Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front rings skipping after new chain and cassette- best "cheap" way to handle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 11:06 PM
cruiserandmax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I recently replaced my rear cassette and chain and rode for about 500 miles trouble free... Recently when peddling under heavy load the chain is skipping- I think in the front.. I am guessing my front rings are too worn now (see pic)? I think this is an old Sugino(?) crank... Is it possible to find chainrings for this crank? Can I just buy any chainrings that match my BCD and use 4 bolts?

This is an old steel frame Specialized MTB I got second hand nearly 25 years ago and have been replacing parts as needed myself to keep it going as my day to day hauler... Any tips for cost effective fixes appreciated!
Old 02-05-23, 11:34 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
From the picture, there is a lot that needs replacing.

Your chain is probably the biggest issue, it's long worn out, which can clearly be seen as it doesn't sit on the outer chainring correctly (it sitting on top, rather than on)

Your FD is missing a screw, probably not causing any issues, but not helping either

All the chainrings look excessively worn, realistically it will probably be cheaper to just replace the whole crank , rather than try and source the chainrings; would be looking at a lower end Shimano HT2 compatible crank, yes the BB will also need replacing, but once it's done, any future repairs are easier than trying to source a crank/BB that match each other.

You may also want to check the pulley wheels on the RD, if they are anything like the front, they will probably need replacing.

For cost effectiveness in the future? get you kit clean, learn how to lube a chain, as it will last longer,

Your bike has done 25 years, it's time to refresh some of the parts on it, sometimes you can get away with replacing 1 or 2 parts, sometimes (like now) you need to replace a lot more. (wondering what condition your cables are in as well)
Likes For jimc101:
Old 02-06-23, 12:28 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 140 Posts
104/64 BCD.

5 second search on AliExpress yielded a three ring set plus replacement bolts for around $20.
Complete crankset isn't much more but may open another can of worms
Likes For Mackers:
Old 02-06-23, 12:53 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserandmax
I recently replaced my rear cassette and chain and rode for about 500 miles trouble free...
...usually, when you replace a chain and the rear casette, and the front chainwheels are that worn out, the problems with skipping start right away. I have no explanation for how you managed to get 500 trouble free miles.

This is an old steel frame Specialized MTB I got second hand nearly 25 years ago and have been replacing parts as needed myself to keep it going as my day to day hauler... Any tips for cost effective fixes appreciated!
...the most cost effective way to keep a bike like that going is to find a bike co-op in your area, and buy used parts and components to keep your old utility bike going there. Depending on the size and age of your organization, they have some pretty extensive parts inventories ...at least the one near me does. Try Google using "bike co-op" and "your town". The crank in question doesn't look like replacement rings would be a big expense. But I think you might have to replace the chain and rear cluster again, because those wear pretty quickly when your chainrings are worn out like that.
Old 02-06-23, 12:56 AM
cruiserandmax

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It looks like I have 44mm BCD for all three rings.. ?
Old 02-06-23, 12:57 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
104/64 BCD.

5 second search on AliExpress yielded a three ring set plus replacement bolts for around $20.
Complete crankset isn't much more but may open another can of worms
A new crankset might be the easier path, his crank looks like one of those low-end ones from the early-to-mid-'90s with three steel rings riveted together and mounted on the one set of bolts we can see. I believe we're looking at 64 BCD here, no 106 holes.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-06-23, 02:00 AM
cruiserandmax

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think I was measuring across the wrong holes- measuring across the diameter it looks like ~ 61mm BCD... is that right!?
Old 02-06-23, 02:18 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

I think I was measuring across the wrong holes- measuring across the diameter it looks like ~ 61mm BCD... is that right!?
You're measuring correctly now but the number is a little off, it's 64mm. That kind of riveted together chainring setup may be hard to find new, you may have better luck tracking down that whole crankset on Ebay. That way you'll know it'll fit the bottom bracket you have now.

This advice is for a home mechanic who's pulling their own cranks and can determine if the bottom bracket is still good. If you're going to a bike shop they'll have an idea for a new crank/BB that will work for you. You definitely need a new chain, too. The cassette may be ok.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 02-06-23 at 02:21 AM.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-06-23, 06:46 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
If you've gotten 25 years of use out of the bike, it's time to drop a couple bucks on refreshing the components. To be really honest here..by the look of the pics and the degree of wear on the components, maintenance isn't your strong suit. I'd take it to a bike shop and have them do the work.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 02-06-23, 07:07 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Assuming your bike is 7/8 speed, and if it were me, I would go with something like this:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Al...70mm-22X32X42T
Forget trying to source new rings. Cheaper, and a lot less hassle to replace the entire crankset.
Most certainly as part of the job invest $12 in a new chain.
Likes For timdow:
Old 02-06-23, 12:52 PM
jimc101

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
A new crankset might be the easier path, his crank looks like one of those low-end ones from the early-to-mid-'90s with three steel rings riveted together and mounted on the one set of bolts we can see. I believe we're looking at 64 BCD here, no 106 holes.
Sugino Impel, that was good mid range stuff in the mid-late 90's STX level, what would currently be around Deore level.

They did some with 'normal' Shimano compatible rings (5 bolt), the ones that the OP has, have only seen in pictures, but look to have a non-standard BCD for the outer (had a 5 bolt, they were normal Shimano 5 bolt compact compatible), getting a replacement now, 25-30 years after they first came out could be problematic to impossible; not to surprised as these would have come out right around the time Shimano went to 4 bolt pattern, and even Shimano had some designs that are no longer available.
Old 02-06-23, 01:42 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by jimc101
Sugino Impel, that was good mid range stuff in the mid-late 90's STX level, what would currently be around Deore level.

They did some with 'normal' Shimano compatible rings (5 bolt), the ones that the OP has, have only seen in pictures, but look to have a non-standard BCD for the outer (had a 5 bolt, they were normal Shimano 5 bolt compact compatible), getting a replacement now, 25-30 years after they first came out could be problematic to impossible; not to surprised as these would have come out right around the time Shimano went to 4 bolt pattern, and even Shimano had some designs that are no longer available.
This is not the same level as the mid-range Impels you're thinking of, I don't know why it also has the Impel name on it. It's a cheaper crank with one set of bolt holes, they're 64 BCD.

Last edited by Joe Remi; 02-06-23 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-07-23, 12:48 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
I recently replaced my rear cassette and chain and rode for about 500 miles trouble free... Recently when peddling under heavy load the chain is skipping- I think in the front..
The chain looks worse than the chainrings. It wouldn't hurt to clean the drivetrain occasionally, it will work better longer that way. Is it cheap off-brand stuff?
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-07-23, 01:30 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
...500 miles trouble free...
500 Miles is admirable but dam man... Clean up that bike, get out your tool kit, and do some maintenance. Ya just don't ride a bike down to its failure point and then consider whats whats wrong. I don't mean to be harsh but you know this...

Edit 2023-02-08: OK... Here are some possible solutions. If you don't know how to make the replacements just do the old YouTube search. Remember that the purchase of the tools and the parts can still be less then the cost of someone doing it for ya. And of course even if ya pay there is no guarantee they will do it right. All bicycles deserve routine maintenance, and to, they all wear out, no matter how little or how expensive the original cost.

Amazon 15 USD

Amazon 18 USD

Last edited by zandoval; 02-08-23 at 11:08 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 02-09-23, 10:00 PM
cruiserandmax

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all for setting me straight on keeping up with basic maintenance- and also for slapping me into realizing the chain was the most worn thing in the picture (seems obvious to me now looking at how the chain wasn't seating in the chainring)- I got a new chain, cleaned up the gears a good bit, and put things back together and it peddles smooth and strong now without a hitch. Since my rear cassette is still pretty new- a little cleaning there, and on the derailleur. My drive train is operating, if not looking, good as new

Last edited by cruiserandmax; 02-10-23 at 01:23 AM.
Likes For cruiserandmax:
Old 02-09-23, 10:11 PM
cruiserandmax

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
The chain looks worse than the chainrings. It wouldn't hurt to clean the drivetrain occasionally, it will work better longer that way. Is it cheap off-brand stuff?
It was a decent SRAM chain- I just rode on it forever without ever touching it (I know better now.
Old 02-09-23, 10:32 PM
Joe Remi

Learning is good! Wipe the chain down every now and then and put some lube on the rollers and it'll last you a while.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-10-23, 03:06 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 327 Posts
It was a decent SRAM chain- I just rode on it forever without ever touching it (I know better now.
I tend to just oil and wipe, but if it's been wet I'll occasionally take the chain and cassette off and clean them properly - seems to be a Sunday afternoon activity.
Likes For grumpus: