Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-01-22, 01:58 AM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
the people who have posted kit, it is easy to go both ways with, because like groups and wheelsets once you rise a nice set or dressed nicely, it is hard to go back to the cheap stuff. like 105-ultegra. a chunk of it really is mental, or the shiny factor
Likes For c0urt:
Old 09-01-22, 04:40 AM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you truly think the only difference between a Dri Fit t-shirt and a quality cycling jersey is pockets, then you have no idea wtf you are talking about and should sit down.
Calm down buddy, we are only discussing shirts.
Old 09-01-22, 07:25 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
If you truly think the only difference between a Dri Fit t-shirt and a quality cycling jersey is pockets, then you have no idea wtf you are talking about and should sit down.
My $20 Amazon cycling jerseys have wonderful pockets.
Old 09-01-22, 07:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
These threads usually turn out the same: the people who buy low-end gear (bikes, components, clothes, whatever) tell other posters that they're wasting their money; the posters who buy higher-end gear generally don't try to tell others what they should purchase.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 07:53 AM
Johnathonbenfie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I Set off for a random ride today. I decided I may opt for a longer ride and keep going out.
So, I grabbed an empty plastic soda bottle and filled it with electrolyte water.
I then thought how people waste $40 on a water bottle. Not just bikers, but in general.

I usually spend the most money on parking and besides that on simple water. (I don't spend any money) and obviously on wheels and other things that are spent and need replacing.
Old 09-01-22, 08:17 AM
prj71

These threads usually turn out the same: the people who buy low-end gear (bikes, components, clothes, whatever) tell other posters that they're wasting their money; the posters who buy higher-end gear generally don't try to tell others what they should purchase.
You are correct.

However there is a HUGE difference between buying a low end bike and a high end bike. I own expensive bikes. But there is little to no difference between buying a $20 amazon cycling jersey and $100 amazon cycling jersey. There are some items out there where you do get what you pay for and others...not so much. Brand name cycling apparel is one of those things that is completely overpriced.

As cycling became more and more popular, the demand for jerseys increased...So some manufacturers and suppliers take advantage of this by increasing prices. Think about it...$100 for a polyester shirt?
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-01-22, 08:22 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
But there is little to no difference between buying a $20 amazon cycling jersey and $100 amazon cycling jersey.
You should try some brands other than Amazon. You might be surprised.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 08:28 AM
prj71

You should try some brands other than Amazon. You might be surprised.
I have some Sugoi jerseys that I won at bike races. Not any better in comfort, quality and fit than my Amazon jerseys.

https://us-store.sugoi.com/collectio...s-bike-jerseys
Old 09-01-22, 08:37 AM
Koyote

I have some Sugoi jerseys that I won at bike races. Not any better in comfort, quality and fit than my Amazon jerseys.

https://us-store.sugoi.com/collectio...s-bike-jerseys
There are so many problems with your argument, and my responses may not be clear enough. Let me try again.

The fact that you don't perceive any differences does not mean that there are no differences between cheap and expensive jerseys. Other people's needs, preferences, sizes, etc, may differ from yours.

I also think that, underlying these arguments, there is a discussion of value -- to you, the differences may be discernable but not worth the extra cost; others have different needs, preferences, and budget constraints.

There is also a sampling problem: have you ever tried my two favorite high-end brands (Rapha and Assos) and compared them to your $20 Amazon jerseys? I understand that you have won a few jerseys from better brands, but the freebies (that are given away at events) are never from their best lines -- in fact, they tend to come from their bottom-end lines. (You do understand, I hope, that a company like Sugoi makes jerseys of very different qualities and price points?)

To state this last point more clearly: I have worn cheapie jerseys, and I have worn very expensive jerseys -- and I find the differences to usually be quite significant; I suspect you have no experience with the very expensive apparel and thus are opining from a position of ignorance. (Correct me if I am wrong.)
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-01-22, 08:41 AM
prj71

You are wrong. Totally wrong. I have tried on expensive jerseys that the Bike Shops sell. Again...No difference in quality, fit, material etc. than the Amazon jerseys. Not perceived. Real.

We'll just have to agree to disagree knowing that I save more money than you do for the same item that doesn't have a fancy brand name on it.

I have this one in red and black. It's one of my favorite jerseys to wear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087R2VKXM...ter_B087R36C1M
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-01-22, 08:55 AM
Koyote

You are wrong. Totally wrong. I have tried on expensive jerseys that the Bike Shops sell.
Perhaps you should try actually riding in them. Since that’s what they’re designed for.

Now your argument is akin to saying, “Hey, I once sat in a Porsche, and it didn’t really seem much better than my Hyundai.”
Old 09-01-22, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Perhaps you should try actually riding in them. Since that’s what they’re designed for.

Now your argument is akin to saying, “Hey, I once sat in a Porsche, and it didn’t really seem much better than my Hyundai.”
Isn't this the guy that argues that there was no meaningful shortage of bike parts in the last two years? Yeah, take what he says with a grain of salt.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 09:24 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Isn't this the guy that argues that there was no meaningful shortage of bike parts in the last two years? Yeah, take what he says with a grain of salt.
Meaningful...Yes.

The sky is falling...no.
Old 09-01-22, 09:26 AM
prj71

I have and I do. The ones I won are the expensive variety not the cheap variety. They are OK. Just not $80 more OK.
Old 09-01-22, 09:38 AM
WhyFi

I have and I do. The ones I won are the expensive variety not the cheap variety. They are OK. Just not $80 more OK.
We've been over this, before, IIRC. You say that you won them some time in the nebulous past, you link to a full page of a given manufacturer's wares, not to the specific garments in question and certainly not to pics of the jerseys themselves. We don't know if they're MTB, Road, Club Fit, Race Fit, etc. My assumption, and I think that it's a pretty safe one, is that these are entry-level, club fit (and possibly not properly sized) jerseys that are nothing special.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 09:41 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
You are wrong. Totally wrong. I have tried on expensive jerseys that the Bike Shops sell. Again...No difference in quality, fit, material etc. than the Amazon jerseys. Not perceived. Real.

We'll just have to agree to disagree knowing that I save more money than you do for the same item that doesn't have a fancy brand name on it.

I have this one in red and black. It's one of my favorite jerseys to wear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087R2VKXM...ter_B087R36C1M
In relation to this thread a companion might be; What are the most over priced cycling accessories? Clothing by name brand manufacturers has to be towards the top. Some tires might be a second. When paying $100 per tire, I find that excessive.

I took the plunge to find out why ASOS shorts and jerseys quality and fit justified the high price. Yes they were well made and fit fine, but they did not fit $300 better than my old Pearl Izumi and Amazon purchased products, not in my mind.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-01-22, 09:46 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by rsbob
In relation to this thread a companion might be; What are the most over priced cycling accessories?
It's the same question, which is a matter of value, which is quite subjective and influenced by a lot of factors.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 09:55 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In relation to this thread a companion might be; What are the most over priced cycling accessories? Clothing by name brand manufacturers has to be towards the top. Some tires might be a second. When paying $100 per tire, I find that excessive.

I took the plunge to find out why ASOS shorts and jerseys quality and fit justified the high price. Yes they were well made and fit fine, but they did not fit $300 better than my old Pearl Izumi and Amazon purchased products, not in my mind.
Finally, someone who likes lower priced items, but at least is able to articulate that it's his opinion that high end options are overpriced, not an inarguable fact. Kudos for that.

As others have stated multiple times, value is highly subjective and different individuals have different needs, expectations, desires and budgets which can result in very different perceptions of value for the same item.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-01-22, 09:56 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I've bought plenty of cheap stuff which turned out to be a waste of money because the reason why it was cheap is because it is a bit crap. To wit, two carbon fiber out front Garmin mounts from Aliexpress which broke under the weight of a Edge 1030 plus and a bike light, three cheap CF bottle cages from Aliexpress which eject bottles over potholes (on the other hand the only slightly more expensive CF bottle cages from Decathlon are great).

Club trisuits turned out to be the same quality as upper end of Aliexpress stuff but for more money, however high end stuff is a cathegory by itself and the Castelli trisuits are my favourite cycling / triathlon wear.

I've used Brooks saddles for a while on a touring bike, and they were in my experience, a bit crap. The tensioning mechanism was poorly made on two (necessitating pliers to tension it alongside the supplied tool because the bolt would freely spin) and in the end a Specialized Power turned out to be a more comfortable saddle which costs a similar amount and is durable and much lighter.

Velotoze shoe covers. They're not bad, they just break after two uses. What else... hm. There's probably more stuff which turned out to be a bit crap in retrospect. Wool jerseys? Meh.

Mostly the more expensive and more mainstream stuff turned out to work better, with exceptions here and there. Sometimes cheaper stuff exceeded expectations - mostly I have to give a shout out to Decathlon, their upper end kit is really quite good.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-01-22 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-01-22, 10:07 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Drinking and riding seems dangerous
Depends on what you're drinking....
Old 09-01-22, 10:09 AM
Koyote

$20 plus $80 equals $100, which is a mid priced jersey.
In other words, you are arguing from a position of ignorance. We see so much of this on bf: people who think that their opinions trump everyone else’s, and that their preferences should be universal. Such an egotistical and childish fallacy.
Old 09-01-22, 10:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
$20 plus $80 equals $100, which is a mid priced jersey.
In other words, you are arguing from a position of ignorance. We see so much of this on bf: people who think that their opinions trump everyone else’s, and that their preferences should be universal. Such an egotistical and childish fallacy.
Similar to a certain older gentleman who cycles in an alternate body orientation, the argument has become a political position that will be defended through self-generated confirmation bias and rigid unwillingness to consider any other opinion as valid.
Old 09-01-22, 10:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by eric f
similar to a certain older gentleman who cycles in an alternate body orientation, the argument has become a political religious position that will be defended through self-generated confirmation bias and rigid unwillingness to consider any other opinion as valid.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-01-22, 10:50 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
As others have stated multiple times, value is highly subjective and different individuals have different needs, expectations, desires and budgets which can result in very different perceptions of value for the same item.
Touching on this, and with respect to jerseys, I think that much of the thought, that higher-end offerings are overpriced, comes from those that are more in the "club fit" segment who aren't looking for a second skin "race fit" jersey. In my opinion, and experience, the bar of expectations is generally much lower with club fit stuff - it doesn't have to be tailored as well, the sizing is more forgiving, and the fabric doesn't have to be as technical (stretch/breathing/texture/wicking), etc. If what you're looking for is something that has a full zipper, is vaguely shaped like your torso, has some rear pockets (that may or may not get used), and dries better than a cotton T, then I can see a $20 option being fine.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-22, 10:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4839 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
ftfy
Valid.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.