Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stuck Foldy Lock Classic Help Please

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 09:11 PM
johny24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Video here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9P...?usp=drive_web

Hey guys I have a Foldy Lock like this below and been using it for the past year. 3 weeks ago I locked the bike at my gfs house I left it there for a week and a half. So when I went to unlock the key would not turn at all. I did some research online I first tried some specialty bike oil, wiggling it around tried spare keys tried some more oil and nothing. Few days later I came back tried some WD 40 in large quatities nothing. I tried banging the key with in it and no turn. I tried again a few days later and same results. I am getting desperate and don’t know what to do? I contacted the company and they told me it has never happened and they sent me a replacement but they can’t help remove the lock on the bike. Somebody please help thank you you
Old 08-06-19, 12:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Did you try penetrating oil? It's not the same as lubricating oil. Penetrating oil can free up jammed, oxidized and corroded bits and pieces.

Or, if they sent you a new lock, just cut the one that's jammed. A hacksaw is probably the cheapest.

Or check the Lock Picking Lawyer channel on YouTube, and other videos for defeating locks. You might pick up some tips on non-destructively removing the lock.
Old 08-06-19, 04:24 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
If it won’t turn no picking will do the job. My guess is the cylinder has some corrosion and the pins are hanging up. Try drilling out the core. Alternatively a grinder with a cutoff wheel will simply and quickly do the job.
Old 08-06-19, 06:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Random thoughts about your issue:

I woudn't think that only 10 or so days out in the weather would cause the lock cylinder to freeze up like that. It's definitely a imprecise match between key and cylinder.

Does it feel like the key is going in all the way. From what I see in the video, it doesn't look like full insertion. Of course lubrication and banging would sort this out.

On the other hand, it may be in too far. Try pulling it out just a hair while wiggling it.

Have you tried the key the other way round? I have a key that doesn't work one way but if I rotate it 180 degrees and try again it works fine? Then again, trying 3 different keys like you did should result in success.

It looks like you will just have to cut it off. In doing so you will get a good sense of the degree of difficulty it is, although if it is too easy you may regret having bought this particular lock. Do a video of the removal and post it as a product review to benefit others.

The tough question: Since you've had this experience, can you trust the replacement lock to function correctly. I'd have constant worry, when locking up in public, that it won't work when I return.
Old 08-06-19, 09:08 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys for the advice, the company did send me a New Lock but I am kinda of inexperience of how to cut it up, if I do want to cut the lock I don't know how to without damaging the bike? Its no simple bolt cutter right? Somebody said hack saw? How would I cut the lock with it? ironically bought this lock to prevent theft because I live in NYC and prevent theft because I had cheaper ulock and thieves would always cut it or break it.

Answering to Moe Zhoost, The Key looks like it does go all the way in, I tried the other way around since the key is the same on both sides, I have spare keys (3 Keys in total) for the Lock and I tried those with no luck at all.

Before I tried the last resort of cutting the lock any other recommendations and I do remember it did rain really hard 1 day looks like water maybe has gone inside the lock mechanism. I see someone mention penetrating I did use DuPont Teflon Easy Entry Lock Lubricant & WD40?
Old 08-07-19, 09:40 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by johny24

I see someone mention penetrating I did use DuPont Teflon Easy Entry Lock Lubricant & WD40?
No, those are not penetrating oils, although WD-40 does make a penetrating oil. The normal WD-40 is not though.

Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, 3-IN-ONE, Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil, are all penetrating oils.
Old 08-07-19, 08:27 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I will try a penetrating oil and see what happens
Old 08-08-19, 05:38 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://www.harborfreight.com/20V-Hy...nly-63632.html
Old 08-10-19, 01:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Once you take off that lock get rid of the new one they sent you and go out and buy an actual quality folding lock from ABUS. They made the first folding lock and are the only company that can make a good quality lock of any sort. I do not say that lightly, the other lock companies are owned by parent companies or are cheap copies and they use inferior metals and processes to make them. ABUS is owned by ABUS, all of their factories are their own factories producing nothing but ABUS product and they use virgin steel that is tempered and heat treated in their machines to their specifications. ABUS doesn't make locks to just pass lock tests they make locks to keep your stuff locked up and keep working for long periods.

Sadly a lot of lock makers say ok we need a lock that can hold up to 30 seconds of repeated hammer strikes to get a little sticker and then 31 seconds rolls by and the lock is broken because they only needed to just barely pass the test and it is rated the same as a high quality locks. Foldylock in their video uses cheap bulk chain from Home Despot or some place similar and says our lock is stronger in their own video. Of course yes most things are more secure than cheap chains like that, that aren't lock chains and not really designed to stand up to much of any sort of attack because most folks aren't using it like that.
Old 08-11-19, 03:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Not even Abus can provide a key without a copy of the key or the key code. Youtubers seem to be able to break the Abus folding locks pretty easily, no matter who owns the company.
Old 08-22-19, 07:25 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57
Not even Abus can provide a key without a copy of the key or the key code. Youtubers seem to be able to break the Abus folding locks pretty easily, no matter who owns the company.
So Abus locks are no good?? Then what Lock is 🤷🏽*♂️
Old 08-22-19, 07:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
All locks are a compromise. Look at enough videos of bike locks being defeated and it's apparent that for most of us it's a waste of money to spend more than necessary.

I settled on a couple of decent, moderately priced On Guard and Kryptonite U-locks. The On Guard is a little heftier and the shackle is a little longer, so it goes on my hybrid/errand bike.

After removing the frame mount clip, the Kryptonite Mini-7 fits in a jeans pocket, inside the waistband of my baggy shorts, or even a jersey pocket with some sagging. I'll take it for some group rides if we plan on a restaurant or pub stop.

If I'm on a bike I don't want to lose, the bike goes with me or I don't go inside. Most of my bikes cost only $200 or so. They're good bikes and I wouldn't want to lose them. But I also don't want to worry so much or resign myself to an overpriced, under-performing lite-lock, or a lock that weighs as much as my carbon road bike.
Old 08-25-19, 06:53 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I hear ya! its about slowing the thief and making it more difficult...
Old 08-29-19, 05:39 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
An angle grinder will make the job easier. I had a key break off in a Kryptonite Evolution series IV. I went to Home Depot and rented a grinder, purchased the cut off wheel and went to down. Took a few minutes with sparks everyone (downtown Toronto at midnight), no one said a thing. Kryptonite even paid me for the rental and cut off wheel. They would have paid a "professional" to cut it off but it was faster for me to do it.

A friend had a Stokes lock, same deal, key wouldn't work, rented the angle grinder again, already owned the cut off wheel and cut it off. It was actually harder to cut than the Kryptonite. Then I bought my own angle grinder.

Yes, it is scary to cut around your frame, you don't want to slip. Be patient, cut a little a time, take rests in between and you will be done in no time. Good luck.
Old 02-06-22, 09:38 PM
curtinfamily

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had this happen to my Foldylock and I live in NYC. It snowed about a foot, then rained, then temperatures fells to about 8 degrees F. Lock mechanism would not turn. Used Wd40 not luck. Banged it to hell with a hammer, no luck. Then Wd40 again and it worked. The locking mechanism is operating smoother than ever now. Seems like the mechanism may have frozen or gotten dirty inside and stuck. Since the lock has no mechanism to keep water and dirt out, likely got jammed up. I use it to lock my front wheel of my VESPA for street parking and I liked the foldylock since I could fold it, put it in the storage compartment when I ride and lock it up where ever I want. I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see if they will replace it for me. I don't trust that this lock won't let me down again.
Old 02-06-22, 10:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

So you found a thread from 2019 and are posting that in bad weather the knockoff lock you bought to lock a gas powered vehicle had issues and now you are trying to get a replacement from the manufacturer for that? I am baffled this is a bike forum. Most bicycle locks aren't designed to be left outside and work with grit and grime and nasty weather all the time. No mechanical device is really going to handle that without some maintenance and even then really cold conditions with crud inside of it freezing and expanding it won't do so well.

Good luck I guess but I would just accept the facts of life and not bother the company over a lock probably left outside year round in a city.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-06-22, 10:09 PM
curtinfamily

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow,

Aggro Bro! Posted a reply hoping to help someone who might have the same issue with the Foldylock, not a knockoff.

it has a warranty bro! But enjoy your trolling.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
So you found a thread from 2019 and are posting that in bad weather the knockoff lock you bought to lock a gas powered vehicle had issues and now you are trying to get a replacement from the manufacturer for that? I am baffled this is a bike forum. Most bicycle locks aren't designed to be left outside and work with grit and grime and nasty weather all the time. No mechanical device is really going to handle that without some maintenance and even then really cold conditions with crud inside of it freezing and expanding it won't do so well.

Good luck I guess but I would just accept the facts of life and not bother the company over a lock probably left outside year round in a city.
Old 02-07-22, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by curtinfamily
Wow,

Aggro Bro! Posted a reply hoping to help someone who might have the same issue with the Foldylock, not a knockoff.

it has a warranty bro! But enjoy your trolling.
Ahh yes you missed it as you didn't notice that the thread was old and dormant for a while. It's ok. Foldylock is a knockoff of ABUS and their Bordo series which came out in 2004. Also never once mentioned my gender but using "bro" all the time is fun, for some, I guess? Also Vespa's are gas powered so not really bicycles in any sense other than two wheels though they do make the Apé which is three wheels. That is a large part of what raised my ire.

A lot of things have warranty. I literally deal with warranty bicycle stuff for a living, abuse is not warranty. If I leave something outside in the elements that was not designed to be in those elements like that all the time especially without maintenance, I am accepting the fact that I am not going to qualify for warranty. If it fails because of a manufacturer defect then yes, warranty, of course but human error not so much.

Maybe I was a bit harsh or it felt harsher than intended (it is text on the internet with no sense of emotion), but I do apologize. Welcome to the bike forums.
Old 02-07-22, 05:25 PM
philbob57

Bike locks are used out of doors, and they should be designed for out of doors conditions; that includes rain, snow, sleet, freezing temperatures, and long periods of protecting a bike between rides.

In researching locks, I ran across the lock-picking lawyer (you tube), so I have no faith in the folding locks. If you really want to protect your scooter from theft, the loss of this lock is probably a Good Thing.
Old 02-07-22, 05:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Looking at the original video, it looks like the key is sticking out more than many locks. Is it certain it was inserted all the way? Hopefully lube helped some.
In researching locks, I ran across the lock-picking lawyer (you tube), so I have no faith in the folding locks. If you really want to protect your scooter from theft, the loss of this lock is probably a Good Thing.
I don't believe many bike thieves are accomplished locksmiths.

There are some tricks that that they may use such as using a soda can to open a combo lock, or a plastic pen to open the vintage Kryptonite locks. But, I'm not convinced they are particularly adept at picking, especially if it is a variety of locks.

Cutting locks, however, is a major issue, with various bolt cutters, cable cutters, and battery grinders.
Old 02-07-22, 06:17 PM
philbob57

For example:
. My son could have picked this lock when he was 13. I did my research 3 years ago. At that point, he was able to get through some folding locks with shears. The Bordo 6500 required a nut-splitter and several minutes.
Old 02-07-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Keep in mind most thieves are not going to carry a nut splitting tool and when he did that it was not safe he had bits and pieces flying in all directions. Plus I have a feeling most of them who are taking bikes aren't adept at lock picking.
The Bordo Lite is designed for lighter duty protection. Hence the name and the lower security rating. Any lock can be defeated we all know that (or should) but if you can take their time and make it harder that is the way to go. I use a Bordo 6405 and a 5750 frame lock and trust it on my e-bike. Granted I still worry and in situations where I am locking for longer periods I would probably bring other locks (I have Bordo 6500, two Bordo Lite 6050s, a Granit Xplus 540 as well as a few other older non-ABUS locks if I need 'em)

I wouldn't leave my stuff locked up overnight though, that is just asking for trouble but with any lock or combination of locks I would still want to use smart locking practices and know the area somewhat and do my best. I may not outrun the bear but if I can outrun the next person trying to do so I should be in more decent shape.
Old 02-08-22, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Bike locks are used out of doors, and they should be designed for out of doors conditions; that includes rain, snow, sleet, freezing temperatures, and long periods of protecting a bike between rides.

As far as I can see LPL has never done a video on Foldylocks. He did find the Bordo 6500 provided a fair amount of security which, for him. is a pretty solid rating.

I've been using my Foldylocks Compact successfully for a couple years now as it's a hell of a lot easier to carry with me than a comparable U lock, so I totally disagree that it's "probably a Good Thing."
Old 02-08-22, 01:23 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
..... I've been using my Foldylocks Compact successfully for a couple years now as it's a hell of a lot easier to carry with me than a comparable U lock, so I totally disagree that it's "probably a Good Thing."
ditto Foldies are easy to carry and provide enough security to discourage or delay all but the most dedicated thieves
Old 02-13-22, 10:34 PM
johny24

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Wow this thread is still alive…

I ended using a kryptoonite lock, my second foldy lock ended up again not opening and in summer conditions last year not winter conditions. I never had a bike lock that sucked like the foldy lock.

So far my kryptonite lock has been good through snow and rain no issues
Likes For johny24:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.