Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cuts from brake discs and Recall

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cuts from brake discs and Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-22, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
Well some of these "strollers" I see people using for jogging with their infants look pretty heavy. Especially the ones for two infants. So I'd suppose in this hilly area I'm in, brakes will be beneficial.
Old 09-08-22, 11:51 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly, I suspect the physics of that are such that if the brake actually produced more stopping power than planting your feet alone, you'd actually end up pushing the stroller forward when your forward momentum drove you into the back of the stroller and it might actually be harder to control.
It turns out to indeed be easier to brace your arms and absorb some of your own movement into an object in front of you on which you've applied a brake, than it is to hold the movement of something that's forward of your toes back on a descent.

Our bodies aren't all that well suited for regulating even our own descents - the trip down the mountain often causes more stress than the hike up it.

When there's a hill I hesitate to ride down on the large unicycle, either because it's steep or too traffic squeezed while dealing with the steepness, I'll typically end up engaging its bake some while walking it down the sidewalk or shoulder - and that weighs quite a bit less than a modern jogging stroller.
Old 09-08-22, 12:43 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well some of these "strollers" I see people using for jogging with their infants look pretty heavy. Especially the ones for two infants. So I'd suppose in this hilly area I'm in, brakes will be beneficial.
It appears the stroller in question is 29lb empty, and rated for a toddler up to 55lb. link

I'd agree that a 120-130lb woman jogging downhill with a 50-80lb of stroller+child+stuff might just find brakes a bit helpful. Particularly if wishing to stop quickly.
Old 09-15-22, 04:02 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
The original Baby Jogger had a strap that you were supposed to put around your wrist, to restrain the jogger in case you let go or fell.
Drag brake?
I like it.
Had one on my bike since I read about Hector at Troy
Old 09-15-22, 08:56 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6957 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
I'm not sure how a baby stroller is relevant for a bike forum.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-22-22, 09:59 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
a Stroller, the $600 All-Terrain RIDGE Jogging Stroller has been recalled by this CPSC for amputating a child's finger.
Apparently a child outside of the stroller got a finger into the brake disk of a spoked wheel.
HOW OFTEN ARE DISC BRAKES CUTTING FOLKS?
I noted how sharp the edges of bicycle discs can be incidentally ,
and despite my propensity for getting fingers caught in gears have never enjoyed this particular trauma
Baby strollers really need disc brakes too, yeah.
I have trailers , and they at the most need a parking brake. IMHO
Just another "I hate disc brakes" thread. Have you come to grips with click shifting yet???
Old 10-22-22, 12:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Just another "I hate disc brakes" thread. Have you come to grips with click shifting yet???
I still use friction shifting on all my strollers.

Old 10-22-22, 12:13 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
The idea that a stroller doesn’t need a brake at all is a pretty hot take. There are lots of kinds of strollers. Going a couple miles in the neighborhood with a twin jogger is not the same as going in the mall with an umbrella stroller. I didn’t need to have a disk brake but I was pretty glad to have a handbrake. I don’t remember ever checking what kind of brakes it had. Probably some kind of drum Or maybe one of those rubber strap things. Both rear wheels. It would yaw otherwise. I can think of all kinds of problems that would be caused by putting it on the front wheel, I’m sure they tried it at some point and changed their mind.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-22-22 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-22-22, 12:27 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure how a baby stroller is relevant for a bike forum.
just wait till you find out about the e-strollers
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 10-26-22, 02:34 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
@rydabent I don't hate 'em. But I do think they are overkill for many applications, adding complexity and cost.
Down hill racer with brake fade, sure.
I don't recall any caliper injuries, other than the odd tangle. Spoon brakes are overkill on these applications,
Actooly not bad. the fact discs have unfinished sharp edges is just not a good thing.
Any sharp edges on a stroller are not a real plus. Things that amputate fingers even less so.
Bike shops work on them, since most of the stroller shops closed.
And bike folks build things for their kids.
Old 11-04-22, 07:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
@rydabent I don't hate 'em. But I do think they are overkill for many applications, adding complexity and cost.
I'm not sure about the "complexity" part. If you accept that jogging strollers do benefit from some form of brake, then a cable operated disc brake is hardly a complex solution. Where this application went wrong is in not making it toddler proof with solid dscs and a simple guard cover.
Likes For PeteHski: