Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

My favorite exercise machine is...

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-22, 07:53 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Of all the weight or exercise workouts I've tried over the years the best exercise/weight machine is the "Glute". Typically I perform 2 sets of 40 reps at 100 lbs for each leg. At the end of each leg's 40 reps my quads are burning and I can't walk a normal gait for a few minutes. The glutes also get a really good workout. There are other quad exercises but this machine does a better job for me of replicating the "pushing" action of the pedal stroke. Great compliment to cycling specific weight training. During Covid when I didn't have this machine available my strength was affected and it was noticeable riding. I believe this exercise is a key reason I do better at hills than most riders, even younger riders. I'm a 71 year old male.
What is you're favorite exercise machine and/or weight training activity?

Glute exercise machiner

Last edited by tobey; 10-16-22 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 10-16-22, 08:05 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Barbell is best. Soo many different lifts to do.
Old 10-16-22, 08:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Barbell in a proper squat rack. I really missed it during the Covid time when I was afraid to go to the gym. I've just started back with it and wow am I weak.
Old 10-17-22, 07:10 AM
tobey

I've certainly done that too but not nearly as effective as the Glute exercise requiring you to push. Much closer to a pedal push then barbell IMO.
Old 10-17-22, 07:16 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I spend time on my Waterrower every day.
Old 10-17-22, 08:26 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Rotary multi-hip station.

Old injuries, so keeping the hip-attached muscles strong is vital. (Flexors, extensors, groin, glutes.) Over the past 40yrs, I've found this to be one of the most-effective stations I can use.

Something like this.

Matrix Aura rotary hip:

https://www.matrixfitness.com/us/eng...s76-rotary-hip

Cybex Galileo rotary hip:

Combined with decent compound-muscle floor exercises, I find it's a good combination for those muscles.

Of course, there are lots of other "traditional" exercises that beat just a station or two, for their proven utility. But this sort of station is indispensable to me, given the ways in which I need to move and strengthen the damaged muscles.
Old 10-17-22, 12:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Barbell and squat rack. Squats and deads make you faster and lower, but, most importantly, stress the aging bones and address the imbalances and weaknesses that develop on the bike.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-17-22, 12:50 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Barbell in a proper squat rack. I really missed it during the Covid time when I was afraid to go to the gym. I've just started back with it and wow am I weak.
The independent adjustable stands are surprisingly effective for home use. Cheaper and take up less space than a full cage. Tho yesterday I bought 2x 45lb and 2x 2.5lb olympic plates from dicks for $180 soo it's not exactly cheap these days....thankfully I had a $120 credit I've been wanting to use.
Old 10-17-22, 12:50 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Total Gym
Old 10-17-22, 02:40 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
The best exercise machine is no exercise machine. Compound moves with free weights always better. Or dynamic movements with e.g. a kettlebell for functional strength also better. Unless of course you want to just gain muscle size then some machines/equipment pieces may work very well for that goal.

ps not sure where to ask, but how come I cannot do a quick reply anymore?
Old 10-17-22, 02:57 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
The independent adjustable stands are surprisingly effective for home use. Cheaper and take up less space than a full cage. Tho yesterday I bought 2x 45lb and 2x 2.5lb olympic plates from dicks for $180 soo it's not exactly cheap these days....thankfully I had a $120 credit I've been wanting to use.
True, but they don't protect you from injury if you F up or fail or get faint or . . . There are some not-so-funny YT videos of that out there. Safety is #1 for me, so I have a gym membership - free because I'm a geezer. Yeah, iron is expensive. Unfortunately the gym I'm using now only has Smith machines, which I hate. I suspect they have them instead of racks because this is an "everyone welcome" gym, no screamers allowed, and it's impossible to F up with a Smith machine.
Old 10-17-22, 05:24 PM
tobey

That is what I thought too until I used the Glute machine. Your point is a good one though since I do free weights as well.
Old 10-17-22, 06:12 PM
Caesium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Oh man how did I almost forget that existed... Used to be one of my favorites at the gym. I miss the cable machines too.. they were just enjoyable. Slowly piecing together my own minimal home gym over the covid years has pushed me into more free weight things, and finally got to where I can balance on squats properly, but I do still miss that and a few other things from the gym. The reverse fly thing for upper back.. one thing I haven't managed to duplicate very close at home...
Old 10-17-22, 06:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
bicycle

but at the gym, I use the circuit training stations, 14, I think? plus an assisted pullup machine, outside the circuit. I think the pullup machine feels the best. I used to do pullups un-assisted, but haven't for a cpl years. might be nice to get back to that but I need to lose some weight

