Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

tour de france 2022-straight...no fantasy chaser

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 06-26-22, 11:02 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

this is the 2022 tour de france thread for all things le grande boucle-except for those tawdry, fantasy cycling related things. keep that dirty, fantasy laundry in the other, applicable hamper...er...thread. race starts on july 1st!!
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-26-22, 10:29 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 60 Posts
It's so mean and thoughtless that Cav isn't there. He's riding good too. Glad Alaphilippe is back. Hoping Powless has a good tour. Looks like Pinot is back on form. Can't wait for it to start!!
Old 06-27-22, 07:43 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by semroc
It's so mean and thoughtless that Cav isn't there. He's riding good too. Glad Alaphilippe is back. Hoping Powless has a good tour. Looks like Pinot is back on form. Can't wait for it to start!!
Alaphilippe is not back.

Jakobsen doesn't think the Cav thing is so mean and thoughtless. Neither does Lefevre. I wondered if he might drop Cattaneo and forego the futile GC ambition for a bipolar sprint approach. But he did not.
Old 06-27-22, 10:21 AM
semroc

Oh dang, I thought for sure Alaphilipe would be there after riding in French Championship. My bad.
Yes, I'm sure Jakobsen and Lefevre do not think it's mean and thoughtless.

Last edited by semroc; 06-27-22 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-27-22, 11:13 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
If Cav wanted to ride, he'd have to do what Chris Froome did.
Old 06-27-22, 11:18 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4829 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Is there any expectation that it won't be a Slovenian show-down?
Old 06-27-22, 01:05 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
If Cav wanted to ride, he'd have to do what Chris Froome did.
He will.

Wait. He's already crashed a couple of times and come down with an unusual illness, just like Froomey. We're talking about switching teams for next year, right?

BTW, that sort of solves the Cav as an Assistant DS thing for Lefevre, too.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 06-28-22, 12:00 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

really hoping the whole endeavor can avoid the pandemic-related abandons that plagued the recent tour de suisse.
Old 06-28-22, 12:08 PM
diphthong

Originally Posted by Eric F
Is there any expectation that it won't be a Slovenian show-down?
the two top faves would lead you to believe it's already determined but there are plenty of podium-quality riders like vingegaard, yatesie, gthomas,
vlasov, mas, bardet, uran, pinot, caruso, dani martinez, woods and schachmann that could be in contention if pogacar or roglic abandon.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-28-22, 10:36 PM
diphthong

regardless of what happens in denmark/france in the next few weeks...already looking forwards to la vuelta.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 06-29-22, 09:17 AM
semroc

Too bad Declerq is out. I like watching The Tractor on the front of the peloton. Hope he recovers well. Thought that might open the door for Cav, but they went with Senechal. Hope Van Aerts knee is good to go.
Likes For semroc:
Old 06-29-22, 11:51 AM
goose70

Bikes: '19 Cannondale Evo, '12 Guru Flite; '10 CAAD9, Trek MTB

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Over and over, pro cycling shows how indifferent it is about the wishes of its fans and, by extension, sponsors. Cav is riding very well and would be extra motivated for The Tour. He had a chance to beat E.M.'s record. What a compelling storyline to bring in more viewers. No wonder UCI pro cycling remains on life support year after year.
Likes For goose70:
Old 06-29-22, 01:07 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by goose70
Over and over, pro cycling shows how indifferent it is about the wishes of its fans and, by extension, sponsors. Cav is riding very well and would be extra motivated for The Tour. He had a chance to beat E.M.'s record. What a compelling storyline to bring in more viewers. No wonder UCI pro cycling remains on life support year after year.
The schizophrenia of the revenue streams across race organizers, UCI, and teams means that the guy making the Cav / No Cav decision has very little incentive from viewership.
Old 06-30-22, 12:18 AM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
A few random things I'll be looking for:

AG2R: If everyone is in form and avoids misfortune, 4th place is really the best anyone else can hope for, so it's hard to see how O'Connor can improve on his result last year. Still, that's a big if, and it will surely be interesting to see if he can best everyone else even if everyone stays healthy. He looked good in the Dauphine. But if he was a bit opportunistic last year, as a serious contender he now has pressure and has to take initiative. Curious to see how he handles that.

AD: Philipsen is younger and has more GT experience; 2 months ago it wasn't clear that MvDP was going to finish the Giro. I suspect that was why Philipsen got the nod for the Tour and MvDP the Giro. But while Philipsen is a beast on his day, he's no MvDP. There are a number of reasons for tapping one rider to be team leader and surely Philipsen can deliver, but strictly from a results POV, I wonder if AD aren't backing the wrong horse here.

Bora: much the same questions for Vlasov as for O'Connor.

EF: they've been mighty picky and choosy for a team facing the drop, so they must be desperate for stage wins and good GC placings, so looking for them to liven up the race.

Israel: see EF, though recently not nearly as choosy.

IWG: they were stepping up in the Giro, but without Girmay as their core can they do the same here? Wouldn't mind seeing Kristoff bag a stage here.

JV: really impressive run-in to the Tour, but several questions remain. Are there too many chiefs, not enough Indians for an assault on Green as well as Yellow? The Calais and especially Arenberg stages are interesting. These clearly have van Aert written all over them (at least from a JV perspective) and he'll get the protection. Who'll be tasked to protect Roglic and Vingegaard in those stages, since WvA will surely get help against Alpecin, Quick-Step, Groenewegen and Matthews on a desperate BEX squad, maybe even UAE as Pogacar on the hills and cobbles is WvA/MvDP level while Roglic and Vingegaard are not (or they haven't shown that they are, to be more precise). Pogacar won't be targeting that stage but he will want to stay of trouble up front, and sometimes he just goes for the hell of it. Pogacar, Roglic and Vingegaard on the one hand and the relegation fight on the other mean that a number of squads will be frantic for stage wins and good GC placings, making the fight for green particularly competitive. But JV only has so many riders to help WvA. Also, Roglic is likely the stronger in the first week so will probably get the early nod over Vingegaard (and may even be stronger in the mountains, but he does have that end-of-GT question hanging over him). If Vingegaard proves stronger in the mountains will he be held back to protect Roglic until Roglic either succeeds or it's too late to make a difference? JV may be the most interesting team in the race.

Lotto: another squad fighting to stay up. Ewan is seriously quick, obviously, but in his last 2 GTs he's crashed by running into the guy in front of him. Also, that doesn't look like a very healthy squad: in the Giro, they left their team leader high and dry to limp home dead last without any help on one stage, a stage they didn't come close to winning.

UAE: Pogacar must be the heavy favorite, but he still has to answer the question can he handle heat in the high mountains. Everyone looks to last year at Mont Ventoux to find a weakness (grnated he was 5'+ at that point and didn't lose any time) and it promises to be a hot one. If he can, and can avoid Covid/crashes, whatnot, 3 on the trot does look likely. He can gain time on the GC contenders that first week, though it's not clear he will.
Old 07-01-22, 09:50 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
regardless of what happens in denmark/france in the next few weeks...already looking forwards to la vuelta.
I hope they put in Girmay!

Too bad Declerq is out. I like watching The Tractor on the front of the peloton. Hope he recovers well. Thought that might open the door for Cav, but they went with Senechal. Hope Van Aerts knee is good to go.
Oh same here on Declerq but at least the French national champion got a spot.

Lol it's raining on today's stage!? Pog!!?? Pog's incredible. Posting now before seeing how Ùran will finish. Didn't put him on the fantasy team because I don't want any of my bad juju on him.
Old 07-02-22, 05:50 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Is it me or was the bridge stage on stage 2 very dangerous especially with that crash? All it would take is a crash and someone going over that small barrier, and almost certainly dying falling in the ocean from the height of the bridge.
Likes For gpsblake:
Old 07-02-22, 10:17 PM
GrainBrain

Ewan can't catch a break can he?
Old 07-03-22, 05:32 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by gpsblake
Is it me or was the bridge stage on stage 2 very dangerous especially with that crash? All it would take is a crash and someone going over that small barrier, and almost certainly dying falling in the ocean from the height of the bridge.
I don't think so. Look at the barriers in the pic here. Not easy to go over or through.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/exp...our-de-france/

Since this is the "no fantasy" thread, it may be inappropriate to observe that in both Christian Prudhomme's and my fantasies there were ripping crosswinds and devastation of other sorts on the bridge. But not any plummeting.
Old 07-03-22, 06:10 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Ewan can't catch a break can he?
He did seem a little bullied.

Wonder if Kung gets dinged for grabbing that EF riders helmet. Edit so fine and docked uci points.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er

Last edited by Shadco; 07-03-22 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-03-22, 08:37 AM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by sincos
A few random things I'll be looking for:

EF: they've been mighty picky and choosy for a team facing the drop, so they must be desperate for stage wins and good GC placings, so looking for them to liven up the race.

Lotto: another squad fighting to stay up. Ewan is seriously quick, obviously, but in his last 2 GTs he's crashed by running into the guy in front of him. Also, that doesn't look like a very healthy squad: in the Giro, they left their team leader high and dry to limp home dead last without any help on one stage, a stage they didn't come close to winning.
Magnus Cort looks to be having the time of his life right now huh? Crowds just screaming his name on home roads, going for the first KOM points and jersey. So special - great advertising for the sponsor's.

Great to see all the pats on his back as he was re-absorbed after his solo breakaway just now.

I would kind of like to see Powless all in for GC placing and Rigo get a stage win -- probably the reverse of how they'll do it eventually. Though Rigo had a lack luster TT with Powless being 32s from Primoz so maybe?

Yeah I can't believe how little support Ewan receives? Can you imagine him with a half decent train? The Giro he was abit over shadowed by degendt (understandably) but here he looks to be number one for the team, right?
Old 07-03-22, 04:45 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Poor Caleb, the boys keep picking on him. Doesn’t seem to have a lot of McEwen in him.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 07-04-22, 07:06 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
Fabio also has a huge following where there are more cyclists than American and English fans. Cav is my cycling hero as a sprinter but...

Cav is riding well, yes, but he is not the fastest this year in his team. Fabio is. Fabio has earned his place. He has proven himself and how selfish are we to deny him his opportunity? This isn't about favouritism and armchair expertise, this is about the very livelihood of professionals at stake and the better chances for success for the team. Fabio has the chance to make his mark, to establish himself in the greatest race, it will have a massive impact on him personally and his family and fans if he can realise his dreams the way Cav did when he was emerging. Hw wanted this, he has earned this. Over to him to prove himself.

Also, Eddies record in this regard is nothing compared to his overall Palmares - it would be embarrassing for any fans and Cav, to make anything out of that record other than a stat should he one day take it. He was given the opportunity last year, and this year, he knew Fabio was in the mix given he is Quick Step's immediate future for the no.1 sprinter and Cav hasn't produced the same number of wins. The choice to send Fabio was logical - and his comeback from a serious injury is a fairy-tale the Sponsors are lapping up.

I'm a huge cycling fan as are all my racing friends and much of my family; none deny Fabio his shot. The choice not to take Cav doesn't diminish the sport in any way. He is a legend, his sprinting palmare's second-to-none, but he is in the twilight of his career, despite his own resurgence and he is no.2 in a very strong team at the moment.

Old 07-04-22, 05:22 PM
GrainBrain

Thinking it should be an entertaining stage tomorrow -- most certainly a bunch sprint considering you have MvdP, Wout, Sagan + more in the mix. Or are they looking ahead to stage five cobbles? I think Ewan is very capable of making it to the line in the bunch? Maybe Groenewegen will make it over that final climb?
Hoping it's a powerful breakaway to catch.
Old 07-04-22, 10:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Sagan hasn't made it to the podium as yet, but he is much more of a factor than I expected.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 07-04-22, 10:42 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Magnus Cort looks to be having the time of his life right now huh? Crowds just screaming his name on home roads, going for the first KOM points and jersey. So special - great advertising for the sponsor's.
That was a fantastic reception he got. The polka dot shirt and hat are a perfect match for that cartoon candy paint job too (not surprising, maybe, given the shirt's origins). Speaking of strips, that aqua on red thing on Lotto is painful on the eyes. Though not as bad as JV's dog vomit.

Yeah I can't believe how little support Ewan receives? Can you imagine him with a half decent train? The Giro he was abit over shadowed by degendt (understandably) but here he looks to be number one for the team, right?
Another one who'd have bagged a stage by now if he had a decent leadout is Sagan. Good to see him back. And really hinky move from WvA to cut him off like that.

But the next couple look more like MvdP stages, maybe Philipsen or Asgreen. Or, on the outside, Kristoff or Walscheid. Wonder how hard JV will push, given their multiple priorities. And expect B&B and Arkea in the early break, now that they're back in France, particularly NW France..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.