Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 05:04 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
That website makes me gag a little
They make quality gear if you like and can carry off their very French style. Definitely not for everyone.
Old 09-13-22, 05:10 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
They make quality gear if you like and can carry off their very French style. Definitely not for everyone.
Interesting, I did not recognize the style based on nationality, it seemed more gender focused. I learn something every day.
Old 09-13-22, 05:21 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Interesting, I did not recognize the style based on nationality, it seemed more gender focused. I learn something every day.
It's about as French as a French thing from France can get. Clue is in their name.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-13-22, 06:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I swallowed hard before buying my first one (at your LBS - Angry Catfish), and ended up buying a second one about six months later. They're that good. But you really need only one, since they're built like brick you-know-what houses. I just wanted a different color, since I was wearing my first one about six days per week.
That's the nice thing about the you-don't-know-what-you're-missing stuff - less compulsion to blow money.

Did you visit ACF in person or did you shop online?

I've gotta meet a friend there, for a ride, this morning. Well, at Northern Coffee, to be precise. I miss meeting for pre-ride coffee and being able to browse the bike crap, but maybe it's a good thing in this case - too many big wastes of money.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-13-22, 07:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Did you visit ACF in person or did you shop online?
I visit mpls about once each year, and sometimes go down to AC. I grew up in the NW suburbs.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-13-22, 07:31 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 770 Posts
Local group of friends is establishing a bike club of sorts to represent the area at races, rides etc. I was invited to join. Looks like I might be buying a Borah Teamware jersey. This will be more expensive than Amazon damn it!!
Old 09-13-22, 07:38 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

My big waste of money Dromarti’s showed up today after the first wear I have a feeling I’m going to have another set.

these are some comfortable shoes that don’t clunk like normal cycling shoes
Old 09-13-22, 08:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It's about as French as a French thing from France can get. Clue is in their name.
In all fairness, the Chevrolet Corvette is the least “French” car ever made, yet its name says otherwise.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-13-22, 08:42 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
The ingredients in one bottle's worth of sports drink mix are readily available and cost less than 10 cents.

The commercially available sports drink mixes run about $1.50 per bottle.

I make my own mix from dextrose, salt, lemon crystals.

All those other ingredients you'll find in sports drink mixes? Unnecessary.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-13-22, 09:28 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
terrymorse is on to something.

Glucose is pure muscle fuel. All other sugars get converted to glucose. Fructose is one of the easiest sugars to convert. Honey is a mix of both Glucuse/fructose. Why not start there? Of course any other sugar would work too with a bit of digestive conversion delay.

Potassium is a necessary electrolyte. It can be found in the spice section of grocery store usually marketed as "salt substitute" or under the brand name NuSalt. Most sports drinks don't have very much due to the possibility of digestive upset & make up the difference with plain salt. But a quarter tsp or so per bottle is plenty.

The knock-off powdered Kool-aid drink packs can be ridiculously cheap. The large powdered Gatorade mix can also be used instead & had for significantly less than the commercially diluted stuff at the roadside convenience store. Frozen, concentrated lemonade or limeade would likewise be a refreshing alternative to either.

Mix all of it up in a water bottle in whatever combination works for you for "sports drink" at way, way less cost than commercial.

I'm sure others here have similar hacks in the empty water bottle arena.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-13-22, 09:31 AM
jema123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I Set off for a random ride today. I decided I may opt for a longer ride and keep going out.
So, I grabbed an empty plastic soda bottle and filled it with electrolyte water.
I then thought how people waste $40 on a water bottle. Not just bikers, but in general.

$40 on a water bottle? That is one heck of a water bottle. I've gotten deals for $7 per quality name brand bike bottles.
I've seen outrageous prices on carbon fiber water bottle cages, and I guess if you are racing and every ounce of weight matters that is important to you.

I did spend extra on a mips helment. I read on it and it doesn't seem necessary and I had a helmet that was a few years old but not damaged and just thought I should get a new one and just spent extra on the Mips,
Old 09-13-22, 04:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked 3,542 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by jema123
I've seen outrageous prices on carbon fiber water bottle cages, and I guess if you are racing and every ounce of weight matters that is important to you.
You don't have to spend crazy money for a bottle cage, but please avoid the cheap and flimsy ones that lose bottles if you go over a bump. A bottle cage is safety equipment.

I lost a good friend and ride buddy, because the bike in front of him ejected a bottle on a fast descent.

Old 09-13-22, 05:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I do the powdered gatorade. It saves me money and it saves me time---which I need to wax my chain.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-13-22, 05:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You don't have to spend crazy money for a bottle cage, but please avoid the cheap and flimsy ones that lose bottles if you go over a bump. A bottle cage is safety equipment.

I lost a good friend and ride buddy, because the bike in front of him ejected a bottle on a fast descent.
These are my favorite for a modern road bike - very light, reasonable price ($20 on Amazon), and hold bottles way better than you would expect from their very minimal appearance... https://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages/496-pulse-l2.html
Old 09-14-22, 02:46 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
In all fairness, the Chevrolet Corvette is the least “French” car ever made, yet its name says otherwise.
Sure, but that stark contrast doesn't apply to Cafe du Cycliste. They are the embodiment of French cycling style and they make that as obvious as they possibly could throughout their website and marketing. They are easily the "Frenchest" cycling brand I can think of.
Old 09-14-22, 04:06 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by jema123
$40 on a water bottle? That is one heck of a water bottle. I've gotten deals for $7 per quality name brand bike bottles.

I did spend extra on a mips helment. I read on it and it doesn't seem necessary and I had a helmet that was a few years old but not damaged and just thought I should get a new one and just spent extra on the Mips,
My strongest cage is also my heaviest, it is made from carbon. I use in behind the seat position. IIRC, they were $75 each. Few things irritate me more than someone losing bottles. Back in the day, one only drank after taking their pull at the front and when on the back of the pack. The cost is a consideration to others. Not a place to skimp.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-14-22, 07:32 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My strongest cage is also my heaviest, it is made from carbon. I use in behind the seat position. IIRC, they were $75 each. Few things irritate me more than someone losing bottles. Back in the day, one only drank after taking their pull at the front and when on the back of the pack. The cost is a consideration to others. Not a place to skimp.
So something I recently learned. I have a couple of carbon Bontrager water bottle cages I purchased at the Trek bike shop for $70 each. After purchasing them I decide I wanted a different color. Ordered some from Amazon for 1/3 of the price. When they arrived I couldn't help but notice that they were exactly the same as the Bontrager water bottle cages. So Trek/Bontrager gets them from the same place in China and then slaps their name on it and raises the price. Dumb.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-14-22, 08:22 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
So something I recently learned. I have a couple of carbon Bontrager water bottle cages I purchased at the Trek bike shop for $70 each. After purchasing them I decide I wanted a different color. Ordered some from Amazon for 1/3 of the price. When they arrived I couldn't help but notice that they were exactly the same as the Bontrager water bottle cages. So Trek/Bontrager gets them from the same place in China and then slaps their name on it and raises the price. Dumb.
A lot of that goes on in many industries.
Old 09-14-22, 08:39 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by seypat
A lot of that goes on in many industries.
Yeah I know that. Wasn't expecting it on the Bontrager bottle cages and it pissed me off that I spent so much money on them just because the Bontrager name is slapped on it. Talk about a racket.
Old 09-14-22, 08:56 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Yeah I know that. Wasn't expecting it on the Bontrager bottle cages and it pissed me off that I spent so much money on them just because the Bontrager name is slapped on it. Talk about a racket.
I'd be POed also. Paying a premium price for a private label product.
Old 09-14-22, 11:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
It doesn't mean Trek/Bontrager buys their cages from the same source. There are lots of cheap bike components that are just cosmetic clones of name brand stuff, but they're not the same product.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-14-22, 12:51 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
IF they are actually the same item, you may find that the branded one has tighter quality control and higher yield threshold. So the cheap one is potentially one that failed a quality test for the expensive one and was re-branded instead of destroyed.
Old 09-14-22, 07:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Yeah .... everyone says "Sure they come from the same factory and the same assembly line, but the brand-name ones are still better."

For frames, I;'d buy that. Bottle cages .... whatever. The real test is that the gentleman has both and can see if one is really functionally superior to the other.

And the gentlman has responded:
Nope. Exactly the same. The Bontrager one is just a rebranded chinese one.
Old 09-14-22, 07:07 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Herzlos
IF they are actually the same item, you may find that the branded one has tighter quality control and higher yield threshold. So the cheap one is potentially one that failed a quality test for the expensive one and was re-branded instead of destroyed.
Nope. Exactly the same. The Bontrager one is just a rebranded chinese one. And I've never had a water bottle cage fail or break ever.
Old 09-14-22, 07:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
And the gentlman has responded:
Absolutely. His assessment of jerseys was shown to be sterling, so buy with confidence, amiright?
Likes For WhyFi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.