Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are there any deaf riders here?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-18-22, 09:16 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts

Curious about this. Raise your hand SVP if so.
Old 04-18-22, 10:10 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Well, according to the hypothesis advanced by the No Ear Plugs crowd, it’s only a matter of time before a rider with hearing limitations DIES IN A TRAGIC ACCIDENT.
Otherwise, doing the Goog reveals there are lots of deaf cyclists. I’m sure more than a few have passed through this clown show.
Old 04-18-22, 12:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I only wish I were deaf when the obnoxious emergency vehicle screams past.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-18-22, 01:10 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I am not but my wife is substantially so. She hears very little without her hearing aids, which she cannot ride with as the wind noise is very painful for her.

The Garmin Varia radar tail light was a game-changer for her being able to ride on the roads and not have the vehicles approaching from behind her scare the hell out of her as her 1st indication they were there is when she saw them beside her.
Old 04-18-22, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearhawker
I am not but my wife is substantially so. She hears very little without her hearing aids, which she cannot ride with as the wind noise is very painful for her.

The Garmin Varia radar tail light was a game-changer for her being able to ride on the roads and not have the vehicles approaching from behind her scare the hell out of her as her 1st indication they were there is when she saw them beside her.
That's great!
Was she riding before or just avoiding roads?
Old 04-18-22, 01:35 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kedosto
Well, according to the hypothesis advanced by the No Ear Plugs crowd, it’s only a matter of time before a rider with hearing limitations DIES IN A TRAGIC ACCIDENT.
Otherwise, doing the Goog reveals there are lots of deaf cyclists. I’m sure more than a few have passed through this clown show.
Thank you for your input, oh auditorily capable one. It truly is a clown show when there are safety warning labels on automobile windshield sunshades which state "do not drive with sunshade in place". You're right, that Goog is a miracle!

It's only a matter of time before we all die, tragically or otherwise. I guess it depends on how one chooses to live their life, or merely exist, in the most safety conscious and litigious country ever conceived.
Old 04-18-22, 01:37 PM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

She was riding but nowhere near as much on the roads.

We live in a rural place with nothing but 2-lane highways that are almost completely devoid of shoulders. She used to ride mostly on the converted rail trails but now will just as gladly start from home.

life changing the Varia is for her. Not as much as the hearing aids in normal life tasks, but as far as cycling goes, absolutely life changing
Likes For Bearhawker:
Old 04-18-22, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Thank you for your input, oh auditorily capable one. It truly is a clown show when there are safety warning labels on automobile windshield sunshades which state "do not drive with sunshade in place". You're right, that Goog is a miracle!

It's only a matter of time before we all die, tragically or otherwise. I guess it depends on how one chooses to live their life, or merely exist, in the most safety conscious and litigious country ever conceived.

Jeez, you got enough different issues mixed up in there to confuse a really smart horse.

We're not particularly "safety conscious" in the U.S. as compared to other industrialized nations. We're litigious because we have a fault-based accident compensation system. You can't expect the government in the US to support you if you get seriously injured, so suing someone when you get debilitated is a necessity.

Not sure why people think dumb warning labels are such a big deal, btw.
Old 04-18-22, 02:14 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

We live in a rural place with nothing but 2-lane highways that are almost completely devoid of shoulders. She used to ride mostly on the converted rail trails but now will just as gladly start from home.

life changing the Varia is for her. Not as much as the hearing aids in normal life tasks, but as far as cycling goes, absolutely life changing
My first thought about rear-facing radar has always been that my glasses mounted mirror does the same job and better, since it lets me see exactly where an approaching vehicle is behind me, with other spatial info not available from a rear-facing radar.

However when you mentioned that you "live in a rural place" it struck a memory and I am now changing my mind.

I learned to drive in traffic-heavy Chicago and I bike-commuted in traffic in busier-than-you-think Colorado Springs for 28 years and still mostly ride streets with traffic and am constantly (obsessively) checking my mirrors, I do the same while driving.

Previous to my bike commuting life I lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and back then I experienced long stretches of empty road, and I fell out of the habit of constantly checking my mirrors. What's more I began biking again out there and never felt the need for a mirror. Your post jogged my memory of having vehicles "sneak" up on me and startle me when they are next to me.

And now, even with my helmet and bar-mirror combo I occasionally have a quiet vehicle (including electric vehicles) "sneak" up beside me.

I still think mirrors are essential, but now I think I will view a rear-facing radar as a good supplementary alert device...especially in rural areas and of course even more so for the hearing impaired, which at 60, I may be joining in the not too distant future.

Thanks for posting Bearhawker my perspective has changed.
Old 04-18-22, 02:38 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Hi BH, is she using a sideview mirror ?
Old 04-18-22, 02:47 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by livedarklions

We're not particularly "safety conscious" in the U.S. as compared to other industrialized nations.
Ohhhh, yes you are To know this for certain, ask someone (an outsider) whose literal job it is to know and recognize these things. Like Martin Lindstrom, author of Small Data. Up in Canada, there is no where near the litigation that goes on on the other side of the border, not due to fault based compensation but due to "loser pays". That is, those who initiate lawsuits must pay damages and costs incurred to the other party if they lose. This unclogs the courts from most frivolous lawsuits; too expensive if there is no case to be had.
Old 04-18-22, 05:36 PM
Bearhawker

Hi BH, is she using a sideview mirror ?
She does use a bar-end mirror, but it doesn't show what's coming up behind her on right turns (the radar is something like 120* coverage) and on her drop-bar bike, the mirror can be set for either - both not both - the tops or drops.

Also - the radar paired to a head unit or computer shows not only how many vehicles are approaching (it tracks several and shows them as lights/icons relative to you) but how fast they are approaching. Faster vehicles are different colours (up to red) and the unit makes increasingly aggressive flashes/noises as they come at you faster.

I use a glasses-mounted mirror which I really like as I can adjust what I see independent of the bike orientation. The only problem I've ever had with that is the one time I was concentrating on trying to see if there were vehicles approaching from behind me as I was approaching a section of road that was really rough and I'd have to move into the center of the lane... and I completely missed the doberman that ultimately took me out. If you watch the video from my helmet cam, it looks like I am tracking the dog and actually watching him give chase and plow into me at the BB, but I was actually focused on the rearview mirror and was adjusting my head to sweep the road behind me as I was accelerating through 40kmh to much faster and wanted to know what to do about the rough road ahead.

Had I been using the wife's radar I would have been looking ahead, not back, as my head unit would tell me about anything I needed to know about behind.

Rare situation for sure, but proof that you can't always look forwards and backwards at the same time. Focused on the rear-view mirror I could *see* ahead, but missed the critical item (incoming dog) even though it was moving and would normally have grabbed my attention.

Another bonus for the radar is that it will pair to multiple head units so my wife and I get the same heads-up with only the 1 radar unit in use.
Old 04-18-22, 05:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ohhhh, yes you are To know this for certain, ask someone (an outsider) whose literal job it is to know and recognize these things. Like Martin Lindstrom, author of Small Data. Up in Canada, there is no where near the litigation that goes on on the other side of the border, not due to fault based compensation but due to "loser pays". That is, those who initiate lawsuits must pay damages and costs incurred to the other party if they lose. This unclogs the courts from most frivolous lawsuits; too expensive if there is no case to be had.
You completely missed the point. It's not that we're " safety conscious " (whatever that means) that makes us litigious, it's that we need to sue someone if we get disabled or we're likely going to end up living on the street. Also, a huge portion of the lawsuits in the US are automobile-related, and Canada has a no-fault system. We sue people here because it's the system we have. I agree that loser-pays discourages lawsuits, but Canada has that rule because you rely on different methods of risk allocation. Our system doesn't have the rule because we can't afford to discourage litigation without developing major alternatives to it, which would require a major overhaul of social insurance and welfare.

​​​​​​
​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-19-22, 05:31 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Rear facing radar by itself is fairly primitive. To take the radar into the 21st century it needs to be coupled with a camera that is blue toothed to a display that mounts like a mirror be it on the handle bar, helmet or eyeglass. When the radar sets off alarm an image appears in the display and shows the rider where the approaching vehicle is. Makes a ton of sense. To all you inventors out there, this is your next million dollar idea, and I give it to you with pleasure.
Old 04-19-22, 05:35 AM
topflightpro

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I'm deaf in one ear. I wear a hearing aid for it, but not when riding - wind noise and sweat are problems for it.

I don't hear cars or other riders as well as others, but it hasn't been a major issue yet.
Old 04-19-22, 05:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
IThe Garmin Varia radar tail light was a game-changer for her being able to ride on the roads and not have the vehicles approaching from behind her scare the hell out of her as her 1st indication they were there is when she saw them beside her.
I had a similar experience, and I have 20/20 hearing. Anyway, that is a fantastic success story.
Old 04-19-22, 06:58 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'm deaf in one ear. I wear a hearing aid for it, but not when riding - wind noise and sweat are problems for it.

I don't hear cars or other riders as well as others, but it hasn't been a major issue yet.
Ah ok, thanks for some factual feedback on the question.
Old 04-19-22, 07:00 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

She does use a bar-end mirror, but it doesn't show what's coming up behind her on right turns (the radar is something like 120* coverage) and on her drop-bar bike, the mirror can be set for either - both not both - the tops or drops.

Also - the radar paired to a head unit or computer shows not only how many vehicles are approaching (it tracks several and shows them as lights/icons relative to you) but how fast they are approaching. Faster vehicles are different colours (up to red) and the unit makes increasingly aggressive flashes/noises as they come at you faster.

I use a glasses-mounted mirror which I really like as I can adjust what I see independent of the bike orientation. The only problem I've ever had with that is the one time I was concentrating on trying to see if there were vehicles approaching from behind me as I was approaching a section of road that was really rough and I'd have to move into the center of the lane... and I completely missed the doberman that ultimately took me out. If you watch the video from my helmet cam, it looks like I am tracking the dog and actually watching him give chase and plow into me at the BB, but I was actually focused on the rearview mirror and was adjusting my head to sweep the road behind me as I was accelerating through 40kmh to much faster and wanted to know what to do about the rough road ahead.

Ok, sounds like for your Wife's situation that you have found a good solution. Mirrors are a valuable accessory in the City in my opinion
Old 04-19-22, 01:09 PM
Bearhawker

I support the use of mirrors at all times, but it is important to understand their limitations. My driving instructor back in the 80s had a saying that I thought was stupid back then but have grown to understand and believe to be true, in regards to the use of mirrors when driving (and applies to cycling in the exact same way):

"The mirror never says 'yes', it only says 'no'"

The point being that if you look in the mirror and don't see a car, it means you don't *see* a car, it doesn't mean that one isn't there. IE: it's one data point where many are needed. Look in the mirror, verify with a shoulder check etc.

I ride with a mirror almost always. Feels weird without if it's broken, etc. I'd ride without a mirror before I rode without a video camera though: a mirror won't prove who was at fault in the case of an accident, where as my videos have been used multiple times for various issues like traffic accidents, aggressive/illegal driving and even to prove a dog hit me. In that particular case the video was the difference between the dog owner getting a ticket from the police and my lawyer taking the civil suit. Completely eliminates the he said/she said stuff.

When possible I also ride with my wife's radar unit - it is *always* watching and gives me more data points that I can verify with the mirror and shoulder checks. I'm likely to get my own at some point this summer so I don't have to steal hers.
Old 04-20-22, 05:26 AM
topflightpro

Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I will add that my wife has the Garmia Varia radar and loves it. I bought one too, but it does not pair to my head unit. If I needed it though, I'd get the version with the display that showed how close a car is.

That said, I always look behind me before moving into a lane or turning, and I would not rely solely on a radar.
Old 04-27-22, 09:40 AM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hearing impaired road cyclist here. I mostly stick to multi-purpose trail or bike-only trail - thank god for those trails are plentiful in southern CA area.
Old 04-27-22, 09:47 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I still think mirrors are essential, but now I think I will view a rear-facing radar as a good supplementary alert device...especially in rural areas and of course even more so for the hearing impaired, which at 60, I may be joining in the not too distant future.
The radar is very-much a supplementary device.
Old 04-27-22, 03:10 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I'm not deaf - but do have considerable hearing degradation due to age with loss of high frequencies. Enough that it was becoming noticeable and I had to tweak my sound systems to compensate.

So about 2 months ago I broke down and got hearing aids for the first time. I get 2 or 3 mailers from hearing aid companies a week, but went to the same medical clinic that I use for all other health issues. I figured I might as well go with the latest tech - they are miniaturized over-the-ear types, programmable with 16 channel EQ. They link with an iPhone app to select pre-programmed modes (Normal, Music, Crowd) plus a bunch of user customizable features and EQ that I haven't even sorted through yet. After being accustomed to the loss of high frequencies, they make the world sound a lot more "crisp" than I remember, but I'm getting used to it. Good interface with phone, car, etc. App lets calls be directed to car, Apple watch, or hearing aids.

They also have built-in compensation for wind noise. I have only ridden with them a few times (Spring is slow coming to MN!) but so far I have had no issues with wind noise while riding - in fact it actually seems to be reduced a bit. This may be due to the internal programming and also by the fact that they are quite small and tuck in behind the ear. So far too cold for sweat to be an issue. I have had no problems with hearing and identifying the location of various ambient noises, cars, dogs, etc. The more I use them the more "seamless" they feel. Music sounds better too.

I am fortunate that the audiologist that fitted and programmed them has a doctorate in audiology and is incredibly competent. Cost a bit more than dealing with a part-time tech at Sam's Club, but well worth it. Note - I'm retired on fixed income, certainly not affluent - but when it comes to vital senses like hearing and sight I want the best I can afford.

And I also wear a glasses mounted mirror . . . .
Old 04-27-22, 03:15 PM
schwim

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Yet another not deaf but compromised enough to effect riding. I choose to never share the road with vehicles as I take my aids out when riding. I find multipurpose trails for both my road and mountain biking. I never hear what people are saying to me but I greet everyone with a smile and a "have a great ride/walk/day" when I go by. I figure I've covered all the bases that way, regardless of what they're saying to me.