Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin map marker?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 09:19 PM
Kansey
Kansey

Bikes: Cannondales, alot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Garmin map marker?

Let's say you live in St.Louis for example. Youre familiar with many streets but you try new ones. Im looking for a app to highlight/mark down every route I ride on. I own a Fenix 6 Pro. I ride other cities in my county and want to see the streets I've ridden already to ride ones I haven't.
Thank y'all in advance
Old 04-19-22, 07:14 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You can use RideWithGPS for this. Pair your RWGPS account to your Germin Connect account. When you finish a ride and it uploads to your Garmin account it will also be sent to your RideWithGPS account, While viewing the map if in planning or edit mode there is a Heatmaps drop down select Personal Heatmap. If not in planning or edit mode under the Settings drop down select Personal Heatmap. This will show all your rides with a purple line. It will also get darker and wider so you can see which roads you ride more then others,

There is also a Global Heatmap that shows where others ride. It can help with planing a ride in an area you don't know.
Old 04-19-22, 07:27 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
I think the best tool for this is wandrer.earth which will show where you have been in a binary fashion, rather than with a heatmap. If you pay for a subscription, you can import all of your rides and activities on foot (with separate maps for both), and you can also create routes in Strava, RideWtihGPS, and Komoot which show how many new miles you'll get. You can also download a map layer for your Garmin (or a couple other brands) bike computer (I think it will work on your Fenix 6 Pro too) which will show where you haven't been in case you want to just wander around. I think that will be a bit difficult with the watch form-factor though.
Old 04-19-22, 10:25 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Now, ridewithgps shows a "heat map" of all riders or just my rides. I have the paid version of rwgps, does this show for the free version too?
But since I don't upload most ride recordings to ridewithgps, it seems to be including routes I've drawn. I have hundreds of routes going back many years.)

My Tourbook
For years, I've also been using the free My Tourbook. I upload batches of ride recordings to it, and have data going back to my Garmin 705 from 2010!
https://mytourbook.sourceforge.io/mytourbook/index.php
It has ride details and charts, monthly and yearly totals, and the maps of the routes.
I can select a range of times, and all those rides are plotted on the map. (This still will lock up if I try "too many" rides at once. I just tried two full years, 250 rides, it crashed the app, even on my new, fast PC. Launching the app again, it plotted 126 rides from one full year in about a minute. One or a few rides are fast to map.)

There's a bit of a learning curve to figure out how you want to display the data panels, but then it's easy to use. I like it.)
Old 04-19-22, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
If you are asking about this for when on the bike then a Garmin handheld or marine chart plotter, that might be somewhat easier as you can set the device to show previous tracks and at least on some you can change the color of that track. But for cycling and wrist worn devices I don't think you can do that well if at all.

If you are wanting to do this off the bike then RideWithGPS will let you do that very easily and you can make a route based on that to put on your device. I'm not sure if you need to be a paid member for the feature of showing heat maps limited to your activities. And that also might work with their phone app, but I don't use that for much other than ride review when away from home with no PC or Mac.

Otherwise, when I'm riding, if I don't remember a street, then it's just as good as I haven't done it before and I can make a decision then whether to take that street or not. Only need the app in my head.
Old 04-19-22, 01:50 PM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you are asking about this for when on the bike then a Garmin handheld or marine chart plotter, that might be somewhat easier as you can set the device to show previous tracks and at least on some you can change the color of that track. But for cycling and wrist worn devices I don't think you can do that well if at all.
You can do this with wandrer.earth with a subscription. You can add a map layer to show where you haven't gone before, highlighted in the color of your choice. Or you can show only where you have been, or both (in different colors).
Old 04-19-22, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by cuevélo
You can do this with wandrer.earth with a subscription. You can add a map layer to show where you haven't gone before, highlighted in the color of your choice. Or you can show only where you have been, or both (in different colors).
Yeah, I saw that in your prior post. Did you think I and others may have missed it?
Old 04-19-22, 02:21 PM
cuevélo

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yeah, I saw that in your prior post. Did you think I and others may have missed it?
When you said "But for cycling and wrist worn devices I don't think you can do that well if at all." I thought you may have missed it.
Old 04-19-22, 02:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by cuevélo
When you said "But for cycling and wrist worn devices I don't think you can do that well if at all." I thought you may have missed it.
No, I was talking about devices that allow you to see where you've been before without having to have a third party solution.
Old 04-22-22, 04:55 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mibike
You can use RideWithGPS for this. Pair your RWGPS account to your Germin Connect account. When you finish a ride and it uploads to your Garmin account it will also be sent to your RideWithGPS account, While viewing the map if in planning or edit mode there is a Heatmaps drop down select Personal Heatmap. If not in planning or edit mode under the Settings drop down select Personal Heatmap. This will show all your rides with a purple line. It will also get darker and wider so you can see which roads you ride more then others,

There is also a Global Heatmap that shows where others ride. It can help with planing a ride in an area you don't know.
Do you know how to make a map with turn by turn direction for the Garmin 830? I have used my phone with Ride with GPS and honestly like it. The Garmin I hate with a passion (brand new).

I would be happy to use anything that would get me turn by turn directions with the Garmin.
Old 04-22-22, 05:20 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Do you know how to make a map with turn by turn direction for the Garmin 830? I have used my phone with Ride with GPS and honestly like it. The Garmin I hate with a passion (brand new).

I would be happy to use anything that would get me turn by turn directions with the Garmin.
You can plan out a route on Garmin Connect on your home computer, and then just "Send To Device" (your 830) with Garmin Express.
Old 04-22-22, 06:17 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts

on ridewithgps: draw a route. save it, giving it a title.
View the route and click Export Fit File, to save the route as a .fit file.

There are ways to auto update routes to the 830. But the simplest upload method is this (which I use). Directions for Windows PCs:
connect the Garmin to your computer via USB.
wait for it to boot up. Now the Garmin shows up as a USB drive.
In the Downloads folder, copy the route .fit file
Navigate to the Garmin device, then down to folder Garmin --> NewFiles.
paste the .fit file into the NewFiles folder.

I right click the Garmin device and choose Eject. This might not be too critical anymore, but it's still a good idea.

unplug the Garmin, boot it up. The route shows up in Navigate --> Saved Courses.

It will warn you of turns when you are close, with a popup map, even if the routing map isn't displayed.
Old 04-22-22, 07:49 AM
mibike

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

If your pair your Garmin and RideWithGPS accounts and Pin a route it will transfer to your Garmin. Pin the route in RWGPS and the next time your Garmin syncs with Garmin Connect on your phone it will transfer. If a route is already pined unpin it and pin it again and it will transfer.
Old 04-22-22, 08:02 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts

Planning routes on the 830 is not great (but it's useful in an emergency). Most people plan routes using other programs/websites and downloading the route files to the 830.

So, you use RWGPS to plan routes and you use the RWGPS app on you phone to navigate?

It's easy to transfer routes in RWGPS to your 830 and have it show the turns. This is what RWGPS started out doing over ten years ago (before they had an app).

People above have mentioned some options.

You can also install apps on your 830 (like on a phone) to download routes form RWGPS direcly. RWGPS has its own app and the GRouteLoader app does the same thing (as well as other stuff).
By the way, you are making a "route" or a "course" (or even a "track"). The "map" is the image with all the roads (and you aren't making that).

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-22 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-22-22, 11:03 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You can plan out a route on Garmin Connect on your home computer, and then just "Send To Device" (your 830) with Garmin Express.

Thanks. In the end, I found I could take the routes I have in RidewithGPS export them and import them into the Garmin Connect map site and save that as a new route and export to my Garmin. That seems to work.

The upload and import page won't import the files for some reason.

Originally Posted by rm -rf
on ridewithgps: draw a route. save it, giving it a title.
View the route and click Export Fit File, to save the route as a .fit file.

There are ways to auto update routes to the 830. But the simplest upload method is this (which I use). Directions for Windows PCs:
connect the Garmin to your computer via USB.
wait for it to boot up. Now the Garmin shows up as a USB drive.
In the Downloads folder, copy the route .fit file
Navigate to the Garmin device, then down to folder Garmin --> NewFiles.
paste the .fit file into the NewFiles folder.

I right click the Garmin device and choose Eject. This might not be too critical anymore, but it's still a good idea.

unplug the Garmin, boot it up. The route shows up in Navigate --> Saved Courses.

It will warn you of turns when you are close, with a popup map, even if the routing map isn't displayed.
I tried this first but the route never showed up in the saved courses section. Not sure why. I even deleted all the other routes and it did not show up.

Originally Posted by mibike
If your pair your Garmin and RideWithGPS accounts and Pin a route it will transfer to your Garmin. Pin the route in RWGPS and the next time your Garmin syncs with Garmin Connect on your phone it will transfer. If a route is already pined unpin it and pin it again and it will transfer.
I ended up doing this as well and while the route would show up, it had no turn by turn directions.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
So, you use RWGPS to plan routes and you use the RWGPS app on you phone to navigate?

It's easy to transfer routes in RWGPS to your 830 and have it show the turns. This is what RWGPS started out doing over ten years ago (before they had an app).

People above have mentioned some options.

You can also install apps on your 830 (like on a phone) to download routes form RWGPS direcly. RWGPS has its own app and the GRouteLoader app does the same thing (as well as other stuff).
By the way, you are making a "route" or a "course" (or even a "track"). The "map" is the image with all the roads (and you aren't making that).
Thanks. I have the app on my Garmin and moved things into my saved courses, but it would not give me any turn directions, which I need for the gravel rides I do.

But from the help here, I think I have a workable solution.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-22, 11:17 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
I tried this first but the route never showed up in the saved courses section. Not sure why. I even deleted all the other routes and it did not show up.
There is probably a step you are missing. This is the "regular" way of getting courses/routes from RWGPS. It's been used for many years by many people.

Export the route as FIT and make sure you copy it to \Garmin\NewFiles.

I ended up doing this as well and while the route would show up, it had no turn by turn directions.
You have to be sure to enable "turn guidance". That's an option in the submenu of the saved courses list (the submenu is the three horizontal lines at the lower right).

Thanks. I have the app on my Garmin and moved things into my saved courses, but it would not give me any turn directions, which I need for the gravel rides I do.
Note that "turn guidance" (which displays as big white arrows) is calculated by the device. It might not work for "paths". You can also use "course points", which are added to the file by the route planning software (e.g., RWGPS). These are taken from the cuesheet items in RWGPS. For these, you'd need to enable "course points" in the settings for the course. "Course points" are a feature of FIT or TCX files.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-22 at 11:25 AM.
Likes For njkayaker: