Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Free Hub Spacer?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Free Hub Spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 05:21 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Free Hub Spacer?

What thickness of spacer is used to put an eight speed cassette on a 9 speed free hub? Or is a spacer even needed?

Thanks
Old 01-14-23, 05:42 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 1,556 Times in 1,021 Posts
None needed. Same freehub.
Old 01-14-23, 07:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
You never need to ask this question since the hub itself tells you.

Cassettes NEED TO OVERHANG the freehub by 1or 2mm. This allows the locking to tighten against and compress the cassette before bottoming against the freehub body.

Once you understand the principle, you'll always know how much spacer you need, if any.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-14-23, 07:37 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Thanks!
Old 01-14-23, 10:04 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by FBinNY
You never need to ask this question since the hub itself tells you.

Cassettes NEED TO OVERHANG the freehub by 1or 2mm. This allows the locking to tighten against and compress the cassette before bottoming against the freehub body.

Once you understand the principle, you'll always know how much spacer you need, if any.
So buy the cassette, bring it home, try to install it, then go back out to buy the spacer?

I think I would just ask.
Old 01-15-23, 10:05 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
So buy the cassette,
No, take your wheel in with you and try it. get the spacer at that point if you need it.
Now you buy.
Old 01-15-23, 12:07 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
No, take your wheel in with you and try it. get the spacer at that point if you need it.
Now you buy.
If you're buying from a shop, and if it is convenient to tote a wheel around.
Old 01-15-23, 01:20 PM
Schweinhund

If you're buying from a shop, and if it is convenient to tote a wheel around.
Originally Posted by kontact
buy your cassette, bring it home
Is that not what you are saying here?
Is it a big deal to carry a wheel a couple of miles?
Old 01-15-23, 01:37 PM
Kontact 

Is that not what you are saying here?
Is it a big deal to carry a wheel a couple of miles?
Is it a big deal to request and receive standardized information on the internet? What else is the internet really for besides distributing information?

I'm glad the OP asked the question rather than just trying to figure it out through trial and error or by lugging around bike parts to get his hands greasy trying them out on an LBS counter.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-15-23, 01:56 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hmmmm…not sure exactly how ‘standardized’ this information is.
Have had my hands on many a freehub/cassette combination and am still somewhat surprised at circumstances that require a spacer.
Not always a standard 1mm or 1.85, but purchased a bag of .5mm spacers some time ago for fine tuning.
Just slightly loose cassettes produce a jangly noise that’s hard to diagnose unless you’ve experienced the situation.
So yeah, kinda like some BB’s, sometimes you gotta install and see what’s needed.
Old 01-15-23, 03:03 PM
Schweinhund

Is it a big deal to request and receive standardized information on the internet? What else is the internet really for besides distributing information?

I'm glad the OP asked the question rather than just trying to figure it out through trial and error or by lugging around bike parts to get his hands greasy trying them out on an LBS counter.
Is that the Kontact thing? OMG no greasy old stuff or hands in an LBS!!!!

Last edited by StanSeven; 01-15-23 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 03:05 PM
Kontact 

Is that the Kontact thing? OMG no greasy old stuff or hands in an LBS!!!!
Yes, I imagine the suggestion of doing things the easy way is very controversial.

Last edited by StanSeven; 01-15-23 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 03:16 PM
Kontact 

no you say something dumb and then say it's the easy way.
take the dang thing to the shop. that's the easy way. do it once and do it right.
Asking whether an 8 speed Shimano cassette needs as spacer on a 9 speed freehub is "dumb"? Is that answer going to ever be anything but "no"?

You are a gem, sir.
Old 01-15-23, 04:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
I am curious what was dumb about what Kontact said, they are a mechanic, and you are a_______? You generally do not need a spacer for 8-9 speed saying no you don't need one isn't dumb. Neither is trying the cassette sans spacer and getting one if needed.

Most people I have experienced don't want to remove their wheel and schlep it in. I wouldn't really want to do that unless I was having the shop do the work or there was an issue with the wheel. It is not dumb to bring the wheel it is just a hassle for some people. If you have a wheel bag that is comfortable to carry around it isn't so bad but most people don't have that and even with that I don't want to carry them or maybe I want to ride a bike to the shop that is not the bike I am working on or some other reason.

Last edited by StanSeven; 01-15-23 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-15-23, 04:40 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,466 Posts
Moderator note: I cleaned up and edited some posts which included insults. Either post with respect or move on and ignore the thread
Old 01-15-23, 05:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Is it a big deal to request and receive standardized information on the internet? What else is the internet really for besides distributing information?......
There's nothing wrong with the request, nor with the simple answer. However......

The OP asked a specific question and got a specific answer, so far so good.

Later I on posted additional info, based on my worldview that an understanding of the involved principles is valuable and fosters a degree of self reliance. (note, I didn't quote the earlier response, nor make a comparative value judgement) I considered adding that there are many posts here on BF about cassettes not tightening down properly, and/or that despite standards, there are variations in freehub bodies and cassettes, and the OP hadn't offered specific details, But I chose not to.

So, following the old parable, You gave the man a fish, and I opted to help him learn how to fish. That should have been the end of this thread.

However, you then decided to make it fight with your snide (my characterization) response quoting of my post. I chose not to take it up, chalking it up to you being you. However, others felt you were out of line. So, please don't play the victim in a fight over nothing that you chose to start.

FWIW --- It is possible to be right without needing to prove that others are wrong.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-15-23 at 05:45 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-15-23, 08:47 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
Bicycle MechanicsBroken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

this is what it says at the top of the forum... it should really say something like ask a question and watch the same 2 or 3 posters bicker with each other. carry on....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 01-15-23, 09:11 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Hmmmm…not sure exactly how ‘standardized’ this information is.
Have had my hands on many a freehub/cassette combination and am still somewhat surprised at circumstances that require a spacer.
Not always a standard 1mm or 1.85, but purchased a bag of .5mm spacers some time ago for fine tuning.
Just slightly loose cassettes produce a jangly noise that’s hard to diagnose unless you’ve experienced the situation.
So yeah, kinda like some BB’s, sometimes you gotta install and see what’s needed.
Yep this is true.
Old 01-15-23, 11:41 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Soody
Yep this is true.
It really is not true. Their a finite number of road freehub bodies and cassettes. 7, 8/9/10, 10 Dura Ace, MTB 11 and road 11. It is very clear what spacers you need in each case.

The thing that throws people is that the DA 10 was narrower and the compatible cassettes included a spacer for use on standard 10. Sram was all the same, except without the narrow DA 10 version.

There isn't an aftermarket that is different than these combinations. Aftermarket cassettes must work on Shimano freehubs, and aftermarket freehubs must except Shimano cassettes.

This isn't like BBs that are predicated by the frame design and the crank. Freehubs of the types we're discussing just vary in width (With the exception of the DA10 which has taller splines on the body).
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-16-23, 12:18 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
It really is not true. Their a finite number of road freehub bodies and cassettes. 7, 8/9/10, 10 Dura Ace, MTB 11 and road 11. It is very clear what spacers you need in each case.

The thing that throws people is that the DA 10 was narrower and the compatible cassettes included a spacer for use on standard 10. Sram was all the same, except without the narrow DA 10 version.

There isn't an aftermarket that is different than these combinations. Aftermarket cassettes must work on Shimano freehubs, and aftermarket freehubs must except Shimano cassettes.

This isn't like BBs that are predicated by the frame design and the crank. Freehubs of the types we're discussing just vary in width (With the exception of the DA10 which has taller splines on the body).
You've never installed a cassette that was theoretically spaced correctly, but did not actually protrude past the freehub and so was not held down tightly and so produced the jangle?
Because he has, and I have.

What's your explanation for this phenomenon that multiple people think is common?
Old 01-16-23, 08:05 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Kontact, I absolutely agree with you. In theory.
In practice, I have found some surprising circumstances where a spacer is necessary.
Stuff sometimes just doesn't fit like it's supposed to.
Therefore, I always check fit after installation and sometimes find the need for a spacer.
Old 01-16-23, 08:19 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Soody
You've never installed a cassette that was theoretically spaced correctly, but did not actually protrude past the freehub and so was not held down tightly and so produced the jangle?
Because he has, and I have.

What's your explanation for this phenomenon that multiple people think is common?
That it was one of the cassettes that come with and require an extra 1mm spacer because they were compatible with those narrow DA 10 freehub bodies. On those you use the 1mm spacer plus the 1.85 spacer to work on 11 speed bodies. Or they didn't realize 11-34 eleven cassettes and larger will fit on 8/9/10 speed freehubs, so they require a 1.85 on 11 speed freehub bodies. Or they had failed to remove a previous spacer when they installed a new cassette. Seen all of these multiple times.

And no, I have not been unable to understand why I need to use whichever spacers. I was working in a pro bike shop - it was my business to know why some things did or didn't work - not just shove more spacers on and hope for the best, or play trial and error while a customer waits for their cassette to be installed.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-16-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-16-23, 08:23 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Kontact, I absolutely agree with you. In theory.
In practice, I have found some surprising circumstances where a spacer is necessary.
Stuff sometimes just doesn't fit like it's supposed to.
Therefore, I always check fit after installation and sometimes find the need for a spacer.
You should check fit before you put the lockring on, not after. I don't know how many freehubs I've seen chewed up because people had too few or too many spacers.

But however many it takes is not a shock when you know what kind of cassette it is.