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-18-22 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-17-22, 07:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey
What is you're favorite exercise machine and/or weight training activity?
The best machine for improving cycling performance is a bicycle...Strength training is only for preserving muscle and bone density. I don't like gym machines. I prefer a barbell, kettlebells, bodyweight exercises and hard physical labor for strength training workouts.
Old 10-18-22, 01:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
I like this topic - different spin on strength training. This is the time of year for strength and preparation for the upcoming event season.

I like the low row TechnoGym machine. It fits me and the exercise movement is smooth and feels good. The arms are individually controlled and weight selection via a pin. Weight increments of 5 pounds. I could do rowing with dumb bells or other machines but this one is the best.

For legs, I like the seated leg press with the ability to change weights via a pin versus racking weights. And some of the leg press machines where weigh is added to each side does not feel that great.

For core work, I have not found a machine that I like.
Old 10-18-22, 01:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Hermes
my Gold's Gym has one that looks like this. it's pretty comfy & easy to adjust Precor Resolute Series Abdominal Crunch
Old 10-18-22, 02:46 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't think ski bindings can count as a machine, but if there's any poetic license that's the obvious answer. Bike next. I prefer free weights over machines because of how it forces your balance, but exercising is better than not and this isn't a terribly important distinction.
Old 10-18-22, 09:32 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I like this topic - different spin on strength training. This is the time of year for strength and preparation for the upcoming event season.

I like the low row TechnoGym machine. It fits me and the exercise movement is smooth and feels good. The arms are individually controlled and weight selection via a pin. Weight increments of 5 pounds. I could do rowing with dumb bells or other machines but this one is the best.

For legs, I like the seated leg press with the ability to change weights via a pin versus racking weights. And some of the leg press machines where weigh is added to each side does not feel that great.

I use this for lower back, where I think most riders get sore:
I set the machine up for max leg bend + max range of motion.

For abs/hip flexors, I don't think there anything better for cycling than the Roman chair:
Not a machine, just equipment. The important thing is to start each rep with the legs stationary, not swinging. When I do the knee raises, I only do them to failure, which for me is failure to raise my knees above my hands. I like full range of motion work.
Old 10-19-22, 11:09 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
For abs/hip flexors, I don't think there anything better for cycling than the Roman chair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZtQsm0ySA
Not a machine, just equipment. The important thing is to start each rep with the legs stationary, not swinging. When I do the knee raises, I only do them to failure, which for me is failure to raise my knees above my hands. I like full range of motion work.
since my shoulder injury, I'm more sensitive to places where I can reduce shoulder stress. I used to use that. really enjoyed it. also used it for dips. but for abs, I think it puts undue stress on the shoulders. similarly a bench press chest fly done on a bench stresses the shoulder by not supporting the shoulders. a better chest fly can be had on an upright seated chest fly station
Old 10-20-22, 04:38 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I like the low row TechnoGym machine.

Stations like the TechnoGym "low row" can be used for some core engagement as well. As well as the complementary chest press type machine that's designed in a similar format. Just don't use the back or chest support while doing the movement. It'll limit the amount of weight one is capable of moving, without that support, sure. But such devices can be used with a handful of sets for the purpose of the row or the pecs, but with a separate handful of sets specifically for engagement of the core.

Myself, I've got really damaged flexor/groin muscles that preclude the use of much equipment such as the Roman Chair, or leg-raise, or typical ab/crunch stations. But I can use cable cross stations, or things like the TechnoGym "low row", in a manner that engages the core. Perhaps isn't ideal, but it does work.

For abs, one can even lie down on the floor, grab a medicine ball or dumbbell with both hands, raise the ball/dumbbell up "over" the head, and then work with the legs ... flutter kicks, scissors, alternate leg raises, knees-to-chest, all the while counter-balancing with the ball/dumbbell. Doesn't require a machine, as such, and can easily be done anywhere. Can make more difficult via the addition of lighter ankle weights.

Lots of choices, out there.
Likes For Clyde1820: