Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How many group rides per week

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How many group rides per week

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 09:23 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,023 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Turn it all the way up to 11.
Does it go to 11?
Likes For big john:
Old 01-18-22, 12:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If the OP really wants to do something, which I take it is in question, then one competitive group ride per week is the usual dose. That's your fitness test, see what you got. The rest of the week is prep for that group ride, i.e. structured training trying to fix what you're worst at. Hopefully that focus will change as the year goes on. I wouldn't mind seeing comments tying "what you're worst at" to structured training responses. That would be useful.

I used to ride with some champs too, when they were slumming in the winter. I think the attraction was that we showed up, worked hard, and didn't have accidents. It's called "safe, cooperative riding." Which doesn't mean you don't try to pull the socks off the other riders. That's also cooperative. You just don't ride away when you do, you go to the back of the line and let someone else try to kill themselves. That's how good group rides are not races - well except for the finishing sprint and the preceding lead-out. One of the objects of the game is to be there for that. That last couple of miles, things do get strung out. That's how we did it, anyway.

Some of our riders quit us and took up crit racing. Their comment was - we hadn't been doing nearly enough anaerobic work and recovery from same. 4-6 hours was too long, but I think that's what mid-week is for. Group rides are for learning how to behave while having fun being challenged. The folks who left to go race were ready - no accidents that I ever heard of. One learns how to tell a rider to be near vs. a rider to stay away from.

And I guess it's an ego thing. You don't show up for a group ride on a SS or fixed bike, not unless you're going to be one of the strongest riders there, able both to drop people on long 10% grades and hit 30 for short periods. That's not helpful for you or anyone else. One of the things I learned early on was to match my cadence to the rider in front of me, so we'd both respond the same to changes.
Old 01-18-22, 02:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I’m not surprised that you are confused.
I am confused as to why you would introduce your own brand of amateur alcohol counseling into a thread about group rides.
Good stuff lol
Old 01-18-22, 03:27 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If they're on a recovery/endurance ride, and you're doing tempo/threshold, then you're not really training the same as they are, are you?
yeah thats what im worried about, but the gap is closing. Rides that I got dropped on months ago are now pretty easy for me
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 01-18-22, 03:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yeah thats what im worried about, but the gap is closing. Rides that I got dropped on months ago are now pretty easy for me
You need an objective measure, like a cyclocomputer. A lot of serious cyclists don't ride as hard after racing season is over...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-18-22, 10:56 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
4-5 drop rides is way too much. It depends on your age and fitness and ability to recover. When I was younger, I raced once on the weekend and one hard group ride after work during the middle of the week. Intervals one day, sprints another day. Two rest days. Sunday was the long steady ride.

You also have to take into account your alcohol consumption. That puts a load on your system. too
I’ll tell you when I’ve had enough!!!
Old 01-19-22, 01:00 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-19-22, 08:42 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This is the correct answer. It helps if you carry a towel along on the rides. They come in handy.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-22-22, 03:58 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
If you can do 1.1, your FTP is wacked and the Zwift police are coming PDQ
I've done 1.15 for over an hour, and that was with nearly 30 minutes of z1. The NP bust is real.
Likes For rubiksoval: