works okay. Half of my bottles will also be filled with Gatorade i mix a bit strong, the other half is water. I usually feel good afterwards, and have a white crust of salt on my face from dried sweat! I think i am an extreme case of a 'salty sweater', but this is the only way i can take a high effort ride in the hot summer and not feel sick to my stomach afterwards.
Old 05-12-20, 06:22 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I get an upset stomach and feel sorta sick after a long strenuous sweaty ride if i don't load up on electrolytes beforehand. I am a super salty sweater, and lose a ton of salt & minerals during a harder effort ride, especially in higher temps. My solution is to buy powdered Gatorade mix and eat the mix equivalent of 1/4 gallon of powder before the ride, along with making sure i am well hydrated beforehand. If i don't have the mix on hand, a bit of straight salt works okay. Half of my bottles will also be filled with Gatorade i mix a bit strong, the other half is water. I usually feel good afterwards, and have a white crust of salt on my face from dried sweat! I think i am an extreme case of a 'salty sweater', but this is the only way i can take a high effort ride in the hot summer and not feel sick to my stomach afterwards.
The last time wifey was at Kona, she had a session with the folks from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute getting sweat-tested. She's the sort of heavy sweater who finishes most rides with white ripples of salt on her kit. She also does really well in the heat compared to most - how do you fare in the heat?
Old 05-12-20, 06:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Dehydration and lack of enough fiber in the diet are the most likely causes, as others already pointed out. I am guessing this is a new problem, so the simplest thing to do is to drink at least twice as much water as you think you need.
Old 05-12-20, 07:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Start eating 2 apples/day, one mid-morning, the other mid-afternoon. This is very simple and requires no thought or other alterations.

As far as electrolytes and sweating: I eat a low salt diet. I strain a bit to get a total of 3/4 t. of salt/day and never salt my food except for eggs. In hot weather, I take 1 Endurolyte/hour. I never have salt stains and do fine on pass climbs in 100°+ heat as long as I have enough water. Medically, I don't need a low salt diet - my BP is usually 115/70 or thereabouts. I eat low salt because it's healthier and I do better in the heat with it.

It's easy to tell if you're drinking enough water: you pee every 3 hours or less. If you're not peeing, you need to drink water until you do.

There certainly are bike-related digestion issues for long distance riders. Sounds like the OP has just become one. Welcome! The problem is eating during the ride, which one has to do, something on the order of 125-300 calories/hour, steady. When going hard for long distances, the stomach doesn't get the blood flow it usually does, plus too much food combined with not enough water in the stomach with the food will cause the food to just sit there and then you feel like barfing and pretty soon you aren't going anywhere. So eat, and drink plenty of water with the food. Gels and shot bloks are particular offenders. Usually takes 6 swallows of water per gel. Too much food and too little water raises the stomach's osmolality. Worth a google, that word.

Doctor Butler's is good medication while you're suffering.
Old 05-12-20, 10:47 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The last time wifey was at Kona, she had a session with the folks from the Gatorade Sports Science Institute getting sweat-tested. She's the sort of heavy sweater who finishes most rides with white ripples of salt on her kit. She also does really well in the heat compared to most - how do you fare in the heat?
I am no worse in the heat, as long as i stay properly hydrated, but i do sweat a lot, which means a lot of fluids and electrolytes have to going back in my body to compensate. Though i have ridden comfortably in all temps ranging from -30°F to 100+°, my favorite riding temp as far as comfort is concerned for higher effort riding is probably in the high 60's.
Old 05-13-20, 02:51 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
I have found that if I put Nuun in my water bottle for a long ride I feel better for it . Recently I have discovered that if I eat prior to my morning ride I don’t feel good. I get slight cramping even after my morning constitutional. I take a breakfast bar with me and after about 15 miles or so I stop and snack with my mineral supplements and no problem. I am vegan and have no other digestive issues. As far as seat issues I always wear cycling shorts or undies for padding.