Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Drilled holes on seat tube

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22, 12:18 AM
Chrise510

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a track bike and the original owner decided to drill both the seat tube and fork. I'm fine with the fork being drilled since it's aluminum and if anything happens I can always upgrade to a carbon fork but the frame's seat tube was also drilled and tapped to create treads for a water bottle mount.

Will these 2 holes effect the integrity of the frame and eventually create a crack? The frame is aluminum and the holes are approximately 13/64" wide. I removed the treads by filing them off. I also tried to clean up the holes a bit without filing to much.

What's the best way to cover it up? I was going to use Bondo but I read that it shrinks and ends up cracking or falling out if there's nothing on the back side. So now I'm thinking of just putting a sticker to cover them.

Last edited by Chrise510; 09-25-22 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-25-22, 09:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Just your luck that this thread, Filling top tube holes - Bike Forums is currently being posted to.

Many would just do the sticker thing. Some would want the bottle cage mounting ability restored and would check out reinstalling some Rivnuts. Andy