Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Pulled muscle in back..

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Pulled muscle in back..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 03:25 AM
BmoreDrew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pulled muscle in back..

I can only think it was from riding.. I took my fixed out Thursday, which has a very leaned forward TT like setup to it.. came home, made dinner, eating I noticed my back felt strained on the bottom right side. A few hours later it felt like full on pulled muscle. I just rode it 2 days before for 40 miles and had no problem. I only did a few miles because it got dark and my GF was with me. Maybe 5-6 miles at most.

It's bearable, and I have icy/hot on it. I really want to ride tomorrow, should I risk it or wait a few days out? I have a big ride I'd like to do on Thanksgiving and don't want to miss out on too many training days.

Any suggestions to help in the mean time?
Old 11-05-10, 06:31 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 248 Posts
I used to have those damn delayed muscle kinks all the time (hiking and exercise finally cured them). They would happen a few days after a significant activity.

If yours is like mine were, I would wait a bit for it to get better.
Old 11-05-10, 06:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
deep tissue massage; hot baths w/ epsom salt; some potassium supplements (not just bananas) and a tiny tiny bit of magnesium supplements. a little bedtime "Tylenol PM" w/ (benadryl) will help relax the muscle too.
Old 11-05-10, 06:55 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
1) Rest
2) Antiinflammatories
3) Massage
4) Physical therapy
5)stretching and strengthening
6) don't lean over so much until your back is a lot stronger (even pros don't spend all their time on TT bikes.)

Raise Dat Stem!

by Bob Gordon

A flat back is one of the hallmarks of an experienced cyclist, particularly a racer, and over the years I have seen the prevailing attitudes towards rider positioning devolve to the point where if you don't cycle with your back parallel to the ground, you're cast off as a beginner.

But like many other concepts recreational riders adopt, the low back originated in the professional ranks after extensive research in aerodynamics
proved this would help the fast go faster. Competitive athletes routinely sacrifice both their short and long term health for the express purpose of winning, but you may have a different agenda.

Lower back disc problems peak the ages of 30 and 50. There are many causes, but if your back pain is exacerbated by riding, it's a good bet the cause is bouncing around on your bike while your lower spine is extensively flexed (loss of lower back arch). A low, forward torso causes the inner portion of the disc (the nucleus purposes) to press back against the outer restraining fibers (the annulus fibroses). This pressure eventually causes the disc to bulge or herniate. The nearby nerves get squeezed, and the next thing you know, someone like me is telling you you have sciatica.

Cycling mitigates some of the problems of a habitually flexed lumbar spine because of the "bridge effect" that's created by resting some of your weight on your hands. But the lumbar region and its soft tissues are still at risk just by being continuously hyper flexed, and if you sit all day at your job, the danger is compounded.

On the flip side, cycling entirely upright does not solve the problem either. True, the inter-vertebral discs and spinal ligaments are in a more neutral position and absorb shock better, but the load is now transmitted axially, which is fatiguing and jarring. Also, in a bolt-upright position you can't use your gluteus or hamstrings to great advantage, which means your thighs (quadriceps) get overworked, you lose a lot of power, the unused hamstrings and gluteal muscles go flabby, and you catch all that wind. It's hard to be happy about all that, racer or no.

There is, however, a position that allows good performance while minimizing risk of lower back injury. I like a stem height and length that puts your back about 50 degrees from horizontal, while your arms and legs bend slightly at the elbows, as shown in figure 2 up there. To achieve this, you'll probably have to raise your bars, and assuming you want to keep the same bar style (as opposed to riding with stingray bars or something), that usually means getting another stem, one with a taller quill or a steep rise to it. If you hit the sweet spot, a photo of you from the side will reveal a nice pyramid composed of top tube, torso and arms.'
Old 11-05-10, 10:15 PM
BmoreDrew

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the extensive post!! I'm going to take some measurements on my roadie and see if I can get similar position out of the fixie.

The ICY/HOT + massage seemed to help a lot. I woke up feeling like it was gone and now by the end of the day, after doing some light stretching it's definitely gone.
Old 11-06-10, 08:02 AM
mingus76

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take turmeric capsules, 8-10 a day to start with. Very good anti inflammatory. Much better and better for you than OTC pain pills. Imho the best is a product called Curamin.
Old 11-01-22, 09:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
deep tissue massage; hot baths w/ epsom salt; some potassium supplements (not just bananas) and a tiny tiny bit of magnesium supplements. a little bedtime "Tylenol PM" w/ (benadryl) will help relax the muscle too.
I neglected to mention my prescription med Cyclobenzaprine (aka Flexeril) which is used short-term to treat muscle spasms. It is usually used along with rest and physical therapy. It works by helping to relax the muscles

I just came back to this thread because I have strained my back again (it's been a while since the last time - 2014) & I have to remind myself what to do now.

also just saw this tip: "Sleep in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs"
Old 11-01-22, 10:15 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
This channel has helped me a great deal. https://www.youtube.com/c/GentleYogaandWellness
Old 11-01-22, 10:16 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 80 Posts
I neglected to mention my prescription med Cyclobenzaprine (aka Flexeril) which is used short-term to treat muscle spasms. It is usually used along with rest and physical therapy. It works by helping to relax the muscles

I just came back to this thread because I have strained my back again (it's been a while since the last time - 2014) & I have to remind myself what to do now.

also just saw this tip: "Sleep in a curled-up, fetal position with a pillow between your legs"
Only use Flexeril just before bedtime and plan your sleep schedule to allow for an extra hour of sleep. This med knocks me out!
Likes For boozergut:
Old 11-01-22, 10:29 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by boozergut
Only use Flexeril just before bedtime and plan your sleep schedule to allow for an extra hour of sleep. This med knocks me out!
oh yeah! & it messes with one's reaction time, meaning DO NOT DRIVE. I just checked the prescription on the container: "take 1 tablet (10mg) 3 times a day daily as needed" I think I may have taken 3 in a day when I first strained my back very badly a little less than 30 years ago. possibly 2 days in a row before backing off them. I never take that many now. they don't target just the strained muscles, they affect all your muscles. Wifey says they make me cranky, but it's the whole episode of having the strained back, limiting my activities, plus the dumb pills that help keep me stationary, which makes me cranky. plus they can cause some constipation. so I'm in pain, don't feel like doing anything & I can't go to the bathroom. so yeah, I'm cranky ...
Old 11-01-22, 01:26 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by BmoreDrew
I really want to ride tomorrow, should I risk it or wait a few days out?
Depends on the severity, of course. Every injury is different.

Had a muscle strain in my back (near a shoulder blade) back in my late teens. Took a month to heal, without exercising, without carrying any loads. Did muscle relaxer medicine, massage. After a month, then I could begin stretching and lightly exercising again.

Up to you whether you risk it, based on what your injury's like.

Knowing what little is known, I'd suggest waiting several days with very little exercising ... at least, insofar as your back's muscles are concerned. You certainly ought to be able to, say, do a recumbent/seated bike at the gym, or other similar non-back-involved exercise for cardio. Though, I'd think any upright bike riding (gym or otherwise) would involve the back and might well exacerbate whatever's wrong.
Old 11-01-22, 01:31 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Depends on the severity, of course. Every injury is different.
Had a muscle strain in my back (near a shoulder blade) back in my late teens. Took a month to heal, without exercising, without carrying any loads. Did muscle relaxer medicine, massage. After a month, then I could begin stretching and lightly exercising again.
Up to you whether you risk it, based on what your injury's like.
Knowing what little is known, I'd suggest waiting several days with very little exercising ... at least, insofar as your back's muscles are concerned. You certainly ought to be able to, say, do a recumbent/seated bike at the gym, or other similar non-back-involved exercise for cardio. Though, I'd think any upright bike riding (gym or otherwise) would involve the back and might well exacerbate whatever's wrong.
just a head's up his post is from 12 years ago. but you brought up a good point, after recovering from a strained muscle or back, we then have to work back up from it to regain strength & flexibility. partly what makes my back strains so freaking annoying. I can kick myself, because I know better than to lift a heavy box on my own
Old 11-01-22, 03:34 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
just a head's up his post is from 12 years ago. but ...
Of course. Saw that.

But, as always, such things with physical fitness, aches and pains, techniques for improving ... they always apply.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 11-02-22, 05:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
just a head's up his post is from 12 years ago.
Yeah, he should be good to go now.
Old 11-02-22, 10:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Typically, moderation does not like old threads resurrected. The primary reason is that previous posters may no longer be active. It is better to start a new thread and refer to the subject matter of the old thread if appropriate. In this case, it is slightly different. Food for thought for the future.
Old 11-02-22, 10:21 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Having just had such an issue, I think there's a high probability that in the OP's case it wasn't a muscle issue, but rather a strain in the iliolumbar or iliosacral joints. Or so said my doctor. A better fix than changing one's bike position is just riding Z1 for say 30' a day for a few days to encourage healing. Fixed me right up, pain gone. In my case, I think I did it at the gym. Now back at the gym, same exercises, no pain after or on the bike. Wonderful to have the ability to self-repair. Wish my car did that.