Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Vintage Touring bikes

Old 09-12-07, 12:34 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
The seatpost was cheap ($15) at the LBS to get it up and running. The stem was pulled out of my local co-op and work well for CX use.
Old 09-12-07, 01:28 PM
Lamplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I was so excited when I sw this thread. I'm currently building a 80's nishiki cresta with mostly suntour parts. The pics were taken when it was built up an a SS CX bike but I just couldn't bring myself to take it off road. Currently, it has a suntour topmount shifter and FD, a shimano 600 RD and stck diacomp cantis. I'm still looking for a wheel set (if anyone has a freewheel clincher wheel set PM me).
That's a great looking Nishiki. I noticed it right away because it's one of the few I've seen with the same decals as my Prestige.
Old 09-12-07, 01:33 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Any idea on the year? I bought it at the local co-op so there was no history with it.
Old 09-12-07, 02:22 PM
Lamplight

Any idea on the year? I bought it at the local co-op so there was no history with it.
I started a thread about mine and, thanks to T-mar, concluded it's an '85. I would imagine your's is similar but if any of your components are original you could probably date those. My brakes and stem had '85 stamped on them.
Old 09-12-07, 02:39 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

I think the brakes are original but that was all that was on it when I bought it. Maybe I'll start a thread with the sn#. I found a NOS superb RD locally that I may pick up for it to match the topmount shifter (with the trimming feature).
Old 09-12-07, 06:49 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tenordl
About the original parts on the Chemineau - almost all are original. The rear hub was changed in the 70's, the spokes have been replaced, also. The freewheel, chainrings, and chain were replaced at about the same time, the fenders are new, and the saddle is an exact replacement of the original that I found on eBay. The bike has never been repainted.

David L
David, you own a seriously beautiful bicycle.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 09-13-07, 02:46 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Anyone know a good source for front and rear racks? I've been to rivendell but I just don't have much to drop right now.
Old 09-13-07, 03:12 PM
Lamplight

Anyone know a good source for front and rear racks? I've been to rivendell but I just don't have much to drop right now.
Wallingford Bicycle has Jandd racks. They're not as expensive but they look to be pretty good. I thought they came in silver too, but I don't see that on there.

https://www.wallbike.com/jandd/touringgear.html
Old 10-02-07, 03:50 PM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's something I bet you never seen before:

Questions?

Viscount.
Old 10-02-07, 03:56 PM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And here is the original owner riding it in a display at the Royal Albert Hall, London, in 1964/5

Johnny Kay of Rawtenstall. Proper lightweight classic?

Viscount.
Old 10-02-07, 07:57 PM
Tequila Joe
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mint 1972ish Falcon Olympic. It gathered dust in someones basement for 30+ years before it came to me.

PB fenders, more comfy seat, rack and panniers for touring.
Old 10-03-07, 03:39 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Okay, I confess, this is neither a photo of me nor my bike.

However these three Englishmen cycled around the world on their quite modern looking touring bikes from 1897 to 1899. Notice the rear luggage racks, sensibly wide tires, plenty of custom bags, and the nice relaxed geometry of the bikes. Our concept of properly paved roads did not exist, at best one would find cobblestones and at worst they would struggle to drag their bikes through roads which had become mud to above the ankles. The bikes often crossed over rough fields and they encountered the same punctures to their pneumatic tires we all still dread. Nevertheless, the bikes held up just fine. And the riders returned to London healthy - although a bit disappointed there were no crowds waiting to greet them.

Old 10-03-07, 04:51 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a great photo and I love the bikes Looks to me like they geared their bicycles pretty low for the trip which makes sense really.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 10-03-07, 07:11 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. Did they keep a journal of any kind? It'd be an interesting read...
Old 10-03-07, 06:32 PM
Lamplight

Ok, I have to post an updated photo of my Univega since it's changed a bit since the first picture. Actually, it's changed since this photo too. The brass bell has been replaced with aluminum, the bar tape is now shellaced cloth, and it has Suntour derailleurs back on it (Thanks Noah Scape!)

Likes For Lamplight:
Old 10-03-07, 06:48 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My word that's really classic What mudguards are those that you're using on your bike?
Old 10-03-07, 07:10 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Old 10-04-07, 02:16 PM
Lamplight

Originally Posted by Sianelle
My word that's really classic What mudguards are those that you're using on your bike?
Thanks. They are 43mm Honjo fenders I bought from Velo Orange. Pain to install, but I like them.

Nice Schwinn Mazdaspeed!
Old 11-09-07, 01:31 PM
harrier

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Leigh30, if you still have the front and read cable stops from your centerpull brakes, I would love to buy them. I think I read above that you were going to cantilever.
Old 11-09-07, 02:25 PM
tuz

Bikes: Eight homemade, three very dusty

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Kinda vintage, late 80's with mostly XT, gipiemme cranks, Sachs ergo shifters and self energizing rear brake. It's a Marinoni.

Last edited by tuz; 11-09-07 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 02:55 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by harrier
Leigh30, if you still have the front and read cable stops from your centerpull brakes, I would love to buy them. I think I read above that you were going to cantilever.
The bike originally had Dia Compe CANTIS. I have changed them up for original Shimano XT CANTIS, but used the rest of the original hardware, including the cable stops...
Old 11-09-07, 03:42 PM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine- a 1989 [I think] Dawes Galaxy with Rear rack, Brooks B-17, Weinmann Centerpull brakes, 531 Frame and forks, and mudguards for the winter.

Pics are HERE

Jack
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/

Last edited by 04jtb; 11-09-07 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-09-07, 06:09 PM
Lamplight

Love the Dawes! It's cool when road-ish bikes have mud on the tires.
Old 11-09-07, 08:11 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
You can get these old Jim Blackburns on eBay for around $20 plus shipping. I just picked up a couple at a bike swap for $10 each. There's a matching front rack. I have two of those. They're very sturdy and they polish up real nice with steel wool. I think the one in the picture is the one I bought in the late seventies for my Peugeot.

Old 11-10-07, 01:38 AM
04jtb

Bikes: 1983 Dawes Galaxy, 2006 Raleigh Airlite, 1982 Sun Solo (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
Love the Dawes! It's cool when road-ish bikes have mud on the tires.
haha thanks, its not too bad offroad
i jam my thumbs up and back into the tubes. this way i can point my fingers straight out in front to split the wind and attain an even more aero profile, and the usual fixed gear - zen - connectedness feeling through the drivetrain is multiplied ten fold because my thumbs become one with the tubing.
A group for all Dawes Galaxy owners to give and recieve information about them
https://flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.