Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these dropouts safe?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are these dropouts safe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-22, 12:21 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Are these dropouts safe?

I picked up an old Jamis Coda Comp frame at the local co op. The rear vertical dropouts have either been ground down or the installed internal gear hub that had no anti rotation washers damaged the frame. It appears safe to me, seems like it wouldn’t affect anything, but I want to make sure before exerting energy into building around it. Is it safe?
Old 09-21-22, 12:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I'd ride it. But I'd make certain I was using a quick release with a steel skewer, internal cam, of quality and not an old one with the old cam shape. Easiest way to achieve that? Get a Shimano QR. (Front too for peace of mind. Front has a much easier job but it failing is far more injury to you.)

Clamp the QR tight. You should feel it begin to lock as the lever hits 90 degrees from the bike, ie in line with the axle. Final closure should be hard. Edit: the fact that the dropout is chromed means the form closure is more important. Chrome is very hard and does not indent under the pressure of the QRs teeth on the head and nut.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-21-22, 01:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
They're as safe as they ever were. The actual pocket where the axle sits is unchanged, and the flat area where axle and QR (or nut) face engage is only slightly lessened with the gap representing a small enough arc not to matter.

I suspect that the modification was to make it easier to slide a wheel in by creating a sort of funnel to guide the axle home.

Don't worry about it, and if you find it easier to put wheels in and out, you might find yourself considering similar changes to your other bikes.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-21-22, 01:36 PM
boneshaker78
Commuting Fool

Bikes: 1988 Miele Azsora, 2022 State All-Road 4130, 2003 Jamis Coda Comp, 1983 Specialized Expedition, 1994 Norco Monterey

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-21-22, 01:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As usual Francis got it right. The lower and leading edge of the dropouts were likely ground away to allow the QR end to clear the rear derailleur when installing or removing the rear wheel. This is a many decades old trick.

BTW Ben's advise to use a QR with a steel internal cam is spot on too. Andy
Old 09-21-22, 03:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
As usual Francis got it right.... Andy
Thanks for the "As usual.....".

Especially considering the source.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-21-22 at 07:35 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: