Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What are the biggest wastes of money in biking?

Old 09-19-22, 09:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Highcad
The biggest waste of money is old, fat guys purchasing high end road bikes. 90 percent of these old fat guys will quit within a couple of years - because riding in the same position as a Tour de France guy is not comfortable.
You're a real ray of sunshine. You're also incorrect.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe it was still worth the money to them.
Ding ding ding! If someone knows what they are getting, and willingly plunks down the money, the purchase is by definition "worth it" to them. How could it be anything else?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-20-22, 07:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
The biggest waste of money is old, fat guys purchasing high end road bikes. 90 percent of these old fat guys will quit within a couple of years - because riding in the same position as a Tour de France guy is not comfortable.

And you know this how?
HINT--you don't.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-20-22, 07:14 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Purchased 1 in 2005 and again in 2006. Old as hell, a little less fat, but still having loads of fun.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 09-22-22, 02:13 PM
Highcad

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And you know this how?
HINT--you don't.
Because I know more than a few. And big surprise, the old fat guys w/ the light weight bike ($carbon/aero wheel sets) are still slow, and most of all, are uncomfortable on their $6000+ bike. But not a total waste. This was disposable income, and the bike shop/industry made money, and someone will get a nice bike at a much lower cost. The old fat guy will go back to more comfortable sports - like golf w/ his buddies.
Old 09-22-22, 02:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
If you are old enough and fat enough Everything is uncomfortable.

Hint: those fat old dudes didn't think they were going to suddenly "get fast" because they bought hot bikes, any more than thought they would get laid or even drive fast when they bought their expensive exotic sports cars---some of which are equally uncomfortable likely, and absolutely painful to enter and exit.

And since you know them and they are still riding ... seems they will golf with their buddies And ride their hot bikes, drive their hot cars, and laugh about jealous little-minded people who scorn people who have what the small-minded people cannot have.

I do not envy you the burden of knowing everything, but I admire the way you can be simultaneously omniscient and ignorant. That kind of flexibility must take years of stretching.

My hot bike is set up to be pretty comfortable, by the way. And I am still slow.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-22-22, 02:42 PM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
The only wastes of money I've discovered are the things I bought ignoring the "buy once, cry once" dictum. Pumps, stands, shoes, jerseys, shorts, tools, all stuff I went cheap on the first go-round. Except I learned a valuable lesson, so maybe not a waste. Yeah, yeah, I'm going with that.
Likes For phedge:
Old 09-22-22, 03:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
So if you think someone has wasted their money they must have, regardless of what the person who spent the money thinks. Got it. NOT!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-22, 04:03 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by phedge
The only wastes of money I've discovered are the things I bought ignoring the "buy once, cry once" dictum. Pumps, stands, shoes, jerseys, shorts, tools, all stuff I went cheap on the first go-round. Except I learned a valuable lesson, so maybe not a waste. Yeah, yeah, I'm going with that.
I've certainly wasted a lot of money buying stuff to cheap to begin with. I normally dabble a bit to see what I like/need, but it hasn't been cheap or good value.
I'm on my 3rd mountain bike in 2 years - a $400 bike, replaced with a $700 bike and finally a $1500 bike. Each one had under 100 miles on it
Ditto with road/gravel bikes - a $300 bike, replaced with a $600 bike and finally replaced by a $2000 gravel bike and a $1000 road bike.

And that's not including all of the upgrades. I must have lost about $1000 in the first year alone on upgrades and trades to get to something I like. And even then, my $2000 gravel bike has only done 200 miles so it's still sitting at $10/mile which is terrible value.
Old 09-22-22, 04:17 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Now this is an answer I can relate to. lol
Old 09-22-22, 04:59 PM
Highcad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
So if you think someone has wasted their money they must have, regardless of what the person who spent the money thinks. Got it. NOT!
LMAO - Read my post again genius. Take your time. If someone buys a $6000 bike and doesn't ride it because it's uncomfortable, do you think that they think it was a good purchase decision? Got it. NOT!

