Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Stopped my excuses and got that indoor trainer

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 02-19-20, 11:56 AM
cisbrane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

At the start of 2020 I looked back at Strava and was sad to see how little I rode. Excuses after excuses - too cold or too hot (100F+), too dark out, too early, no time, etc... I managed to maybe ride once a week.

So in January I spent the money on a Kickr Core trainer + Zwift subscription, and it has made an immediate difference in my life. Gone are the excuses above and my cycling fitness is coming back, and I'm overall more happy. I love finding group rides (low D category only) on Zwift as it really helps with my motivation. Now blazing Texas Hell Summers won't stop me from riding if I don't get a chance to start by 7am. Really like some of the Zwift communities, and there are Clydes on Zwift!

This may be obvious, but I highly recommended getting an indoor smart direct drive trainer if you find that you can't get enough time outdoors -- even during the Summer months. I dreaded my old wheel-on indoor trainer. I had Zwift, but the wheel on trainer ate my tires so it was such a pain to swap between trainer and outdoor tires all the time (my rims have super tight clearance; I have broken levers...). Going to a smart direct drive is a game changer, and now that many trainers are now so silent, it's a good time to get one/upgrade.

Excited to see where 2020 goes!

Likes For cisbrane:
Old 02-19-20, 12:59 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
that's very nice! I take indoor spin classes - 3 times a week for about 9 years now. I have pages of stats!!!
Likes For HeyItsSara:
Old 02-19-20, 01:51 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
@cisbrane Great job! I use Zwift and my KICKR currently for training. When not feasible to ride outside (time constraints....or whatever) I am using TrainingPeaks and custom workouts I created by modeling some workouts from whatsonzwift.com and scheduling them. It has worked fabulously in keeping me on task. Additionally I use a 2nd TV to watch Directv, Netflix, Hulu etc while I run Zwift on other TV thru Apple TV. I usually do structured workouts in ERG.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 02-19-20, 03:35 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
@cisbrane CONGRATS! I'm having a serious lack of motivation at present. Maybe it's just winter. But I do have a lot of personal life issues kicking me in the head right now too.

Last year I just chugged along on a dumb trainer and watched videos. For this winter I replaced my old mag trainer with a used Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, and added their iNride sensor for power output. I call it my "Half Smart" trainer, since it doesn't adjust the resistance on hills. I'm all in for less than $150. And I see the value in a full wheel off smart trainer. Maybe by next winter.

Motivation is a tough one to kick. On the other side of that, I did add two more project bikes. One I will leave at my son's house and bring bike the bike I left there for his use. He doesn't. But I like to ride with the Grand Kids no matter the weather. So having a bike there is a plus.
Likes For zjrog:
Old 02-19-20, 04:03 PM
cisbrane

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
@cisbrane Great job! I use Zwift and my KICKR currently for training. When not feasible to ride outside (time constraints....or whatever) I am using TrainingPeaks and custom workouts I created by modeling some workouts from whatsonzwift.com and scheduling them. It has worked fabulously in keeping me on task. Additionally I use a 2nd TV to watch Directv, Netflix, Hulu etc while I run Zwift on other TV thru Apple TV. I usually do structured workouts in ERG.
Yeah, I think next up for me is schedule some training. I just did Tour de Zwift which had 7 stages and really motivated me. However, now that it's over, I'm not sure what to do but just randomly ride around. Still enjoy that - but having a planned workout is a good idea. I have been toying with getting TrainerRoad (not peaks) and then running TrainerRoad and Zwift simultaneously. Gotta get those sweat drops for upgrades!!
Old 02-19-20, 04:52 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

My local cycling club (an unofficial group), have joined a few rides and races in Zwift, even using a Discord server so we can chat with each other. And THAT is a game changer in a lot of ways. You can't "see" your team/club mates, but you talk with them, encourage, razz, tease...

I had a big month in December, Tour of London, and last month kind of fizzled. Only 1 real ride this month, a couple half hearted rides...
Old 02-20-20, 08:43 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by zjrog
[ I'm having a serious lack of motivation at present. Maybe it's just winter. But I do have a lot of personal life issues kicking me in the head right now too.

Motivation is a tough one to kick.

That makes things tough for sure --- im experiencing this as well
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-20-20, 09:42 AM
zjrog

Originally Posted by DMC707
That makes things tough for sure --- im experiencing this as well
Having a tougher time lately managing certain issues. Still doing better than I could be, but it saps all my strength and energies. Dealing with a near invalid spouse is not easy, especially while still full time employed.

I hope you find your way through your troubles Brother...
Old 02-27-20, 04:20 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
that's very nice! I take indoor spin classes - 3 times a week for about 9 years now. I have pages of stats!!!
I get no data from my spin classes. Very discouraging. All it says is i rode for an hou and went 0 miles. Messes up all my numbers on Strava.
Old 02-29-20, 11:13 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cisbrane
At the start of 2020 I looked back at Strava and was sad to see how little I rode. Excuses after excuses - too cold or too hot (100F+), too dark out, too early, no time, etc... I managed to maybe ride once a week.

So in January I spent the money on a Kickr Core trainer + Zwift subscription, and it has made an immediate difference in my life. Gone are the excuses above and my cycling fitness is coming back, and I'm overall more happy. I love finding group rides (low D category only) on Zwift as it really helps with my motivation. Now blazing Texas Hell Summers won't stop me from riding if I don't get a chance to start by 7am. Really like some of the Zwift communities, and there are Clydes on Zwift!

This may be obvious, but I highly recommended getting an indoor smart direct drive trainer if you find that you can't get enough time outdoors -- even during the Summer months. I dreaded my old wheel-on indoor trainer. I had Zwift, but the wheel on trainer ate my tires so it was such a pain to swap between trainer and outdoor tires all the time (my rims have super tight clearance; I have broken levers...). Going to a smart direct drive is a game changer, and now that many trainers are now so silent, it's a good time to get one/upgrade.

Excited to see where 2020 goes!

I am too heavy for wheel off trainers so I went with a good wheel on smart trainer with a spare wheel and trainer tire. I just swap out wheels and am ready to ride. I just have to buy a duplicate cassette for the spare wheel so I am riding apples to apples, and not apples to oranges.
Old 03-07-20, 03:52 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Found one in budget. Ordering today. I've missed my bike.