Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 08:50 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
USAC rules may allow it, but many tracks do not. Rock Hill, in particular, specifies that QRs are prohibited. Only bolt-on skewers are allowed.
Old 08-23-17, 09:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I've seen tracks allow standard QR skewers if the lever is taped to the fork.

The reason is one of safety. The risk is that there may be contact between the lever and the rear wheel of another bike flipping the lever open and releasing tension on the front wheel. This will likely wipe out the rider when they hit the first turn with the lateral forces on the loose wheel.
Old 08-23-17, 10:02 AM
defspace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej
Small, random and not quite track related. Trying to find a certain American frame maker but cannot remember the name.
Notable points were they made aluminium race bikes, I think had an Italian sounding name. They offered their frames in two kinds of geometry, even numbers (54,56,58) were reasonably standard and odds (55,57,59) were longer and lower. Also tended to be quite fluro and usually two colours with a fade.
If that jigs anyone's memory help would be appreciated
TFP got it right. Definitely Gaulzetti.
Old 08-27-17, 06:07 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Question. Your experiences with Velodrome Shop in the UK? In spite of several people telling me that I might be disappointed, I ordered a helmet from Velodrome Shop. It was shipped on August 8th, they said. It's still not here, on the 27th. I was forewarned. I hope I get it by Worlds. I hope I get it at all!
Old 08-27-17, 07:08 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by sarals
Question. Your experiences with Velodrome Shop in the UK? In spite of several people telling me that I might be disappointed, I ordered a helmet from Velodrome Shop. It was shipped on August 8th, they said. It's still not here, on the 27th. I was forewarned. I hope I get it by Worlds. I hope I get it at all!
From what I've read about them regarding OK and delayed shipping, my guess is that they simply take orders without regards to whether they have an item in stock or not and ship it when it restocks (if it ever restocks).

If you are planning for Worlds, I'd make other plans. Even though this is your first season racing, you should still get your race kit as early as possible so you can start using it in training and become familiar with it.
Old 08-27-17, 09:34 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Velodrome Shop doesn't carry any stock. They are a a drop shipper. They take your order and place it with the manufacturer or distributor, who then send it out. They have no control over the method of shipping chosen, or when it actually ships. They often say that an item shipped out the day after your order, but I find them to be full of **** in that department. Only order from them in the off-season.
Old 08-28-17, 06:48 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered my Koga Kimera frame through them and it was on my doorstep in the US within 8 days.
Old 08-28-17, 07:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Divebrian
I ordered my Koga Kimera frame through them and it was on my doorstep in the US within 8 days.
That's awesome. Regarding velodrome shop: For every story where things go expected, I hear one where things do not go expected.

That's the normal shipping time from the UK. I've ordered 3 times from Dolan over the years (most recently the Alpina bars) and that's about how long it takes to get stuff from the UK into the US.

Originally Posted by taras0000
Velodrome Shop doesn't carry any stock. They are a a drop shipper. They take your order and place it with the manufacturer or distributor, who then send it out. They have no control over the method of shipping chosen, or when it actually ships. They often say that an item shipped out the day after your order, but I find them to be full of **** in that department. Only order from them in the off-season.
This definitely explains a lot.

I don't think they are a shady company (i.e. credit card scams or whatnot), I do however understand them to charge one's card without shipping immediately (or with any ETA) and be poor about communicating with customers. Either of which is enough to keep me from ever shopping with them.
Old 08-28-17, 12:51 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

They did charge my credit card. They also sent me, after I inquired, the Royal Mail signature code. Which only becomes active after a delivery attempt was made. That's useful.

@carleton, I'm kitted up. I ordered a Casco Wasp for the match sprints, but I can (and probably will) use my Aerohead for the sprints. I've also entered all of the events I felt I could reasonably compete in, as well. AND I have my hotel room. All I need is legs!

I do hope to see and meet some of you there (I may have met some of you already, I just wasn't aware!).
Old 08-28-17, 01:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

They did charge my credit card. They also sent me, after I inquired, the Royal Mail signature code. Which only becomes active after a delivery attempt was made. That's useful.

@carleton, I'm kitted up. I ordered a Casco Wasp for the match sprints, but I can (and probably will) use my Aerohead for the sprints. I've also entered all of the events I felt I could reasonably compete in, as well. AND I have my hotel room. All I need is legs!

I do hope to see and meet some of you there (I may have met some of you already, I just wasn't aware!).
You can use your Royal Mail code to track your package in the US...sorta.

Go to the Royal Mail website and enter the code: https://www.royalmail.com/track-your-item

There should be something that says, "Track your package on our partner's website..." or something like that. They will give you a USPS tracking code. Take that code and enter it into https://www.usps.com/ and track it there...if it is in the USPS system.

Keep in mind that the USPS system is never as timely as FedEx or UPS. Tracking for the USPS website is about 24 hrs behind. I've received delivery alerts a full day after I've had the package in-hand.

Regarding the Casco Warp. I've had 2 generations of this helmet. It is HOT. It doesn't breathe well at all. Use it in workouts beforehand to see how to best use it.

Make sure that the Aerohead is legal for mass start use. Match Sprints are considered a mass start race, so no pointy aero helmets allowed.

Good luck and you'll do fine. I'm sure that you'll meet more bikeforums folks there.
Old 08-28-17, 01:08 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@carleton, thanks!! I've gotten lots of feedback on the Warp, and I know it's hot. That would be nice at Hellyer in the winter!

Hey, I've entered sprints, pursuit, team sprint, team pursuit, and time trial. No mass starts. I thought I'd give the scratch race a go, but it sits the day before the time trial, which is my best event. I want to give as much mustard as I can to something I can actually do, so I passed on it.
Old 08-28-17, 01:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Hey, I've entered sprints, pursuit, team sprint, team pursuit, and time trial. No mass starts.
Awesome.

Just to be clear, only mass start legal helmets are allowed for Match Sprints.

You can use a Pointy helmet in your Flying 200M, but you can't use the same Pointy helmet in the Match Sprint rounds against other riders.

This would be illegal for Match Sprints (but fine in time trials and team time trials):

The line is blurry on these "bobtail" helmets, I'm not sure. I'd ask an official:

These seem to be OK from what I've seen in photos and witnessed:

ALWAYS: When in doubt, walk directly up to the highest ranking official you can find and ask long before your event. You don't want to line up at the starting line and be told that your helmet is not allowed and be sent back scrambling for another one.
Old 08-28-17, 04:14 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
...........That's the normal shipping time from the UK. I've ordered 3 times from Dolan over the years (most recently the Alpina bars) and that's about how long it takes to get stuff from the UK into the US.
I ordered My Hour by Wiggins - I received an email to say the book had been shipped. I received it 10 days later.
Old 08-28-17, 04:57 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@carleton, the Giro Aerohead is a "bobtail" helmet. The word on the, umm, wood around here is that it's okay for match sprints. However - I do want to be sure.
Old 08-28-17, 06:13 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
the Aerohead is mass-start legal.
Old 08-28-17, 07:04 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by queerpunk

Thank you!
Old 08-30-17, 09:10 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
^^^yep quite a few people were using them all week long at Elite Nats
Old 08-30-17, 04:44 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I finally received an update on my order from Velodrome Shop: it "processed through facility" in Heathrow Langley Processing Center today. Okay, so that's shipping on the 8th, right? At least I know where it is. Not when I'll get it, though.
Old 09-03-17, 11:25 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Easton EC90

Anyone have a review/opinion of Easton EC90?
Old 09-03-17, 02:51 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant for razor sharp handling and all day comfort.
Old 09-03-17, 02:54 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ruudlaff
Wheels? Stem? Handlebar? ...
Old 09-03-17, 02:55 PM
ruudlaff

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Wheels? Stem? Handlebar? ...
Originally Posted by gl98115
Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant for razor sharp handling and all day comfort.
Sorry I did mean to specify the track ec90 handlebars, I'm assuming when you say vertically compliant you are talking about the road ones?
Old 09-03-17, 04:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

EC90s were the reference sprint bars go a long time. They are essentially carbon Nitto B123 in terms of shape.

Great bars. Only available in 38 and 40cm.
Old 09-03-17, 04:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

The knurling is an amazing texture. I rode them gloveless with no grips.
Old 09-03-17, 11:28 PM
ruudlaff

Originally Posted by carleton
EC90s were the reference sprint bars go a long time. They are essentially carbon Nitto B123 in terms of shape.

Great bars. Only available in 38 and 40cm.
That's great to hear, just found a pair second hand for £80 that I have pulled the trigger on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.