Last edited by Highcad; 09-22-22 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-22-22, 05:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
If someone buys a $6000 bike and then sells it in two years, do you think that they think it was a good purchase decision?
They're the only one that can answer that question, not you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-22-22, 05:17 PM
Highcad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They're the only one that can answer that question, not you.
No, I can answer the question, and I did.
Old 09-22-22, 05:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Another newbie telling others how they should spend their money ... how original.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-22-22, 06:22 PM
Highcad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If you are old enough and fat enough Everything is uncomfortable.

Hint: those fat old dudes didn't think they were going to suddenly "get fast" because they bought hot bikes, any more than thought they would get laid or even drive fast when they bought their expensive exotic sports cars---some of which are equally uncomfortable likely, and absolutely painful to enter and exit.

And since you know them and they are still riding ... seems they will golf with their buddies And ride their hot bikes, drive their hot cars, and laugh about jealous little-minded people who scorn people who have what the small-minded people cannot have.

I do not envy you the burden of knowing everything, but I admire the way you can be simultaneously omniscient and ignorant. That kind of flexibility must take years of stretching.

My hot bike is set up to be pretty comfortable, by the way. And I am still slow.
You know, my post was about some people I know - but it seems to have resonated with you.
Old 09-22-22, 06:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You know, my post was about some people I know - but it seems to have resonated with you.

Enjoy your stay, you won't be here long.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 06:35 PM
Highcad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Another newbie telling others how they should spend their money ... how original.
And another person that spends way too much time on bike forums - and thinks he's special - how original.
Old 09-22-22, 07:02 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Lol yeah .... I have worked hard for a while, and I have some nice bikes, nice cars, nice homes, a good wife, and I keep getting better at life.

I am old and fat but I am living pretty well ....

Just pointing out that you didn't really seem to know much, even though you thought you did. A wise person would make good use of that information.

Also ... i take pretty much everything everyone posts here as a joke or material for more jokes. Welcome aboard.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-22-22, 07:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Waste of money? Aero gloves. Not the biggest and maybe the smallest, but still a waste.

Old 09-22-22, 09:11 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Or in a similar vein, parts that were bought for form over function. I've unfortunately done that a few times recently, not least of which was in pedals, where I wasted money not once but twice getting pedals that colour matched my bike rather than going for ones that actually worked. I have just purchased a set of Shimano M520 pedals which are said to be close to bulletproof and which work FAR better than either of the colour matched pedals I bought did even when new - this is what I should have done in the first place.
Old 09-22-22, 09:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Please substantiate your claim. I’d also like to see where that 90% figure came from. Also what is your cut off age for old?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-22-22, 09:45 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
what are the biggest wastes of money in biking?
Riding that chrome three-wheeler, making that first mistake, wearing gypsy leathers, all the way to Fire Lake.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-22-22, 10:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Waste of money? Aero gloves. Not the biggest and maybe the smallest, but still a waste.
If you're doing a time trial, maybe not a waste. They cost about as much as regular gloves, and they can reduce drag when in a time trial position. Especially if you have hairy hands.

Old 09-22-22, 10:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by terrymorse
If you're doing a time trial, maybe not a waste. They cost about as much as regular gloves, and they can reduce drag when in a time trial position. Especially if you have hairy hands.
So what you are saying is that for a very small subset of the cycling population they are of great value. I get that. But for the rest…

Old 09-23-22, 05:06 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Because I know more than a few. And big surprise, the old fat guys w/ the light weight bike ($carbon/aero wheel sets) are still slow, and most of all, are uncomfortable on their $6000+ bike. But not a total waste. This was disposable income, and the bike shop/industry made money, and someone will get a nice bike at a much lower cost. The old fat guy will go back to more comfortable sports - like golf w/ his buddies.
So you personally know 90% of old fat guys who buy expensive road bikes? Cool story, bro.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-22, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Are you cueing up a "do you shave your hands?" thread?

Expect a bunch of hairy palm jokes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.