Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Finding an easy way to swap wheels on my Shimano internal gear hub-equipped bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Finding an easy way to swap wheels on my Shimano internal gear hub-equipped bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 07:16 PM
Morimorimori

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, everybody.

I would like to achieve some relatively easy way to swap both wheels on my bike which has Shimano Alfine 8 speed internal gear hub installed. The problem is with the rear wheel, of course. In case of a regular hub with a cassette on it, you can just buy another relatively cheap hub and install it in the 2nd rear wheel, than you'll just need to swap your cassette and it's done.

With internal gear hub it's not possible (well, unless you can afford buying another Shimano 8 speed hub for the 2nd rear wheel, which is a bit of costy ). Yet, after watching some vidoes on the hub's disassembling procedures, I realized the external, bulky part of the hub, to which spines are directly attached, is just a hollow case of sort. Inside it goes what really constitutes a hub.

I'll illustrate with an example:

Here is the assembled hub: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg
And here is what actually does the job, without the external protecting case: https://static.modernbike.com/Produc...1118051528.jpg

If I would be able to somehow buy that external case alone, I believe I could just install it in my second wheel, and simply swap the bowels of the hub from one case to another when needed.

Will this work? Where can I find such thing? Will any case do (like, from Nexus hub, or from other modules of Alfine hubs (there are few)), or I'll have to find a case intended for exactly the same model I poses?
Old 07-18-18, 07:18 PM
Morimorimori

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Or am I overthinking it and there is a simpler solution?
Old 07-18-18, 07:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I don't really know, I changed out a 333 hub to single speed a few years ago but you are also now able to post pictures and obviously links at 10 posts now feel free to do so. Anything helps.
Old 07-18-18, 07:33 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
First off, the images you posted are of the 11 speed Alfine, not the 8 speed, but that really doesn't matter.
One set of internals can be swapped between two hub shells, provided they are compatible. While Nexus and Alfine hubs do share a common design, there are differences that make them non compatible.
If your hub is a 501 series, the shell you wish to swap your internals into would have to be either another 501 series or a 500B series,
While it's not a huge job to swap the internals, if you plan to swap the wheels frequently, for whatever purpose, it could be a pain.
If it is just to make the bike more versatile by setting up two wheels for different types of riding or terrain, it would probably be simpler to just switch tires.
Old 07-18-18, 07:36 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
Or am I overthinking it and there is a simpler solution?

For what purpose would you swap wheels? That's not a rhetorical question.
Old 07-19-18, 05:04 AM
Morimorimori

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dan Burkhart, yes I know it's 11 speed, it's still holds for 8 speed too. I'm glad my guess was correct. Are those external cases/shells sold separately somewhere in bike parts shops, or I'll have to find somebody selling their old broken hub of a compatible type for parts? No, I won't need to swap it too often.

AnkleWork, mostly to have 2 sets of 28" wheels for my hybrid bike: one for city, one for countryside riding.

Last edited by Morimorimori; 07-19-18 at 05:07 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 07:55 AM
zze86

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Short of a new wheel, it would be much easier to just swap tires. Or you could get those tires that have a smooth inner tread and knobby outer tread. Keep pressures high for road use and lower pressures for looser stuff
Old 07-19-18, 08:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
snap ring cogs are simple to replace, on an IGH driver..
but the pitch range offered may not be as broad as a 3 speed
(there the 3 spline cog is common to S-A as well, 13 to 22t..
[13,14,15 flat, larger, dished.. ]

Alfine 11, I see there is only 2, an 18 & a 20t ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-19-18 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 11:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
For what purpose would you swap wheels? That's not a rhetorical question.
+1 that was my question what are problem are you solving or what goal are your trying to achieve?

Old 07-19-18, 01:16 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Morimorimori
. . . mostly to have 2 sets of 28" wheels for my hybrid bike: one for city, one for countryside riding.
OK, that's not much information but the answer is: just swap the tires as needed. That will be easiest, cheapest, and quickest. If you think it's not, then just practice swapping tires a little and it will be.
Old 07-20-18, 10:50 AM
Asi
Engineer

Bikes: 1989 Krapf (with Dura-ace) road bike, 1973 Sputnik (made by XB3) road bike , 1961 Peugeot fixed gear, 2010 Trek 4400

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for a second bike.

One for city, one for race, one for DH, one for trail, one oddity for ****s and giggles, etc.

Roadies use different wheels altogether for training purposes not to damage the race wheels, and the training wheel may have some powertap hub.

For IGH it's a bit of fuss just removing the wheel. Go with the tyres of your choosing.. swap them from time to time and get a second or third bike to fulfill the need of perfect setting in various conditions. Simply having another bike gets a lot of versatility one can't get on the same frame by changing wheels.
Old 07-20-18, 11:58 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Swapping tires is a much easier job than swapping IGH internals. But if I really, really wanted to have a spare wheel handy, it would be a whole other wheel with a full hub.
Old 07-21-18, 04:33 PM
Morimorimori

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks, guys. May be I'm indeed over-complicating things. I'll try changing tires approach for some time then.