Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mountain bike chain has multiple links broken

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-01-22, 02:47 PM
martinori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone, I'm new to mountain biking. Started last year with my new Norco HT 2.
But today morning when I was just installing and pushing pressure on a new pair of pedals on the ground. My chain brokes... I did not even use a lot of force.

At first, I thought it was some wear caused by impact or crash (I only had one crash). But later today I got a closer look and find out it has multiple links broken.
I just got the bike new at the end of last season. Only less than 200km on the bike. I'm only 160 lbs and I rarely shift under load.
Also, I maintain my drivetrain very well, clean it every 1-2 times of riding. I just don't understand how it can break in so many places.
See the picture attached, there are more than 10 breaking points. on Both sides. I marked them in red circles.

It is s KMC chain 11-speed chain, I suspect that there is something going wrong here. Please any advice or recommendation could be helpful. I don't want to keep breaking chains.
Old 05-01-22, 02:48 PM
martinori

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry just realized I can't post photos yet.
Old 05-01-22, 02:59 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Where is the bike kept? anywhere that is close to any chemicals, pool cleaner or similar?, you say you clean it, what with?

Would be trying to identify what caused the issue, multiple links failing suggests something is corroding/eating away the chain, and eliminate this, then replace, as realistically more hassle than it's worth to try and chase any warranty for a relatively cheap consumable item that is used even though it only has a little use, it is as you say more than 4 months old, if not 16 months depending on when you purchased the bike last year.
Old 05-01-22, 03:12 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Pic assist for new member @martinori !!!
Welcome aboard!
Old 05-01-22, 03:19 PM
martinori

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimc101
Where is the bike kept? anywhere that is close to any chemicals, pool cleaner or similar?, you say you clean it, what with?

Would be trying to identify what caused the issue, multiple links failing suggests something is corroding/eating away the chain, and eliminate this, then replace, as realistically more hassle than it's worth to try and chase any warranty for a relatively cheap consumable item that is used even though it only has a little use, it is as you say more than 4 months old, if not 16 months depending on when you purchased the bike last year.
It was kept in my living room. So no cold and hot changes...And I used park tool cleaner to clean it. I'm thinking if some drive train parts could cause this. Like cassettes.
And the bike is about 10 months old. Purchased at the start of August.
Thank you by the way!
Old 05-01-22, 03:19 PM
martinori

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you very much!!
Old 05-01-22, 03:23 PM
FBOATSB

I have never seen a chain crack up like that, so I can be of no help to you but there is a KMC rep that is a member here that occasionally chimes in (I can't remember their username). Pretty sure they would be interested to see this thread.
Old 05-01-22, 03:35 PM
FBOATSB

That's a very nice photograph by the way.
Old 05-01-22, 03:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've never in my life seen a chain fail like that. My guess is counterfeit chain.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-01-22, 03:59 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. That’s a really clear photo.
2. That is not normal.
3. Unless you kept you chain hear a hydrogen source or an acid (which probably would have also rusted it), I doubt this was caused by anything you did.
4. I’m leaning toward a very uncommon manufacturing defect. While I would inform the manufacturer, I would also go buy another chain, change it out, and not worry about it. You might get a free chain from the manufacturer, but the real reason to report it is so they are aware of any potential batch/recall concern. A chain broken without warning can result in injury, just as a chain jumping off the gears can.

Edit: when you clean your chain do you leave it soaking in concentrated cleaner for a long period of time, or do you just clean it quickly, dry, the relubricate? Simple Green is the common villain, but soaking in cleaners that end up acidic will cause problems.

Last edited by jccaclimber; 05-01-22 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 05-01-22, 04:52 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Simple Green will do that.
Old 05-01-22, 05:27 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I have never seen a chain crack up like that, so I can be of no help to you but there is a KMC rep that is a member here that occasionally chimes in (I can't remember their username). Pretty sure they would be interested to see this thread.
Papa Ado is the man and the correct spelling although the OP can't contact him through Bike Forums until he gets 10 posts....I think. Anyways, send KMC an email with a photo and see what they say. Could be counterfeit or just a manufacturing fart but KMC is very good with customer service. There was a rash of some KMC chains with this problem a few years ago but not heard any other problems since then.
Old 05-01-22, 05:40 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. ...when you clean your chain do you leave it soaking in concentrated cleaner for a long period of time, or do you just clean it quickly, dry, the relubricate? Simple Green is the common villain, but soaking in cleaners that end up acidic will cause problems.
Originally Posted by trailangel
This is an interesting point. I've heard of Simple Green doing this, but I can't remember why. I hope OP responds to this point.
Old 05-01-22, 06:28 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Back around 2005 or so, Wippermann had a bad batch of chains with stainless sideplates that cracked like that.
Old 05-01-22, 06:31 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I'm interested in how this works. A quick Google search seems to indicate that Simple Green is not particularly corrosive to metals. Even if it *were* corrosive, the links on that chain don't look corroded at all.
Old 05-01-22, 06:33 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
I'm interested in how this works. A quick Google search seems to indicate that Simple Green is not particularly corrosive to metals. Even if it *were* corrosive, the links on that chain don't look corroded at all.
I've used Simple Green for years with an ultrasonic cleaner, on all kinds of bike parts, (including chains), and I've never had anything crack.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 05-01-22, 06:36 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Back around 2005 or so, Wippermann had a bad batch of chains with stainless sideplates that cracked like that.
The image looks much more consistent with a problem with the metal, irrespective of any chemical exposure. Could the cracks seen in the image have been caused by the insertion of the pins in the side plates? Perhaps the metal was too brittle.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-01-22, 07:33 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Not saying this is what happened to OP's chain, but people have experienced it happening.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...imple-green-2/
Old 05-01-22, 08:16 PM
sweeks

Not saying this is what happened to OP's chain, but people have experienced it happening.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...imple-green-2/
I appreciate that. However, correlation and causation are different things, and care must be taken not to conflate them.
In order for the Simple Green exposure to cause the failure in this case, it seems to me that would have to make the metal more brittle by a non-corrosive method.
This may be possible if the chain is immersed for long periods, but the OP used a Park Tool cleaner, which would only result in brief exposure.
Old 05-01-22, 08:21 PM
martinori

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. That’s a really clear photo.
2. That is not normal.
3. Unless you kept you chain hear a hydrogen source or an acid (which probably would have also rusted it), I doubt this was caused by anything you did.
4. I’m leaning toward a very uncommon manufacturing defect. While I would inform the manufacturer, I would also go buy another chain, change it out, and not worry about it. You might get a free chain from the manufacturer, but the real reason to report it is so they are aware of any potential batch/recall concern. A chain broken without warning can result in injury, just as a chain jumping off the gears can.

Edit: when you clean your chain do you leave it soaking in concentrated cleaner for a long period of time, or do you just clean it quickly, dry, the relubricate? Simple Green is the common villain, but soaking in cleaners that end up acidic will cause problems.
That's good to know. I was worried something on my bike was not installed correctly...
And I only used park tool chain cleaner with their degreaser. And never soaked it. Actually, I never took off the chain. Basically, I spay it(not high pressure..), wash it with chain cleaner, and dry it with a mob, wait for drying, relubricate, remove excessive lubricates.
Old 05-01-22, 08:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No, it won't. At least not in this case.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-01-22, 08:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
My first thought also. Long soakings of high strength steels does exactly that. (Don't know the chemical process. Engineering background but just sophomore metallurgy long before Simple Green.)
Old 05-01-22, 09:28 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
No, it won't. At least not in this case.
We can debate the concentration and soak time, but the standard Simple Green can cause hydrogen embrittlement in steels, leading to this sort of failure:
https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/fi...SA_2000-01.pdf
Old 05-01-22, 09:34 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
It may be that soaking in Simple Green can ruin chains, but the OP stated in post #20 that he hasn't used SG or soaked his chain in anything. There is some other issue going on here.
Old 05-01-22, 09:50 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
That’s definitely a weird one. My suspicion if something like this turned up at work would be a problem with the batch of steel. It’s hardly your fault. Throw it away and buy a new one and forget about it. Unless you think the effort you were going to put in to get a $20 replacement chain is worth $20.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.