Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you track your speed?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you track your speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 08:16 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Time for a commuter could vary based on probability of hitting lights green or red. But speed in between the stops would be valuable to define your optimal route to/from work or a frequent errand.

If you do it some 200 days a year, 200x even two minutes a day difference is a LOT of time back in your pocket.

Perhaps two routes are equally as safe and equal stoplight or waiting time probability, but one you track your speed on and you're 2mph faster due to less hills or whatever reason.

So long as you enable autopause, you'll get both total time for your commute AND your average speed along the moving parts. Without math of moving time versus total time if you don't. So then you can make informed decisions about which ways around town are faster.

I don't commute, but I research the safest/fastest way OUT of town to do training rides. Optimize my fun time out there. Instead of banging my head around just getting there, and back.
Old 03-31-22, 08:48 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
As a non-native English speaker, I get that you missed the point of my comment. My comment was self-depricating (making fun of my ignorance) because the guys are using terms beyond what I understand, hence "are you speaking English". They were. They know they were. I know they were. They know I know they were. It was just my sarcastic way of saying they were talking over my head.
"Deprecating," not "depricating."
Old 03-31-22, 09:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts

I've had some people argue that going down hill should even out the uphill parts but I assert that you never get back going down hill what you put in going up.
I had a guy on this forum try to argue that a hilly ride would equal out to or be as easy as a flat ride because the rider rests on the descents.

Personally, I stopped using a bike computer more than 20 years ago. In that time I have done over 2000 club rides with lots of red-lining and chasing and hammering and getting dropped and realizing I cannot follow people half my age and 3/4 my weight. It was fun while it lasted but I'll be 68 in a couple weeks.
Old 03-31-22, 03:24 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Comparing your own average speed from different days on the same route over time can have some value as a measure of progress. However, as pointed out, all the variables limits its value, and you shouldn’t get hung up on it.

The problem, I, and many others who have posted on this topic over the years, have is that focusing too much on average speed is counterproductive. In the most simplest way it discourages you from properly warming up and cooling down.

More importantly if your just focusing on average speed, you’ll ride at one steady pace which will after a short time not make you any faster.

The most basic way to get faster is doing intervals, and interval workouts do not result in high average speeds for those rides.

Thus ironically, focusing on your average speed, and your 20 mph goal is actually hurting your progress in obtaining that goal.

So, it’s fine to do your own time trial, and measure your average speed against your previous efforts. But if you want to get faster, forget about average speed for most of your rides, and focus,on doing intervals, and doing rides with people that are faster than you.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-01-22, 12:20 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
The schwa has got to be one of the most annoying things about the English language. Why have 5 different vowels (and sometimes 6) if they're all going to sound the same half the time?
Old 04-01-22, 06:36 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The schwa has got to be one of the most annoying things about the English language. Why have 5 different vowels (and sometimes 6) if they're all going to sound the same half the time?
It could be a lot worse - we could have inherited the grammatical gender from English's Germanic root and from all the Norman-French influences later. Never mind the loan-words from everything else.
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-01-22, 09:52 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

That's a fair thought, although I've always found it tough to work through all the variants in the ways "ough" ought to be pronounced. Just reading that sentence right now made me cough.
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-01-22, 10:08 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Spelling is not my forte. I generally look for the little red squiggly line. Saw it when I typed that but forgot to go back and correct it. Spell check has made us lazy.
English is a bear. I do feel for people who try to learn that are not native speakers. We have several different rules that originated from different languages like Latin, German and one other I can't recall right now. It's a wonder natives can master it, let alone anyone who started off with a language that has a universal structure.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-01-22, 10:25 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
It's a wonder natives can master it, let alone anyone who started off with a language that has a universal structure.
Most natives seem to have mastered pronunciation (per their respective regional dialects and/or accents) but not grammar or spelling.
Old 04-01-22, 10:30 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
It could be a lot worse - we could have inherited the grammatical gender from English's Germanic root and from all the Norman-French influences later. Never mind the loan-words from everything else.
Yeah. I do wonder how anyone who chooses a pronoun does so in other languages which have masculine and feminine versions of "they".
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-01-22, 11:02 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Yeah. I do wonder how anyone who chooses a pronoun does so in other languages which have masculine and feminine versions of "they".
In written French I've seen the neologistic pronoun "iel" which is derived from "il" and "elle." When spoken, it's one syllable so "il," "elle," and "iel" sound pretty similar and they don't mess up the cadence or tempo of speech.
Old 04-01-22, 11:45 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That's a fair thought, although I've always found it tough to work through all the variants in the ways "ough" ought to be pronounced. Just reading that sentence right now made me cough.
I bought a snack and sat on the bough, and thought thoroughly about howthat really ought to be less tough
Old 04-01-22, 04:12 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In written French I've seen the neologistic pronoun "iel" which is derived from "il" and "elle." When spoken, it's one syllable so "il," "elle," and "iel" sound pretty similar and they don't mess up the cadence or tempo of speech.
I've seen "elle" in Spanish, but I've never heard anyone actually use it.
Old 04-01-22, 04:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,893 Times in 6,093 Posts
I bought a snack and sat on the bough, and thought thoroughly about howthat really ought to be less tough
How did you manage through the drought? Any water in the trough?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-01-22, 05:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
How did you manage through the drought? Any water in the trough?
If the bough was made of cow, would Batman and Robin say kerpow?
Old 04-01-22, 05:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If the bough was made of cow, would Batman and Robin say kerpow?
Better question: did somebody finally manage to get LSD into the water supply?
Old 04-02-22, 01:52 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Most natives seem to have mastered pronunciation (per their respective regional dialects and/or accents) but not grammar or spelling.
That does tend to be a problem for me. I grew up in the South so we would often pronounce a word with an 'a' sound even if spelled with an 'e', or vice versa. Same thing with other vowel sounds. One of the reasons I have such a hard time with spelling. Always seem to be the vowels that get me.
Old 04-02-22, 06:20 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
Watching YT videos all day while i work from home I've been tracking some interesting vowel shifts in the US.

Not sure where the north-south boundary fro this is but it seems to be from Florida to California where the letter "o" is tending to be more nasal in words like nose, hose, etc. One guy I watch a lot of videos from Michigan is really pronounced but he's the only one from a northern State that I've regularly noticed.

Also funny to see a super-short word like "on" being said as differently as "awn" through "oh-wan"

But back to tracking speed... I would have to ride more to actually track it. If the cold/wet weather *ever* stops here I'll be back to tracking. 1 ride so far this year (I no longer ride when the roads are icy...)
Old 04-02-22, 06:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Watching YT videos all day while i work from home I've been tracking some interesting vowel shifts in the US.

Not sure where the north-south boundary fro this is but it seems to be from Florida to California where the letter "o" is tending to be more nasal in words like nose, hose, etc. One guy I watch a lot of videos from Michigan is really pronounced but he's the only one from a northern State that I've regularly noticed.

Also funny to see a super-short word like "on" being said as differently as "awn" through "oh-wan"
Oh boy, this is like an invitation for me to post a video from my man crush Erik Singer -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-02-22, 10:48 AM
VegasJen

But back to tracking speed... I would have to ride more to actually track it. If the cold/wet weather *ever* stops here I'll be back to tracking. 1 ride so far this year (I no longer ride when the roads are icy...)
I've always joked that the funny thing about the South is we can turn something as simple as "and" into a three syllable word. ae-un-duh
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 04-02-22, 11:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

That does tend to be a problem for me. I grew up in the South so we would often pronounce a word with an 'a' sound even if spelled with an 'e', or vice versa. Same thing with other vowel sounds. One of the reasons I have such a hard time with spelling. Always seem to be the vowels that get me.
That makes sense. In your earlier post, the problem with "deprecating" is that the second vowel sounds a schwa, and spelling it "depricating" would sound exactly the same. Growing up, I hated when I asked a teacher how to spell something and they would respond "sound it out". If I spelled all those words like they sounded, I'd be labeled a moron.
Old 04-03-22, 01:22 AM
VegasJen

That makes sense. In your earlier post, the problem with "deprecating" is that the second vowel sounds a schwa, and spelling it "depricating" would sound exactly the same. Growing up, I hated when I asked a teacher how to spell something and they would respond "sound it out". If I spelled all those words like they sounded, I'd be labeled a moron.
I have a serious issue with spelling that, to this day, I struggle with (I know, don't end a sentence with a preposition!). Even now, at 52, I want to spell things phonetically. When I'm rushing, I will still occasionally spell "of" ove. As I'm thinking about it right now, "of" is the only word that gives an F a V sound. Could be wrong about that, but it's the only one I can think of right now.

Now that I am thinking about it, it's kind of funny.
Can you imagine if the proper spelling of some words was lof (love), glof (glove), dof (dove)? Sounds really odd, but people don't even think about that F making a V sound in 'of'.
Old 04-03-22, 07:25 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I don’t care about average speed, there are too many variables. Wind, temperature, traffic, etc all have an impact. I’ve run the same route at 21.5mph one day and 18 two days later with roughly the same power.
Wind is my nemesis. It’s physically and mentally draining,
Old 04-03-22, 09:15 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by GBK233
Wind is my nemesis. It’s physically and mentally draining,
I agree. Here, the only thing worse than wind is the heat. But I already know not to expect to ride much in the summer. But the spring and fall can be so deceptive. Temps look OK, bright and sunny, feeling great. And then I get out there and I'm riding into a 30mph headwind.
Old 04-03-22, 09:21 PM
CoogansBluff

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I get that people think that average speed is a meaningless metric, but I'd argue that, outside of a race, most metrics are meaningless unless and until we ascribe some personal meaning to them. If someone pushes harder and improves their fitness or efficiency because they're trying to edge up over XX mph, then that's not at all meaningless - quite the opposite. Sure, there are a lot of factors that go in to average speed, and that makes it a horrible yardstick from region to region, person to person and sometimes even from day to day, but that doesn't mean that it can't be useful and motivating to people.

Well stated.

To hear some here tell it, it would be pointless to time a horse race. Sure, maybe the horse set a course record, but that doesn't mean anything. Maybe he had a tail wind, or maybe the track had perfect texture and firmness that day, or maybe the horse was just lucky to avoid traffic. Totally meaningless.

Just because there's more to the story doesn't mean something is meaningless. I check my average speed on every ride. It tells me a lot. For example, I know my PR on the 3-4 courses that I frequent. If I'm consistently 1 mph off those PR's, when I'm trying to go fast, them I'm pretty confident that I'm not as fit or fast as when I consistently challenged those PR's. And that helps me decide which group rides to join. What else should I be basing it on if not speed comparisons?
Likes For CoogansBluff:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.