Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Old 06-22-22, 03:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
There are PLENTY of choices, from budget to boutique - more choices now than we had back then.

All of my bikes are over 30 years old and I have had no trouble sourcing parts for any of them, whether that be a freewheel, rim brakes, derailleurs and shifters, square taper BBs and cranks, quill stems, you name it. In almost all categories, I think we have more choices now than at any other time.
This x 1000. Between eBay, Craigslist, Pinkbike, forum classifieds, and the hundreds of online shops, we are living in the golden age for retrogrouch and throwback riders and tinkerers. I suspect the available parts will diminish at a slower rate than their adherents.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-22-22, 04:27 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
There is nothing made in the last couple years that wouldn't be better than a 40yo cup and cone. The question is would you take that fairly good new BB and pair it with you ~$400 crank?
If that was all that was on offer, sure. An extreme price differential doesn't make a good part work any less well.

I have one wheelset with $30 rims and $90 tires. Works great.
Old 06-22-22, 04:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
FC-7200 is a fairly standard square-taper crank, you only "had to" use a forty-year-old part because you decided to use an exact period replacement. Most bikes in the 40-year-old range are still extremely well supported in the new-stock replacement part market.
I confess, with my C&V bikes, I value authenticity, so, yeah, I confine myself to the original spec as much as possible.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-22-22, 04:46 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Really drifting into "Why, when I were a lad, we had to walk 10 miles to school every day! Uphill both ways!" territory.
They had to walk because they didn’t know how to do a hill-start in a stick shift.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-23-22, 03:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking
Not to belabor the point (but I guess I am), but I think the worship of science as objective is misplaced. One of the most famous books on the theory of science by Thomas Kuhn is The Structure of Scientific Revolutons. Here's a description of his argument:
"the notion of scientific truth, at any given moment, cannot be established solely by objective criteria but is defined by a consensus of a scientific community. Competing paradigms are frequently incommensurable; that is, they are competing and irreconcilable accounts of reality. Thus, our comprehension of science can never rely wholly upon "objectivity" alone. Science must account for subjective perspectives as well, since all objective conclusions are ultimately founded upon the subjective conditioning/worldview of its researchers and participants."
So our idea of what is objectively valuable is occasioned by our, subjective, world view. I think I would argue that our world view includes the idea that change is progress, that complexity is better than simplicity, that world history is a linear road of everything getting better. These are subjective notions that seem like objective truth to those steeped in our world view.

In the world of cycling, the latest invention is the e-bike. Is that objective progress that everyone should now embrace, just like disc brakes? What if they invent a way to shift gears with a simple mental act with no physical movement; would that be objective progress with all previous gear-shifting mechanisms relegated to the category of nostalgia? To claim that the latest invention is objectively better seems like a rhetorical way to impose one's values on everyone else. To say that everyone else is motivated merely by nostalgia is patronizing.

E-bikes are a separate entity and so totally irrelevant to your argument.
I don't really see the point in mind-activated gear shifting. That sounds like much harder work than pressing an electronic brifter button, especially when you are deep in the red and struggling to think of literally anything at all. It would not seem like objective progress to me, so I don't get that argument either.

Really this just comes down to you being paranoid about modern science and technology. Science and nostalgia are not mutually exclusive. For example I own both modern and classic cars. The latter has a manual clutched gearbox that objectively speaking is complete garbage compared to a modern electronic sequential box (or even a modern manual box for that matter). I was going to say it's still fun to drive, but actually it's the worst thing about that particular car!

Anyway when it comes to rim brakes I have no sentiment for their demise. I'm more than happy for all my bikes to have disc brakes and made that choice out of a strong preference anyway.
Old 06-23-22, 04:04 AM
PeteHski

So our idea of what is objectively valuable is occasioned by our, subjective, world view. I think I would argue that our world view includes the idea that change is progress, that complexity is better than simplicity, that world history is a linear road of everything getting better. These are subjective notions that seem like objective truth to those steeped in our world view.
So basically are you saying above that the modern S-works appears to be objectively better than a 1920s bike only because of our conditioned world view?

I would argue that in reality many people in the modern world (probably the majority of people over 65) are conditioned to be scared of change and technological progress. This very thread provides ample evidence, lol.
Old 06-23-22, 05:44 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Dia Compe still makes all kinds. Cheaper than the Big Blue S and they work. You can find them on the A-zon.

BRS100 | Diacompe
Old 06-23-22, 06:18 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat

Old 06-23-22, 06:24 AM
seypat

I don't have any problems with it. Try this one to the home page.

Diacompe
Old 06-23-22, 06:28 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

I don't have any problems with it. Try this one to the home page.

Diacompe
Nope. Not even in Tor.

Old 06-23-22, 06:30 AM
seypat

Here's a listing on the Zon. at least you can see what they look like.

https://www.amazon.com/Dia-Compe-BRS.../dp/B0041X3I4C
Old 06-23-22, 06:33 AM
seypat

Mounted on a bike.

Likes For seypat:
Old 06-23-22, 06:37 AM
seypat

Speaking of old technology that is no longer relevant, this ancient piece of machinery rolled by me yesterday. That's an antique plate, so probably no repro. 427 baby!

Old 06-23-22, 06:43 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Here's a listing on the Zon. at least you can see what they look like.

https://www.amazon.com/Dia-Compe-BRS.../dp/B0041X3I4C
Oh, yeah, I remember these particular ones now; I think I have them in a wish list somewhere... I put them there because one idea I have for my old steel Raleigh is to refinish the frame in British racing green and swap out everything for black.
Old 06-23-22, 06:47 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Oh, yeah, I remember these particular ones now; I think I have them in a wish list somewhere... I put them there because one idea I have for my old steel Raleigh is to refinish the frame in British racing green and swap out everything for black.
If you can get to the other site, they have multiple color options. Red, green, gold, blue, etc.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-23-22, 08:54 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So basically are you saying above that the modern S-works appears to be objectively better than a 1920s bike only because of our conditioned world view?

A

I would argue that in reality many people in the modern world (probably the majority of people over 65) are conditioned to be scared of change and technological progress. This very thread provides ample evidence, lol.
I am saying that every human has been and is embedded is a world view; these paradigms are different for different times and places. A person is not capable of completely escaping his/her culture's world view; it takes effort to step out of this world view and it's never entirely possible. Our culture is imbued with the idea of progress, the idea that human history is one of constant progress toward a better and better future, that the past is merely a stepping stone to the great age we live in, that we must continue to make changes in the name of progress. And, progress means advances in ease and comfort: pushing a button to shift gears, barely needing to squeeze the brake lever; maybe bicycle automatic transmissions will be the next big thing.

These ideas seem second nature to us, but it doesn't take a lot of anthropological research to find cultures who see things differently. Many peoples have seen history as cyclical rather than as linear progress; they see the human condition as constant rather than advancing. And really if we look at it, sometimes it seems like for every step forward our world takes, our world takes two steps back; like the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Anyway, if we step back a minute from this reverence for progress, we might have a little more understanding of people who see the Raleigh bike as simpler, more lively, more fun than the newest jet age carbon bikes. Your linear list of pictures implies that every bike except the last one must be relegated to a past age and is irrelevant today. The only people who would like such bikes are scared of change; and people especially paranoid about change are over 65. Leaving aside your obvious patronizing of anyone who disagrees with you, I might suggest that people over 65 have lived long enough to see the ups and downs of the history and technology of the last century and are a little skeptical that our world--and the bicycle--are getting better and better. It's possible they enjoy more what they have instead of restlessly becoming dissatisfied and trying to move into some chimeric golden future.
Likes For bocobiking:
Old 06-23-22, 09:58 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I am saying that every human has been and is embedded is a world view; these paradigms are different for different times and places. A person is not capable of completely escaping his/her culture's world view; it takes effort to step out of this world view and it's never entirely possible. Our culture is imbued with the idea of progress, the idea that human history is one of constant progress toward a better and better future, that the past is merely a stepping stone to the great age we live in, that we must continue to make changes in the name of progress. And, progress means advances in ease and comfort: pushing a button to shift gears, barely needing to squeeze the brake lever; maybe bicycle automatic transmissions will be the next big thing.

These ideas seem second nature to us, but it doesn't take a lot of anthropological research to find cultures who see things differently. Many peoples have seen history as cyclical rather than as linear progress; they see the human condition as constant rather than advancing. And really if we look at it, sometimes it seems like for every step forward our world takes, our world takes two steps back; like the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Anyway, if we step back a minute from this reverence for progress, we might have a little more understanding of people who see the Raleigh bike as simpler, more lively, more fun than the newest jet age carbon bikes. Your linear list of pictures implies that every bike except the last one must be relegated to a past age and is irrelevant today. The only people who would like such bikes are scared of change; and people especially paranoid about change are over 65. Leaving aside your obvious patronizing of anyone who disagrees with you, I might suggest that people over 65 have lived long enough to see the ups and downs of the history and technology of the last century and are a little skeptical that our world--and the bicycle--are getting better and better. It's possible they enjoy more what they have instead of restlessly becoming dissatisfied and trying to move into some chimeric golden future.
Easy, now! My chamois is going to smell like a BBQ joint with all the smoke you're blowin'.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-23-22, 10:11 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Speaking of old technology that is no longer relevant, this ancient piece of machinery rolled by me yesterday. That's an antique plate, so probably no repro. 427 baby!

You can get antique plates for cars over 25 years in most states. I would lay good money that was not an original, 1960's Shelby AC Cobra
Old 06-23-22, 11:08 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
You can get antique plates for cars over 25 years in most states. I would lay good money that was not an original, 1960's Shelby AC Cobra
Nor is it particularly fast by modern standards.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-23-22, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
As a qualified steam locomotive fireman, I may be one of the few here who gets this reference...

So many time travel questions....

Old 06-23-22, 11:26 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Easy, now! My chamois is going to smell like a BBQ joint with all the smoke you're blowin'.

Sorry. Too much time on my hands and people pushing my buttons. I will sign off . . . and yield to the juggernaut of progress.
Old 06-23-22, 03:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts

From a pure performance perspective, the latest iteration is hands down a better bicycle. Regardless of one's life experience thinking that the consistent gradual evolution of performance bicycle technology will somehow slip backwards and abandon, carbon fibre, brifters, index shifting, tubeless clinchers, 12-speed drivetrains, sealed cartridge bearings and yes disc brakes is ridiculous. These new technologies can and are being enjoyed by riders of all ages.
Old 06-23-22, 05:03 PM
PeteHski

Leaving aside your obvious patronizing of anyone who disagrees with you
That's rich coming from you.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-23-22, 05:20 PM
PeteHski

This is entirely YOUR implication, not mine. I've already explained to you that I enjoy both old and new things. They are not mutually exclusive in my view. I also fully understand the big picture i.e. civilisations and their technological progress tend to rise and fall in the long term. We just happen to live in an age of rapidly accelerating technology, totally unprecedented in the entire history of the world. But to talk about the evolution of bicycle rim to disc brakes on this scale is frankly absurd.

So anyway now you are saying that once I reach the age of 65 I need to stop looking forward to new things and enjoy what I have? Am I not allowed to do both?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-23-22, 05:39 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts

Yeah, I too miss the good ole days living in our good ole caves

Last edited by Eds0123; 06-23-22 at 09:04 PM.
Likes For Eds0123:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.