Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rims too tight -- sandpaper them down?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rims too tight -- sandpaper them down?

Old 12-29-22, 05:03 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
The internet is a raunchy place. Grow a thick skin or stay away.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 12-29-22, 06:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
He came in asking for answers from those who have done this. Whether that experience went well or badly. Pretty straight forward. And he did ask for responses from just from those for whom it went well. As far as I ca tell from your responses, you've never sanded down a rim and have zero experience. Am I wrong here?
Re-read what he wrote. It was different from that, if he had put it that way sure fine question, bad idea but fine question. He didn't.

I haven't sanded down a rim internally nor would I unless there was a burr and probably wouldn't do it to a no-name carbon wheel. I also haven't jumped off a cliff into jagged rocks or drank drain cleaner (not saying they are equal in danger just bad ideas)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-29-22, 06:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
You're not wrong, but in an open forum you will have people who come in and give their .02 whether you want it or not. Ironically, veganbikes is on another thread in this subforum arguing that someone made a useless extraneous post on a half decade old thread, so we all obviously have differing opinions and guidelines for what makes a post worthy. As long as the post adheres to the forum guidelines, we can all go pound sand if we don't like it... but we're also allowed to post about how useless we think it is.
Sure but again people need to read this posters posts especially the first one
I know *all* the tricks already
not a good start.

The other post you can disagree on, maybe I was harsher than needed but an old 2017 thread to just say don't buy bikes on a bike forum stuck in my craw a little. But the response to my post got a little crazy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-29-22, 06:21 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
jesnow , for the love of puppies and kittens, I cannot understand why you and so many other posters come here looking for confirmation on an idea, then when experienced people tell you it's a bad idea, you get bent out of shape. Not only that, but you double down. If you "know all the tricks", why do you need to come here to ask us for help? You know everything, right?

I didn't read through every single comment, but if someone called you an idiot for doing something, that is not OK. If they told you it's a bad idea, there is nothing wrong with that.

As far as difficulty mounting and dismounting tires on rims, tubeless compatible equipment has definitely made this more difficult. I have found that certain tire/rim combos are simply impossible to work with. I had a pair of WTB Byways mounted to WTB i25 rims and they were nearly impossible to dismount. Mounting was difficult but possible. I realized I would never be able to change a flat in the field on these, so I ditched the tires. I now run Panaracers on these.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-29-22, 08:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
jesnow , for the love of puppies and kittens, I cannot understand why you and so many other posters come here looking for confirmation on an idea, then when experienced people tell you it's a bad idea, you get bent out of shape. Not only that, but you double down. If you "know all the tricks", why do you need to come here to ask us for help? You know everything, right?

I didn't read through every single comment, but if someone called you an idiot for doing something, that is not OK. If they told you it's a bad idea, there is nothing wrong with that.
I once posted about sawing off the brake bridge on a free frame that I converted to FG so I could put on a bigger tire. I posted that I analyzed it first, decided it would be OK, sawed it off, and reported that everything worked fine. Kind of the opposite of what OP posted about.

But I still got called an idiot and people had all kinds of reasons why it was a stupid idea even though none of them had done it and I HAD.
Here - something else to argue about:

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-29-22, 09:19 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,456 Times in 949 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I once posted about sawing off the brake bridge on a free frame that I converted to FG so I could put on a bigger tire. I posted that I analyzed it first, decided it would be OK, sawed it off, and reported that everything worked fine. Kind of the opposite of what OP posted about.

But I still got called an idiot and people had all kinds of reasons why it was a stupid idea even though none of them had done it and I HAD.

I can think of all the arguments against doing this, but none of them are "It might get you killed".

Unlike the OP.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-29-22, 09:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
This proves that it's not stupid if it works. Probably what someone posted against what you did was due to something they saw in another thread about some sort of frame modification. They then regurgitated that and then others piled on.

As for this thread, without reading through the whole thing again, I don't recall anyone saying that they did this successfully until the OP said he did. So if only people that had tried this replied, this thread would have sunk to the bottom of the feed like the Titanic. Instead we got several pages of arguments about why people though the OP shouldn't do it. An now the OP has brought it back up and I find it interesting that people are arguing about why they are arguing. And this is why Al Gore invented the Internet.

Old 12-30-22, 06:38 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts

I have no comment.