Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is triple butted better than double butted?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is triple butted better than double butted?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 09:24 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I stopped at 8.
Chains are cheaper that way.
Nine is the sweet spot. Easier to find components because 9 was "top dog" for longer - hence more available.
Old 07-22-22, 09:29 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Nine is the sweet spot. Easier to find components because 9 was "top dog" for longer - hence more available.
If you ignore indexing, 8 speed cog sets and chains are readily availabe and less expensive
Old 07-22-22, 11:32 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
Does anyone have any information on the Moron tube sets that I believe were used by Kona?
Old 07-22-22, 12:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
In '84, Fuji marketed several mid-level VALite models as quad-butted. I had one, a Club Fuji. I wasn't impressed. Felt dead to me. Their really nice bikes that year (Opus, Pro, Team) were also considered quad-butted, but they were Chromoly.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-22-22, 12:18 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Does anyone have any information on the Moron tube sets that I believe were used by Kona?
If memory serves, Ibis used "Moron" tubing which was a jab at the Columbus "Genius" tubing of the time. Their tubing had slightly longer butting for the MTB's or rougher applications. Ibis always had fun names for things like their hand job cable stop.
Old 07-22-22, 12:22 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
In '84, Fuji marketed several mid-level VALite models as quad-butted. I had one, a Club Fuji. I wasn't impressed. Felt dead to me. Their really nice bikes that year (Opus, Pro, Team) were also considered quad-butted, but they were Chromoly.
Valite was pretty pointless to me.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-22-22, 01:17 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Interesting. I had an '85 Fuji Sagress that was "only" triple-butted VALite, and I thought it was a very lively yet comfortable ride.
Old 07-22-22, 01:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
All else being equal, the bike made with triple- vs double-butted tubing will be lighter, and perhaps more compliant.
I have read about tubesets where the triple butted tubing is heavier than double butted due to one of the ends of the triple butted tubing being thicker. So .9/.5/.8 vs .8/.5/.8 for example.

On a related note, my modern steel 853 gravel frame has a downtube that uses 853 DZB which stands for 'double zonal butted' and it is, ironically, quad butted since there are 3 different measurements. But its 2 zones of butting so double zonal. 2x2 apparently doesnt equal 4 for Reynolds. Its 1/.8/.5/.8 and allows the elimination of a gusset at the head tube since it is effectively internally gusseted with that beefy end butted against the head tube.
Super nice bike and indestructible, given the tubing hardness and thickness. Also not the lightest thing ever made as a result.
Old 07-22-22, 02:07 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Valite was pretty pointless to me.
VALite (and the other carbon-manganese steels) were far from pointless. It was almost as strong as chromium-molybdenum, so the main tubes could be butted and produce tubesets that were much lighter than hi-tensile steel and only slightly heavier than chromium-molybedenum alloys. Yet it was more tolerant of brazing temperatures, so it was suitable for automated mass production, resulting in a substantial reduction of frame manufacturing costs over chromium-molybedenum. Carbon-manganese steels were instrumental in allowing manufacturers introduce lightweight frames at a lower price point.
Old 07-22-22, 02:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
If memory serves, Ibis used "Moron" tubing which was a jab at the Columbus "Genius" tubing of the time. Their tubing had slightly longer butting for the MTB's or rougher applications. Ibis always had fun names for things like their hand job cable stop.
Yeah, Ibis folks had fun naming things. The other part of the "Moron" tubing was that it had "more on" the ends (i.e. double-butted),

Also, don't forget the toe jam pump peg (a miniature foot with a slightly exaggerated big toe) or the Hakkalugi frame (say it out loud).

Last edited by bikingshearer; 07-23-22 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 04:43 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
The Marketing Of Bicycle Tubing

"You people are so superstitious... I don't know why you people seem to think this is magic. It's just this little chromium switch here."

In the original sense of the term "Double Butted" only 2 tubes were butted at both ends: the top tube and the down tube. In the early 70's marketoids got carried away with the Double Butted concept leaving many to believe that all the tubes on a frame were butted at both ends. For whatever reason, the Japanese tube makers started providing seat tubes that were Double Butted - maybe because they figured they could lower costs by using the same tube for the seat and down tubes???

From a 1980 Reynolds brochure. Red text is my comments.

Reynolds wasn't truthful about their fork blades - they made them BOTH ways with a thicker "Taper Gauge" bottom section and with a uniform thickness! (Columbus & Super Vitus blades were uniform thickness)This production drawing shows these fork blades were made from 18/21 Gauge - 1.25mm x 0.8mm thick drawn to a uniform wall thickness! Later high performance Reynolds blades like 753, 653, 531C & 531P were 1.0mm x 0.5mm thick.

This shows the Taper Gauge Wall thicknesses of older blades.

The process of producing internal butted ends uses mandrels with gradual tapers rather than abrupt changes in angles. The mandrels last longer that way. Reynolds' butting process.

Marketing games aside, there becomes a point of declining returns! MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER! In the words of P.T. Barnum "There's a sucker born every minute"

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 07-22-22 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-22-22, 05:09 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
VALite (and the other carbon-manganese steels) were far from pointless. It was almost as strong as chromium-molybdenum, so the main tubes could be butted and produce tubesets that were much lighter than hi-tensile steel and only slightly heavier than chromium-molybedenum alloys. Yet it was more tolerant of brazing temperatures, so it was suitable for automated mass production, resulting in a substantial reduction of frame manufacturing costs over chromium-molybedenum. Carbon-manganese steels were instrumental in allowing manufacturers introduce lightweight frames at a lower price point.
I should not have been so harsh I suppose, the 1 Fuji valite frame I set up for my son when he was young was quite uninspiring. A sekai 500 felt better. Maybe we just didn't know what we were playing with.
Old 07-23-22, 09:33 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 543 Posts
Is chocolate ice cream better than vanilla? Is “sparkling wine” better than Champagne?

Hopefully you get the jib of my jab….
Old 07-24-22, 08:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

You couldn't be as harsh as the VALite frame I had. 👎

Good thing the Club Fuji finally went to chromoly.

Looking at the '88 catalog, Fuji used VALite on one low-level bike only available in a tall 27" size. All models above that used chromoly tubes.
That was our take on it.
Old 07-24-22, 11:14 AM
Jeff Neese

You couldn't be as harsh as the VALite frame I had. 👎

Good thing the Club Fuji finally went to chromoly.

Looking at the '88 catalog, Fuji used VALite on one low-level bike only available in a tall 27" size. All models above that used chromoly tubes.
There must be significant differences in geometry between the Club Fuji, and the Sagres that I had and restored. The Sagres was classified as a "Sport Touring" bike and was a very nice, compliant and lively triple-butted VALite frame. I sold that bike, but it was a joy to ride. I'm always on the lookout for a Del Rey from that era, made with quad-butted VALite.

Chromium-molybdenum and chromium-vanadium (VALite) are very similar in properties and if you built two identical frames, you'd have a hard time telling them apart in a double-blind test. You could say the same about frames made with 4130 chromoly vs Reynolds 531, or most of the high-end tubing. It's as much about geometry and tube configuration (thickness, butting) as it is the specific alloy.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-24-22, 08:21 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
All this tubing insight is very interesting, but does anyone know the tubing secrets of the Peugeot UO-8? Published data seem to be missing, and it looks like perhaps nobody has tried to reverse engineer it and lived. A Mafia Francois?

The one I built up is a nice-riding frame with decent handling if not pushed too hard I do know they could not take much gravel-pit jumping, but seen to have been stable and reliable when used to ride from place to place, even if sometimes loaded down with racks fenders, and full panniers and a handlebar bag.

We tend to say derisively “it’s just gaspipe,” and that may be because the tubing details seen to hide in the words “tubing allege,” but they seem certainly to be lighter then contemporary Schwinn Varsities, Continentals, Raleigh Grand Prix, and even lower Carlton frames like the straight 531 Super Courses of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 07-25-22, 02:39 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Has no one mentioned the famous "magnificent 7" (Mondonico) blind test yet? IIRC, the Aelle straight gauge frame got positive reviews, some riders preferred it over the sophisticated x-times butted sorts. It also was concluded that the differences were super minor in terms of how the bike felt on the road.
Likes For martl:
Old 07-25-22, 03:49 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Tubing Wall Thickness

Originally Posted by Road Fan
All this tubing insight is very interesting, but does anyone know the tubing secrets of the Peugeot UO-8? Published data seem to be missing, and it looks like perhaps nobody has tried to reverse engineer it and lived. A Mafia Francois?
Nothing secret, just plain seamed carbon steel tubing. See below for more details....

The one I built up is a nice-riding frame with decent handling if not pushed too hard I do know they could not take much gravel-pit jumping, but seen to have been stable and reliable when used to ride from place to place, even if sometimes loaded down with racks fenders, and full panniers and a handlebar bag.
The geometry of entry level and lower priced French bikes during the early 70's was pretty much the same as that used for road racing bikes from the 30's through the late 60's. They were designed for use on poorly paved roads to absorb shock and vibration. By the early 70's many road racing bikes were following the Italian model: shorter wheelbases and fork rakes plus steeper angles. By the mid to late 70's the lower price French bikes followed suit. UO-8s never changed that much.

Those geometry specs applied to mid size frames - 55-60cm. Smaller and larger frame sizes handled differently.

We tend to say derisively “it’s just gaspipe,” and that may be because the tubing details seem to hide in the words “tubing allege,” but they seem certainly to be lighter then contemporary Schwinn Varsities, Continentals, Raleigh Grand Prix, and even lower Carlton frames like the straight 531 Super Courses of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s.
I'm tired and it's late... To be continued...

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 07-25-22, 04:54 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Moron was used by Ibis, to make fun of the tubing names and marketing.
Old 07-25-22, 05:06 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
Has no one mentioned the famous "magnificent 7" (Mondonico) blind test yet? IIRC, the Aelle straight gauge frame got positive reviews, some riders preferred it over the sophisticated x-times butted sorts. It also was concluded that the differences were super minor in terms of how the bike felt on the road.
But I don't think it is as simple as that. In the 80's and 90s's, the difference between a steel and aluminum bike was major. Aluminum got its reputation as being harsh and stiff because the bikes of those day were harsh and stiff.

Today, aluminum has gotten much closer to the ride of steel or other bikes. Honestly, the ride of most bikes today are similar - in part driven by the move to 28+ tires and carbon seat posts and handlebars- but also because people have figured out how to make any bike feel similar (or the way they want).

I think the key thing with that test, and which is noted in that article and highlighted by the person who first uploaded it, is that the builder has the biggest impact on any bike, even more than the material.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-25-22, 05:28 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I stopped at 8.
Chains are cheaper that way.
Amen. I’m not good enough to adjust to the subtleties of 11 speeds...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 07-25-22, 05:29 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
But I don't think it is as simple as that. In the 80's and 90s's, the difference between a steel and aluminum bike was major. Aluminum got its reputation as being harsh and stiff because the bikes of those day were harsh and stiff.

Today, aluminum has gotten much closer to the ride of steel or other bikes. Honestly, the ride of most bikes today are similar - in part driven by the move to 28+ tires and carbon seat posts and handlebars- but also because people have figured out how to make any bike feel similar (or the way they want).
Yep Aluminum lost a lot of its E Module over the years
The reason Aluminum frames were perceived to be stiff was that everyone looked at them and said "thats gotta be stiff". Also, they came with Cosmic style wheels and 10 bar 20mm tires, and people hopped on them coming from a lugged steel frame with 32 spoke tubulars. That steel frame, of course, possibly ridden soft by countless hours of relentless pedal stomping.
Old 07-25-22, 05:49 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I should not have been so harsh I suppose, the 1 Fuji valite frame I set up for my son when he was young was quite uninspiring. A sekai 500 felt better. Maybe we just didn't know what we were playing with.
It was your/your son's bicycle and therefore a valid opinion. It just didn't suit what he was looking for, in a bicycle, at that time. A lot of that will come to the designer's intent and extends beyond the tubeset, particularly to the geometry and wheeset. So don't be so harsh on yourself. However, while your particular experience with VALite wasn't positive, it (and its carbon-manganese brethen) had an important impact on the bicycle industry in the early 1980s.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-25-22, 07:28 AM
T-Mar

We tend to say derisively “it’s just gaspipe,” and that may be because the tubing details seen to hide in the words “tubing allege,” but they seem certainly to be lighter then contemporary Schwinn Varsities, Continentals, Raleigh Grand Prix, and even lower Carlton frames like the straight 531 Super Courses of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s.
In my experience (primarily racing frames). I always found the French frames to be lighter and more flexible. I've always put that down to the metric standard tubing and their affinity for light weight. For a given alloy and gauge, the smaller diameter, metric standard, down and seat tubes are going to be less stiff. That will be compensated somewhat by the slightly larger diameter and stiffer top tube but overall, the main triangle is going to be more flexible and marginally lighter. Pair that with slightly lighter gauge tubes, as the French were prone to, and it resulted in a frame that was notably lighter but also notably more flexible.

Of course, if you didn't push the frames too hard, that increased flexibility could become a positive resiliency. However, for me, the lower weight and increased flexibilty resulted in a frame that was a bit more vague and less precise in handling, slightly less responsive to pedal input and having a higher probability of chain rub on the front derailleur cage. Overall, I preferred the characterisitcs of frames buit with imperial standard tubing. I was willing to sacrifice a bit of weight and comfort for a stiffer, more precise handling frame.

A lot of members comment on the wonderfully comfortable UO8 ride, if that is the characteristic to which you are referring. While the geometry is certianly a factor, I believe that the the French preference for lighter tubing gauges carry over to the UO8 level and that it, combined with the metric standard tubing are significant factors. I'd go so far as to say that entry level, boom era, French bicycles in general (ie. Peugeot, Gitane, Jeunet, Mercier, Motobecane, etc.) provide a plusher ride than their comtemporaries that used imperial standard tubing.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-25-22, 08:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by vespasianus

I think the key thing with that test, and which is noted in that article and highlighted by the person who first uploaded it, is that the builder has the biggest impact on any bike, even more than the material.
All of my bikes are high-end steel frames. We take our bikes with us when we travel by car, but if we fly somewhere we just rent something. I've never met an aluminum bike that I liked. Then I get back home and ride one of my bikes, and think "Ahh. Home sweet home." There is no way any aluminum frame feels as nice to ride as a high-end, lightweight, lugged steel frame. I agree that geometry is a huge part of it, but I've been on different types and flavors of aluminum bikes, and like I said, I never met one I liked.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with aluminum bikes. They're far cheaper to produce which brings the price down and lets more people get into cycling. And the average consumer is not sensitive to the nuances of ride quality or handling - they consider it a "good bike" if the brakes work and the tires hold air. Aluminum is good enough for the mass market. And of course, in the high-performance category aluminum is the "poor man's carbon", right? There are some decently high-end bikes that have aluminum frames.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 07-25-22 at 09:30 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.