Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

no IGH commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

no IGH commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 10:28 AM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no IGH commuters?

I have noticed that I have never seen any long distance commuter bikes with IGH (I call long distance commuter a roady/cyclocross bike). Is there a reason why you never see bike with say drops and an IGH or is this just that people dont think there is a market for it?
Old 01-04-10, 10:42 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chico1st
I have noticed that I have never seen any long distance commuter bikes with IGH (I call long distance commuter a roady/cyclocross bike). Is there a reason why you never see bike with say drops and an IGH or is this just that people dont think there is a market for it?
While much more reliable, IGH bikes are heavier and more expensive, and if you want the gear range of a light, inexpensive derailleur bike, you really have no choice but a very expensive hub. I use an IGH for commuting (5 miles one way). I use a breezer Uptown 8 because I like the upright riding position to make it easier to see traffic. For my LD bikes, I go with derailleur systems. That's my $.02.
Old 01-04-10, 10:45 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
They're out there and you'll probably start to see more as time goes on. I would think touring bikes would be likely candidates before cyclocross and performance oriented road bikes.

Anyway the reason you don't see too many is I'm sure do to the extra weight, slower shifts/loss of efficiency (even if slight), and more limited gearing options since IGH equipped bikes typically have only a single chain ring.

Then there's the shifter problem. There are some options that work on drops but I don't know if there's anything equivalent to a brifter.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-04-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 10:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The reason you don't see drop bar IGH bikes out there is because until last year, there were no real elegant solutions for mounting the shifter on road drop bars

Twist and rapidfire shifters from all the companies marketing IGH hubs fit mtn diameter bars, not road bars, with their greater diameter. Harris Cyclery has a mtn diameter bar-end extension for use with twist shifters.

Last year, JTek produced a bar end shifter, and Dynamic released a brake/shifter unit... on their drop bar "performance" road bike. JTek went out of business, now back. Not sure of plans for further shifter production, but there are older units floating around out there. The new brifter is showing up on some bikes.

Plenty of flat bar IGH bikes out there. Many being used for commuting.

My primary commuter is build around a Nexus 8 hub--38 mi r/t commute; about 2800 mi in '09.
Old 01-04-10, 11:18 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mconlonx
The reason you don't see drop bar IGH bikes out there is because until last year, there were no real elegant solutions for mounting the shifter on road drop bars
+1
Old 01-04-10, 11:39 AM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
+1
+2. If they made a Rohloff with a drop-bar shifter as elegant as brifters, I'd buy it. It wouldn't even have to be a brifter, but it would have to be something sleeker than a twist-grip.
Old 01-04-10, 01:05 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The first bike I bought after starting regular commuting has an IGH, a Swobo Dixon. It's a nice bike, but since getting a road bike in the summer and getting used to it, I prefer road bikes for just moving on clean roads. I had only a MTB before this and didn't think I would like a road bike. I was dead wrong. It's been eye-opening, really. If the roads are clear, it's hard to pick the Dixon because the road bike is faster, easier to ride, and lighter. The Dixon is currently being used most of the time though, since I have studded tires that fit it. Shifting (gripshift) is also much easier with it when wearing heavier/two pairs of gloves, something I didn't think of until today. My road bike uses friction shifting!

For shorter commutes and poorer weather, an IGH startes to make more sense, IMO, but road bikes are generally the cat's ass.
Old 01-04-10, 01:32 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
The reason you don't see drop bar IGH bikes out there is because until last year, there were no real elegant solutions for mounting the shifter on road drop bars.
I don't understand why Shimano, Sturmey Archer, et al haven't addressed this issue.

A twist grip shifter is actually very well suited to IGH generally; you can shift as many gears as you want in one fluid motion (and I do this all the time). The problem is mounting the twist grip shifter to any kind of drop bar. I've tried a couple of innovative ways of doing this, but so far I'm not ecstatic about the results. I'm trying to get a JTek shifter, but they're not available at the moment.

I can't imagine riding in heavy stop-and-go traffic with a derailleur; IGH shifting is just much better for that kind of thing. But I also use IGH's for long distance and touring riding.
Old 01-04-10, 01:51 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by rhm
I don't understand why Shimano, Sturmey Archer, et al haven't addressed this issue.
Probably don't feel that there's enough of a demand for it yet.

Originally Posted by rhm
A twist grip shifter is actually very well suited to IGH generally; you can shift as many gears as you want in one fluid motion (and I do this all the time). The problem is mounting the twist grip shifter to any kind of drop bar. I've tried a couple of innovative ways of doing this, but so far I'm not ecstatic about the results. I'm trying to get a JTek shifter, but they're not available at the moment.

I can't imagine riding in heavy stop-and-go traffic with a derailleur; IGH shifting is just much better for that kind of thing. But I also use IGH's for long distance and touring riding.
In heavy stop and go traffic I'm not doing a ton of shifting and typically any gear I stop in is suitable for starting again. There are times when I leave myself in too high of a gear but I usually don't realize that until after started pedaling anyway.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-04-10 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 01:53 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Trek Soho with the IGH and I've done a few longer rides, but nothing over 35 miles yet. I plan on doing a 65 mile ride in the spring, and training on this bike up until that ride. My commute to work is just 7.5 round trip, but even on the longer rides I haven't felt any resistance. I can't imagine this bike not working just fine for longer rides...and some drop bars would help with the aero.

As I like to say, "I am the limiting factor in my cycling performance.". An extra 2% efficiency due to drivetrain changes might be nice, but losing that 20 pounds off my a$$ would do me more good.
Old 01-04-10, 01:53 PM
RedWhiteandRed
Bikesman

Bikes: Giant Seek 1 IGH; Specialized Roubaix On Order

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see you are in TO. I commute every day in Toronto on an IGH and really like it. Except that on the colder days the gears will fail to shift because something or other freezes stuck.

The ease of shifting (except in cold) is amazing and shifting at stoplights is very useful. Mine is the Alfine group with the hydraulic disk brakes and I really like those as well.

Also - I should say my daily rides are between 40 and 90kms.
Old 01-04-10, 01:58 PM
Val
Bike Pilot

Bikes: Oh, yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.ecovelo.info/2010/01/03/s...-civia-bryant/ There you go.
Old 01-04-10, 02:01 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 4-speed IGH for two years, it failed. It was nice while it lasted. It was full of road crap and grinding. LBS deemed it unfixable due to labor costs. I went back to regular gears, at least I can fix them easily.

If my commute was near 100% heavy traffic I'd ride singlespeed.

Z.
Old 01-04-10, 02:12 PM
TwoHeadsBrewing
Wildflower Century

Bikes: Trek Soho, Fisher Aquila

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
Wow, very nice bike. I was thinking about a Trek Portland for a future upgrade...but now this will have to go in the running!
Old 01-04-10, 02:24 PM
tjspiel

Originally Posted by Val
Can it take a 40mm tire? That would be a great winter/all round bike for me if I were to suddenly fall into $1800. Kind of a tank though at 30 lbs.
Old 01-04-10, 02:27 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Val
Very nice! Any Civia dealers in Europe?
Old 01-04-10, 02:48 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another one using the Versa shifters and IGH https://www.dynamicbicycles.com/synergy/road.php
Old 01-04-10, 02:54 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
I don't understand why Shimano, Sturmey Archer, et al haven't addressed this issue
Because they also understand that noone REALLY wants this bike.

We'll see how the Civia does. I've already heard the whining about no generator hub though. And if it did have a hub, there would be whining about whether it was the right hub, or whether they put a light on it, and if it was the right light, and if there was a rear light, and if THAT was the right light, and on and on and on down the theoretical BF ideal commuter bike list.

New riders aren't going to buy the Bryant, and people that have been around a lot of different bikes aren't either because they will likely find something they don't like about it. That leaves a fairly narrow group that *thinks* they know what they want.
Old 01-04-10, 04:06 PM
megalowmatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine. I commute 10 miles round trip 3 days a week and built this up a couple months ago. Slick tires and a more stable rack are going on this week. As mentioned, the igh is a little heavy but I am happy with the results. Some think the shifter is cumbersome but I have no issues with it at the bar end.

Old 01-04-10, 04:53 PM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, all of those bikes look awesome! And the bike is 1000$!!!
I am suprised at this as the versa shifters it uses are 229$
Also I really like that those twist shifter ends on your bike megalowmatt but why didnt you put them at the top... where the bar meets the stem?

I hear those of you who commute like crazy with your normal flat bar bikes but where I commute now there are lots of long stretches and wind (Burlington). And I would love to ride SS but there are too many massive hills here.

I had 4-speed IGH for two years, it failed. It was nice while it lasted. It was full of road crap and grinding. LBS deemed it unfixable due to labor costs. I went back to regular gears, at least I can fix them easily.
But aren't IGH supposed to be more immune to offensive material... 2 years isnt that long.

Last edited by chico1st; 01-04-10 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 05:11 PM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjspiel
...In heavy stop and go traffic I'm not doing a ton of shifting and typically any gear I stop in is suitable for starting again. There are times when I leave myself in too high of a gear but I usually don't realize that until after started pedaling anyway.
I have bad knees, so that's actually the main thing that I really like about IGH's. I shift all the time on mine.
Old 01-04-10, 05:30 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But aren't IGH supposed to be more immune to offensive material... 2 years isnt that long.
That's what I though too They're too complex to maintain and repair. If I was riding in nice weather I'd get one again but I'm going to stick with regular gears for now, I just wipe them drivetrain after each messy ride.

A.
Old 01-04-10, 06:32 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just saw a trek soho IGH for $700 (an '90, before the jacked up the price), so maybe soon I'll have a story for this thread
Old 01-04-10, 06:36 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Wow, all of those bikes look awesome! And the bike is less than 100$!!!
I am suprised at this as the versa shifters it uses are 229$
I am thinking that you either mistyped 100$ or misread.

The bike is listed for $999.
Old 01-04-10, 07:10 PM
chico1st
30mi/day commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoops edited

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.