Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Said I Would Never EVER Buy An E-Bike...but

Old 07-27-22, 06:44 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I wouldn't mind having an e-bike rider pace me up a hill,

or let me draft them along a flat section,

or give me a lead-out before a sprint.

In fact, I've experienced all three situations.
Me, too, but only with riders I know.
One day on a steep climb I was struggling more than usual and a friend who has one of those monster Trek cruiser looking things came up and pushed me for a while. It made my back hurt, I think because they way I had to twist against the torque.

I've had riders on regular bikes push me before and even had a guy on foot push me on Balcom Canyon during the ATOC and never had that pain.

Hey! Maybe I should get an e-bike?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-28-22, 09:08 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Hey! Maybe I should get an e-bike?
The only personal reason I can think of for an e-bike is when age has made me so slow that I can't keep up with my ride buddies.

Hopefully, that day is many years away.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-28-22, 09:28 AM
big john

The only personal reason I can think of for an e-bike is when age has made me so slow that I can't keep up with my ride buddies.

My club rides are more difficult than years ago and I have had issues with a-fib. Plus I went from being one of the younger riders to one of the older ones since I joined the club in 1989. New people come in and want to go fast. The last couple years a small group of us has formed and we stay together. Last Saturday I went with the faster group and after I got done sniveling and whining I actually had a fun time. I was not last, so that was nice.

If I had a motor I probably could have stayed near the front, but is that what I want to do? I don't know. If I could just get 10 years younger....
Old 07-28-22, 10:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
If I could just get 10 years younger....
If you figure that one out, sign me up!

Old 07-31-22, 08:38 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Ebikes are not bicycles and there is a sub forum for discussion of this mode of recreation/transportation. Imagine a person that doesn't have the stamina or strength to climb Mt. Whitney, so they get to use a small, treaded, one person tractor so that they can get up the hill. Or how about an old fisherman who no longer can cast his flyrod due to old worn-out shoulders and bad eyes so he can't see the end of his fly line so he is allowed to use bait on fly only catch and release water. Sheeshe!!!! That 50+ is an acceptable place to normalize motor bike -- bicycle equivalence is pretty gross.
Old 07-31-22, 07:09 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I am saddened to watch young people zipping by on the bike path, thumbs fully engaging the throttle while holding a phone to their face in the other hand. I feel like they are missing out on the thrill and exhilaration of getting from Point A to point B on their own pedal power, and I resent that they seem to be looking down on me and my old-fashioned pedal bike as they leave me in the dust on trails I've been riding since before they were born.
In 16,000 miles on a e bike the only time I have seen teenagers on a e bike using throttle only and talking on a cell phone were Amish. In Amish country, throttle only and high-powered illegal e bikes are the norm.
Old 07-31-22, 07:31 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Sounds like small watt numbers of assist, at first glance... But, on my average rides when I ride 100Km+ I use 420 watts/100Km= 4.2 watts per Km, 7 watts /mile. Those numbers should tell you something about how much assist you are "actually" using compared to an 350 watt E-Assist bicycle...
I do not believe that you quite understand so I will give you a visual. You still think I am not putting enough in? 350 watts won't move it where I go.

medium load grades up to 20%

Rolling resistance over 400 watts.
Old 08-01-22, 07:54 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
ebikes have pushed me off the MU trails and on to single track. Im sure they are there too but not as much. Push bikes are indeed an exercise machine. Ive never felt better since giving up beer and pushing myself hard with my all arounder....

Last edited by boozergut; 08-01-22 at 08:01 AM.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 08-01-22, 05:23 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Bought a Class 2/3 for the girlfriend at the house here in Denver, she always wanted to ride with me and even my quickly approaching seventy, on my Waterford RS33 Campy Record, there’s no way she could keep up on her conventional bike. NOW… she blows past me, especially on the uphill pulls! I flashed the Class 3 speed setting to her bike and she’s grinning from ear to ear. Having been riding motorcycles my whole life, the EBike is a kin to them. I prefer the endorphins workouts… she likes the speed and ability to ride with me. Enjoy whatever floats your boat! 😉
Old 08-03-22, 09:03 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Haven’t followed all the thread but my $.02 after living in a very hilly rural area after converting my bike to midrive is that I love it. The conversion coincided with losing lots of weight so I can ride up some of the hills I could not before on my other bikes and if I want to zip around to do chores or go to town I can. The Bafang BBSHD does make the bike more like a 1 1/2 hp motorcycle than an assisted bicycle.
Old 08-06-22, 02:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I've been hearing that the automotive industry is dropping large investment money into eBike designs.
So on one hand, lots of money buys creativity and novel solutions.
On the other hand, what do car companies know about bikes?
And on the third hand, I predict a lot of new regulations to account for all the new types of eBike products that walk the line between bikes and motor vehicles.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-07-22, 08:23 AM
big john

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I've been hearing that the automotive industry is dropping large investment money into eBike designs.
And on the third hand, I predict a lot of new regulations to account for all the new types of eBike products that walk the line between bikes and motor vehicles.
Automotive companies have already spent money doing R&D on electric drive systems, energy storage, regenerative braking, and charging systems, partly because of mandates for zero emission vehicles.

I worked at a Chevrolet dealer in the service dept. and was electric car certified in 2010. The technology advanced in the years before I retired and I'm sure it will keep advancing. Much of what was learned would be applicable to e-bikes and e-motorcycles.
Old 08-07-22, 11:06 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Much of what was learned would be applicable to e-bikes and e-motorcycles.
Right - batteries and transmissions - no doubt auto companies are the ones who have and can advance this tech.
Frame angles and BB heights... not so much.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 08-10-22, 02:55 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Yea, I have to agree. And there is a part of me that doesn't much like that.

I love bicycles. They are elegant devices that are designed to be as efficient as possible with human motive energy, and that results in some really interesting engineering solutions. Carbon frames are extraordinarily stiff and can be fabricated into all manner of shapes that allow compliance in some directions and much less compliance in others. Wheels are designed to be extraordinarily lightweight, while very strong. And when it all comes together, you get a machine that is truly an engineering marvel, and makes the most of whatever energy a person can put into it.

Not so much with ebikes ... or at least most of them I see in my hood. There is really no point in making frames light ... just add more power to the motor and more capacity to the battery. Not a lot of point in making them both compliant in some direction and stiff in others ... just make them out of straight gauge steel, and add a padded seat or shocks. Some of the ones in my hood are really large mini bikes with electric motors and pedals added as an afterthought. And the companies making most of those ebikes are not bicycle companies ... so the bicycle companies are not really benefitting all that much from the sales of ebikes ... again, if the ones I see in my hood are any example.

The design tradeoffs are all askew when a motor is added to the mix. I guess that is just the way it is.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-10-22, 06:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Yea, I have to agree. And there is a part of me that doesn't much like that.

I love bicycles. They are elegant devices that are designed to be as efficient as possible with human motive energy, and that results in some really interesting engineering solutions. Carbon frames are extraordinarily stiff and can be fabricated into all manner of shapes that allow compliance in some directions and much less compliance in others. Wheels are designed to be extraordinarily lightweight, while very strong. And when it all comes together, you get a machine that is truly an engineering marvel, and makes the most of whatever energy a person can put into it.

Not so much with ebikes ... or at least most of them I see in my hood. There is really no point in making frames light ... just add more power to the motor and more capacity to the battery. Not a lot of point in making them both compliant in some direction and stiff in others ... just make them out of straight gauge steel, and add a padded seat or shocks. Some of the ones in my hood are really large mini bikes with electric motors and pedals added as an afterthought. And the companies making most of those ebikes are not bicycle companies ... so the bicycle companies are not really benefitting all that much from the sales of ebikes ... again, if the ones I see in my hood are any example.

The design tradeoffs are all askew when a motor is added to the mix. I guess that is just the way it is.
there's no real reason other than cost that it has to be this way. you can add a motor and battery to bike with only 7 pounds of additional weight, with enough power to more than double the average cyclist's output for an hour or two.... or more reasonably, to double your output when you hit a big hill on your commute or recreational ride. IMO 250 watts is PLENTY for anything but a cargo bike, if you can put out 150w that lets you go 12+mph up the 6% grades which are typical of relatively modern north american roads.
Old 08-11-22, 04:40 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
there's no real reason other than cost that it has to be this way. you can add a motor and battery to bike with only 7 pounds of additional weight, with enough power to more than double the average cyclist's output for an hour or two.... or more reasonably, to double your output when you hit a big hill on your commute or recreational ride. IMO 250 watts is PLENTY for anything but a cargo bike, if you can put out 150w that lets you go 12+mph up the 6% grades which are typical of relatively modern north american roads.
I would agree that it does not have to be. But I think market forces will direct it that way.

Before ebikes, the improvement in bicycle technology was very hard fought, and truthfully, the gains obtained were small and only worth the cost and effort for people who were involved with racing. But that technology trickled down to less expensive models a little at a time, and we all benefitted. For example, consider road frames. Not so long ago, a road frame under 1Kg was rare, and now it is common place. It happened a little at a time, as manufacturers introduced new processes in the production of road bikes in their expensive frames ...cutting a little bit of weight off at a time. But is any of that relevant if you are adding 7 pounds of battery and/or motor? And if you want to make a bike faster or go for longer, you aren't going to focus on the frame or wheels ... there just isn't that much to be gained there anymore. You'll focus instead on a more efficient or more powerful motor or better battery capacity.

And all of that considers only those ebikes that are high quality road bikes modified to include a motor assist. I dunno about where you live, but where I live, those kind of ebikes are pretty rare. What I see (and overwhelmingly) are cargo bikes with cheap crappy frames and a pedal drivetrain added as an afterthought. Those are the bikes that are selling like hotcakes.

Maybe its better that way. I am one of those luddites who think that a lot of the "improvements" in bicycle technology as of late really aren't so wonderful anyway. But one thing for sure, ebikes are going to fundamentally change the industry. They will inevitably direct the focus away from elegant efficiency and more in the direction of motor and battery improvements. And a lot of old skool bicycle stalwart companies are going to be overwhelmed.

Old 08-24-22, 06:50 AM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
E-bike? Not likely.

Perhaps, when I can no longer pedal my Catrike Expedition 5 miles at 5 MPH on flat ground, but certainly not before that.
Likes For soloman:
Old 08-24-22, 08:31 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I used to think exactly the same thing. I’m not quite there yet but that time is coming sooner than later for me. It wasn’t that long ago I was riding with the fastest guys. But several circumstances the past few years have greatly diminished my power and I’m definitely slower. Getting ready to turn 70 in a couple weeks so I’m seeing reduced metrics. I don’t mind and have been riding slower but if it was important to ride a lot faster I’d probably need an eBike. One of our local riders uses one on our group rides and he’s able comfortably stay with the group and it’s no problem at all riding with him.

I don’t have any issue riding solo so that’s probably the direction I’d go before spending dollars for another bike.
Old 08-24-22, 09:06 AM
55murray

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by soloman
Perhaps, when I can no longer pedal my Catrike Expedition 5 miles at 5 MPH on flat ground, but certainly not before that.
This is where I am at. I enjoy my sub 6 hour centuries on my road bike, but I also still get plenty of a kick out of cruising the neighborhood on my Murray. I'll just do more of that.
Old 08-26-22, 02:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Of course -- a trike! That didn't occur to me. I don't need a motor on my bike. I only need a third wheel when I become too slow to ride my current bike.
Old 08-26-22, 04:16 PM
jdogg111

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I am 58 and still a very enthusiastic rider. My wife is a little older, grew up in the city (without a bike), and never really had the passion to build up the muscles needed to bicycle into old age. But I still love to ride with her and she really enjoys easy, short, flat rides in the fresh air. However, her ability to tackle even minor hills has significantly deteriorated in recent years.

When someone suggested we her get her an e-bike, I immediately got up on my high-horse, ripped this person a new butthole, and declared that I would never even CONSIDER such blasphemy. After all, bicycling means applying absolutely nothing but one's personal energy to propel a two-wheeled vehicle forward. Anything else is called MOTORcycling.

Tonight, I broke down and bought her an Aventon Pace 350, one of the most basic e-bikes on the market. I don't want to get into a debate about whether e-bikes have any right to exist, but for the sake of anyone on this group who might be sensing their riding days coming to an end, I want to suggest that, with one of these pedal-assist bicycles, you can count on being able to ride until the day you drop dead.

Until today, I wouldn't even LOOK at anything but a "real" bicycle; but when I hopped on this baby, turned the pedals half-a-revolution, and felt the motor take over, I decided right then and there that I will never again worry about growing too old to enjoy my long day rides and overnight trips. Even the type of hill that would render a route completely off-limits for her feels like nothing at all on this bike - and that's with only the minimal level of pedal-assist. Soon, SHE will be waiting for ME at the top of each climb!

For now, having one e-bike in the family means I can take my wife along to explore the places I used to just come home and talk about. But in the far-off future, having a second one for myself is going to make growing old much more palatable. So have no fear, my old folk comrades! The e-bike is your friend!
I see an older gentleman everyday on the greenway I use, nice giant e bike. He flies by me. I do grin everytime tho, as he's decked out in full riding gear like a traveling billboard. Whatever it takes.
Old 08-26-22, 06:10 PM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Of course -- a trike! That didn't occur to me. I don't need a motor on my bike. I only need a third wheel when I become too slow to ride my current bike.
I don't have a Catrike because I'm too slow to ride a two-wheeler. At 78 years old I still average 13/14 MPH on my regular bi-weekly 40 mile rides. I got my first Catrike because it was the coolest bike I'd ever seen. I ride it exclusively today because my balance has deteriorated... and because it's still the coolest looking bike I've ever seen. Oh, and because I don't have to unclip to stop, or get up and walk around to get the blood circulating in my butt. I also have lots of space to carry enough tools and spare parts for when I'm 20 miles away from my truck... also enough bottle cages for enough water for a 40 mile ride in 80/90 heat here in Florida. I usually carry four or five 24 oz bottles of water.
Likes For soloman: