Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist struck by hit and run driver in Boston

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist struck by hit and run driver in Boston

Old 08-14-18, 12:08 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaapops
Just want to add a few quotes from MA driver manual:
Rotary Traffic Rules
:...

As a motorist in the presence of bicycles:...
• Watch for Bicycles on Your Right: Bicycles can legally ride to the right of motor vehicle traffic. The law says it is not a defense for a motorist causing a crash with a bicycle that the bicycle was to the right of other traffic. (Chap. 85, Sec 11B)
I posted earlier to this thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I frequently encounter “traffic circles” here in Metro Boston, and I am actually acquainted with the cyclist in that video; she’s doing OK.

My strategy is to remain on the outer circumference of the rotary from my entrance to my exit. In particular (but not just for rotaries):
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. …The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [to include]:

in a rotary. When passing entrance/exit ramps from a freeway [or on a rotary], with the right hand mirror, I can view the ramps to my right, and stay wide of them, while watching upcoming traffic on my left, all while almost continuously looking straight ahead
My rule is easy to remember in the intensity of riding in a rotary, and I don’t think it violates any of the rules in the MA driver manual.I don’t think it’s necessary to go into the inner lanes of a rotary to get from entrance to exit.

Whether to Take the Lane, or Ride Far Right as Possible in the outside lane is another matter.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-14-18 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 12:56 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
It looks like the subaru was breaking any number of laws. Speeding, unsafe pass... and that was before they even cut off the cyclist. Car with the camera was being passed and may have screened the cyclist from the passing car's view. However, once past the car with the dashcam, the subaru seems to start making the turn and wiggle a bit -- like they saw the cyclist -- and then decided to risk the turn anyway. It looks like a deliberate decision to cut off the cyclist. Charitably, I'd say that maybe they expected the cyclist to brake in time to avoid a collision after the car made such a bonehead move, but obviously the answer is more like, didn't care one way or another.

FWIW, I take the lane in a rotary because cars will tend to right hook -- no one stays in a rotary, everyone is exiting...
Old 08-14-18, 01:20 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No question the car was in the wrong, but in typical city traffic you're gonna see probably at least one similar move (or worse) frequently more than once in a day, you gotta be ready for it. No move any car makes in city traffic surprises me any more, many people driving around seem to not even realize or even care how their actions impact others.

Accidental stuff I can deal with, but this was probably more of a lack of concern on the part of the driver, rather than accidental, which I find troubling, but also provides a convenient excuse to get myself a nice expensive video camera.
Old 08-20-18, 03:42 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
There are simply TWO rules in a multi-lane rotary.

Yield to traffic already in the rotary.
Yield to traffic when changing lanes.

That’s it. This works no matter if you are going around counter-clockwise or clockwise. (Even when people no longer have a clue what clockwise means.)

To the people who never DRIVE in a multilane rotary, let alone ride in a multilane rotary...

...feel free to share your “expert” opinion with this person about what she did “wrong!”

-mr. bill
Ditto!!!!.
Old 08-20-18, 04:04 AM
Misteraz1003

Bikes: 82 Schwinn Superior - 74 Falcon Olympic - 73 Raleigh Competition - 82 Voyager 11.8 - Lemond Zurich - Lemond Sarthe - Lemond Saturn Maillot Jaune - Peugeot PH10LE - Peugeot Bordeaux - Raleigh Competition GS - Schwinn Tempo - Trek Madone - Fuji S12SLTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a good experience riding through a roundabout

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Roundabouts are great for vehicular traffic flying thru...but risky for bicyclists and pedestrians.
An old corvette tried to zip through a roundabout and make a right turn in front of me, just like the biker in the video. It was like the driver didn't see me until it was too late. The car ended up hitting the curb just missing a light post and bent the wheel with a flat tire. Scared the hell out of me! Now, I'm much more cautious traveling through those accidents waiting to happen.
I did not bother stopping to see if the driver of the car was alright.

Last edited by Misteraz1003; 08-20-18 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-20-18, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
For the life of me I don't see how the driver was at fault. The cyclist appears to come out of nowhere and swerves/rams right into the drivers blindspot, in an almost deliberate, suicidal manner. Very strange.

You obviously don't know how a roundabout/rotary works. The bicyclist is in the lane going "straight" through the curve of the circle. The car is turning off of the roundabout, and was behind her through the roundabout--she didn't come suddenly out of nowhere. She's kept the same lane throughout.

The car is clearly going too fast and failing to yield when turning.
Old 08-20-18, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx

FWIW, I take the lane in a rotary because cars will tend to right hook -- no one stays in a rotary, everyone is exiting...
For me, it depends on how many exits I'm going to have to cross. If I'm going off on the first exit, it's much easier to stay to the right of the circle then exit onto the right of the exit, never crossing the cars. Otherwise, I agree with you--get in the lane--the drivers get mad for a second before they realize I'm actually keeping out of their blind spot. It's probably the only place I've never been honked at taking the lane. Also, definitely signal the exit.