Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I bricked my Ultegra DI2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I bricked my Ultegra DI2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-22, 10:17 PM
72andsunny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I bricked my Ultegra DI2

I didn’t know this was a thing. But it all stopped working.

The bike is a 2017, I think. 11 speed Ultegra di2.

With a little help from the internet, I downloaded E-Tube Project for windows (version 3.4.5 which is supposed to be compatible with my setup). I did a firm ware update, which got everything working again except the left (front shifter). E-Tube does not recognize it. There’s a popup that tells me to connect the missing component directly into the computer. I see some references to there being a port to do this on the shifter, but for the life of me, I don’t see anything.

I believe the left shifter is ST-6870-L. Please help me avoid the bike shop and/or buying a new shifter.
Old 07-20-22, 06:02 AM
jad3675

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I think you'll need a SM-PCE02 to connect directly to the shifter and recover it.
Old 07-20-22, 07:22 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Not uncommon to see connection issues. Let us know what fixes it.

Not even able to connect mine on my MacBook because st*pid Shimano, multi millionaire company, don't want to spend money on a Mac version of the app. SRAM is 10000% better.

Last edited by eduskator; 07-20-22 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-20-22, 11:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Double check all the wire connections between that shifter and everything else. When plugging in those wires you need to make sure you feel two clicks. Otherwise they might leave you experiencing issues like this. Helps to have the Shimano tool to remove and install the wires. A bike shop probably has many laying around and might just give you one. Or they might sell it to you.

If the shifter's wire goes off into never never land of your bike, and you have or can disconnect a wire from other stuff, then connect it to the shifter and to the junction box your charger or BCR2 connects to. Then you at least can be more certain somethin is up with the shifter.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-20-22, 02:43 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Not uncommon to see connection issues. Let us know what fixes it.

Not even able to connect mine on my MacBook because st*pid Shimano, multi millionaire company, don't want to spend money on a Mac version of the app. SRAM is 10000% better.
Nah Sram isn't any better. Lots of folk have problems with Srams firmware updates. I lost my front derailluer to an update. Cost me $250.00 to replace it
Old 07-21-22, 04:17 PM
72andsunny

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bike shop had it overnight and said it worked with a new shifter: $150. Asked again if they can plug directly into R-Tube for diagnostics. He said they’d try.

I see Shimano makes (or made) spare parts for these and I can buy either a bracket or the lever for around $75. Not sure which is causing the problem, but I’d guess it’s the bracket.
Old 07-22-22, 12:14 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Nah Sram isn't any better. Lots of folk have problems with Srams firmware updates. I lost my front derailluer to an update. Cost me $250.00 to replace it
That's why I never do updates for my AXS system, nor do I use the app (I tried both, but quit while I was ahead, and haven't updated anything for 6+ months). But I'm a pretty basic user: no power meter, no blips, tried and didn't like the enhanced shifting. Just shifting please and I can do the micro adjustments with the buttons and paddles like God intended!
Old 07-22-22, 06:46 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Unbelievable to see that the 2 biggest groupset manufacturers in the world aren't able to invest in R&D to have good applications.
Old 07-24-22, 07:53 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Bikes: IF Crown Jewel, Lugged Columbus SLX Serotta

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Issues with electronics cost a TDF rider dearly in the last time trial yesterday. Went into "crash" mode and he had to change bikes.

I don't think I'll ever be buying a bike or group with electronics.
Likes For Recycled Cycler:
Old 07-24-22, 01:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
Issues with electronics cost a TDF rider dearly in the last time trial yesterday. Went into "crash" mode and he had to change bikes.

You must be a noob to watching the TdF. Before electronic shifting you use to see more shifting issues with the old cable pulled stuff in the TdF and other pro races.
Old 07-24-22, 01:53 PM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

Noob? I was in at least one race (that I can remember) with Steve Bauer in it. Do you know of Steve Bauer? Canadian who won a stage in a TDF in the 80's. I think he may now be one of the TDF team's director.

Originally Posted by Iride01
You must be a noob to watching the TdF. Before electronic shifting you use to see more shifting issues with the old cable pulled stuff in the TdF and other pro races.

Last edited by Recycled Cycler; 07-24-22 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-25-22, 04:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Noob? I was in at least one race (that I can remember) with Steve Bauer in it. Do you know of Steve Bauer? Canadian who won a stage in a TDF in the 80's. I think he may now be one of the TDF team's director.
I do know of Steve Bauer. Doesn't mean anything for the conversation though. Thinking back through all the years back to Steve Bauer's era, there have been way more failures of cable pulled DR's than electronic in the tours and grand tours.

If you prefer cable pulled I'm okay with that. My cable pulled 105 5800 shifted very smoothly and did chainring shifts almost simultaneously with the 2 shifts required on the rear much more fluidly than my Ultegra Di2. But my Di2 has required no maintenace. My 105 5800 needed some tweaking once or twice a year to keep it piss perfect.

I just felt your comment was unreasonable fear mongering. 1 failure doesn't mean anything.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-25-22, 06:36 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by 72andsunny
Bike shop had it overnight and said it worked with a new shifter:
Hopefully you can get it sorted easily enough.

They're not for everyone. Purists will always push back against it. Sure it's not "necessary" but it's pretty good tech. In around 40,000km worth of riding using Di2 (10, 11, and 12-speed versions) it's never once dropped a chain, skipped a shift, gone into crash mode, had a battery die, or otherwise caused me any issue. Almost maintenance-free.

That said, in similar mileage I've hardly had any issues with my mechanical shifting bikes either. Only one broken cable, a couple of dropped chains (likely my own fault). I do love the feel of a perfectly set up mechanical groupset. 👌 On my time trial bike though? Di2 all the way.
Old 07-26-22, 09:09 AM
Recycled Cycler
Old Worn Treads

My sister's new bike has it. She loves it. But for me - recreational/ fitness 66 year old rider - straight mechanical works fine for me. If I found a bike to buy that had electronic shifting it would not cause me to pass on the bike, but I'm a happy old dude with mechanical Campy.
Old 07-26-22, 09:28 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
There is a certain irony here that all the suggested fixes for an electronic shifting issue involve attaching a cable.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 07-26-22, 10:04 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 1,352 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
There is a certain irony here that all the suggested fixes for an electronic shifting issue involve attaching a cable.
??? It could only be "ironic" if it was "wirelsss".

Ultegra DI2 from 2017 uses "cables" normally.
Likes For njkayaker: