Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Considering a Trek Portland, but concerned...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 11:53 AM
JFlurett
Bike Riding Hippie

Bikes: Tricross Singlecross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been commuting on a Tricross Singlecross and find the need for gears. I am not highly knowledgeable with components etc.

I took a ride on a Portland yesterday. I am drawn to the disc brakes given my location. I am concerned about a couple things though:

1. It seems for the price the components aren't up to snuff. I guess this is a trade off for the disc brakes?

2. Price. I'm not opposed to spending this amount of money for a solid commuter. I guess this kind of coincides with 1.

3. Potential for theft. I won't be leaving this out overnight, or really anywhere in the open for long periods of time. I have a locker at work, and the rest is shopping or going to work out.

At the Trek store the guy suggested I take a ride on a Jake the Snake. They didn't have my size in stock, but could have one sent. I declined for the moment.

Any other bikes I should consider?

I read completely polarizing views on almost everything on the bike. It's light for what it does. It's a heavy bike. The brakes are top notch. I've had serious adjusting issues with the brakes. Etc.

Help?
Old 10-18-09, 11:57 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've yet to see a Portland owner who was unhappy with their bike.

That said, the bike was priced fairly high before they lowered the component specs. There are a lot more of these types of bikes out there than there used to be - and plenty of threads around discussing them all.

Last edited by JeffS; 10-18-09 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 12:06 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
A bike's a lot like a marriage. Marry in haste, repent at leisure... Spend some time, look at used bikes if you want.

Personally, the components on it don't bother me, except the wheels. Those aren't commuter wheels.

When you test ride a bike, take it for a real spin. Find a hill, get out of the saddle and hammer. You want a little flex, but you definitely don't want a lot. Hit a good pothole hard, does it feel bad or does it feel like someone took a baseball bat to your hands.

You have a bunch of other bikes to look at. Here's one..
https://www.salsacycles.com/casseroll08.html
Old 10-18-09, 12:17 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my next bike. I'm selling one of my race bikes to make it work. I'm pretty sure it's a bit more than the Portland, but it's one sweet bike.

Pics with and w/o fenders.

Old 10-18-09, 12:18 PM
lambo_vt
member. heh.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've never heard a Portland owner complain other than that the "fenders" that come on it are worthless. However, I wouldn't personally pay full MSRP for one, which is the only price I've ever seen. Don't know about other areas, but it doesn't seem to be a bike that many shops stock.
Old 10-18-09, 12:26 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
We all have our biases, but I wouldn't get a Portland. And I work at a Trek dealership. If you want one weighed for comparison purposes, I can do so, by the way.

I like the looks of that Casseroll and would also consider a Surly Pacer or Soma Smoothie ES (which is what I have). With a rear rack, full SKS fenders, two bottle cages, a computer, and medium-weight tires, my Soma weighs 23.8 pounds; I'm guessing the bare Portland weighs a lot more, and doesn't ride like Tange Prestige steel either.

Last edited by mechBgon; 10-18-09 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 01:48 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In response to question 2): I think it's inadequate for a commuter (especially considering the price). No usable fenders, no chain case, no hub light generator and the tires would need replacing too...
Old 10-18-09, 03:45 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
No but real full fenders, a rack and a dyno hub with light can easily be installed by a local LBS.
Old 10-18-09, 03:48 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Baron Outsider looks sweet. But for those who don't want to wait an off-the-rack bike will do.
Old 10-18-09, 07:21 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm nothing but delighted with my '06 Trek Portland.

We recently celebrated our second anniversary (it hung around my LBS for two years waiting for me to buy it) and I still stand by my initial impressions from my test ride and after owning it for a couple of weeks.

As for weight, mine is a 56cm and was 23½ pounds box-stock. Kitted-out the way I have it now, it's 27½ pounds.

I had full fenders installed at the LBS and I installed the rack myself. For its anniversary, I ordered it a dynamo hub and Schmidt Edelux headlight and B&M taillight.

In my experience, the wheels are the weak link on this bike. The low spoke count, 2X paired-spoke lacing isn't up to the daily cut and thrust of urban commuting. The other issue I had was with the rear brake caliper. Avid replaced it under warranty.

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy the 2009 or 2010. My 2006 was handbuilt in Wisconsin, and has 105 with a splash of Ultegra, and Avid BB7 brakes. The newer ones are built overseas, and have downgraded components--Tiagra and some Shimano brake.

It's a real shame since the frameset is just so wonderful. Hanging crap components on that frameset is a major travesty.

But, if mine was crashed or stolen, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. I'd also replace the downgraded components.
Old 10-18-09, 08:24 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Its not a touring bike and its not a road bike. It marries the best of both in a commuter bike. The Portland's pedigree goes back to the sport road bike of the 60s and 70s before the bicycle industry forgot about them in the rush to build fast race bikes that weren't useful to most people. As an all-rounder, the Portland aims to be that and more.

Good review!
Old 10-18-09, 10:39 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The Raleigh Sojourn seems like a darn good deal right now:
https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/sojourn/

I think rei sells it for less than $1000.
Old 10-18-09, 10:43 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like this bike; and with the money you'd save you could add the dynamo.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bi...ATO-Peace-Tour
Old 10-18-09, 11:37 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
I like this bike; and with the money you'd save you could add the dynamo.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa/eng/Bi...ATO-Peace-Tour
I would love the either the GT Peacetour or the Portland; however, both of them would be impractical for me or any other rider under 5'5". Why? Neither one come in a size with the stand over less than 30 inches.
Old 10-19-09, 12:07 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
The Salsa looks nice but I believe the Portland has more tire clearance. TSL, - you have full fenders and 35 mm studs on yours during the winter don't you? Supposedly the Salsa can only handle full fenders with 32 mm tires.

The lack of a full chain case or hub generator is far from a deal killer as far as I'm concerned. Though I can definitely see that advantages of having those things (especially the hub generator) I don't consider them requirements for a commuter. Especially since neither of my commuter bikes have them.
Old 10-19-09, 12:26 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It seems to me that the big decision in this price range is do you want disc brakes or not.

Assuming you've read up on the pros/cons of discs, your choices under $2,000 are:

- Trek Portland
- New Jamis Aurora Elite (it gets disc brakes in 2010)
- Some new Kona model with drop bars...I forget the name
- Salsa La Cruz
- Raleigh Sojourn

There may be others...

If you don't want/need disc brakes there are tons of options - Kona, Redline Conquest, Specialized Tricross, Surly, Soma, etc. etc.
Old 10-19-09, 12:58 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i like the cruz

but that's a race-able bike.

and the soujourn.

but that's a touring bike and way beefy.

also consider

buzz road... better price and components. (bb7 and gossamer and tiagra blasts away the tiagra/105 and vero on the portland)

dew drop... better price point than portland and you get a very comparable setup. (tiagra and deore are actually great commuter groups. for commuting, deore rd is probably better than the 105)

i'd also venture to say that these are also nicer looking bikes. they all look new and flashy, i'd suggest a surly or a raleigh if you wanted something that looked understated.

all others have been mentioned. but the the snake is a much better buy if you can do without discs. discs are overrated unless you are in deep mud and snow often.

Last edited by cc700; 10-19-09 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-19-09, 05:03 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700

discs are overrated unless you are in deep mud and snow often.
Sorry, gonna call BS on this one. Any kind of weather, including rain. And if you want a set of brakes that are always "there" regardless then discs are it.
Old 10-19-09, 06:36 AM
cooleric1234

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ane/outlaw.htm

Sorry, someone had to mention it.
Old 10-19-09, 07:55 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPprivate
In response to question 2): I think it's inadequate for a commuter (especially considering the price). No usable fenders, no chain case, no hub light generator and the tires would need replacing too...
You're in the wrong thread. Seriously.

How many people in this forum have chaincases on their bikes? Or hub generators?
Old 10-19-09, 08:24 AM
looie

Bikes: 2009 Salsa La Cruz; 1997 Jamis Eclipse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm lovin' my Salsa La Cruz. I'd have designed it with a couple more braze-ons, but no bike is perfect. Actually, that Baron up top might be perfect. I swapped the 105 on my La Cruz for SRAM Rival, and I'm very glad I did. I've ridden this rig in some pretty good rain so far and the brakes have done well. So have the fenders. Looking forward to snow.
Old 10-19-09, 08:32 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
I would love the either the GT Peacetour or the Portland; however, both of them would be impractical for me or any other rider under 5'5". Why? Neither one come in a size with the stand over less than 30 inches.
The standover of the 50cm Portland is 29.17 inches. I verified the reported measurements of the 56cm with the actual measurement of my bike, and it's the same, so I imagine reality and advertised measurements of the 50cm is also the same.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...land/#geometry

That said, if you can give up the disc brakes, a friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe in a 44cm that she just loves.
Old 10-19-09, 10:26 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
one for the mix, though tire size options would be more limited than some of the other bikes. This one is in the same vein as the casseroll - a tighter geometry ("roadie-style") frame that can handle rack & fenders.
https://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=*****inc
Old 10-19-09, 10:41 AM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that you should really look at the Salsa La Cruz if you're interested in something like the Portland. It has better components, weighs about the same, has really durable wheels, and is on sale most places now for about $1250.
Old 10-19-09, 04:05 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
$2,000? The Schwinn Super Sport DBX can be had for under $700 - and it has disc brakes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.